• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When did Disney's Decline begin?

lachesis

Honestly I am just hoping it would stay strong for next 15 years until I retire.
Been with one of the Disney owned companies since Eisner days and it compensates me pretty well... at least so far. Like the folks that I work with, and all.

Things haven't been too well for Chapek, but I don't think it's fair to blame everything on him. A lot of things were already in motion by the time he took the full control of the company.
Covid hit the company pretty hard, and Iger basically came back from retirement and man-handled the situation for like 2 years after Chapek came in as the CEO.
Then one day (Dec 31, 2021), with just simple email out of nowhere, Iger was gone.

During that time though... it did feel like having 2 bosses - because you know, even though Iger isn't CEO anymore - but you really can't ignore Iger.

The company politics... no matter how much I think I know about it, always manages to surprise me.
For example, I thought Iger's successor would be from one of the media companies like himself but came from the park division.

Last edited:

Pilgrimzero

Disney is making a shit ton of $$$. Disney Plus is a huge success. Quality aside the new Marvel films are doing well.

Decline? Oh, you mean you just don't like their output.

Azurro

Banned
Since Disney started allowing more minorities make more creative decisions, that's when Disney started going down hill for you?
So I assume every movie studio has gone down hill then?
Because across the board they have been more welcoming to minorities.

Did you have a Shill signal or something? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Emperor's new groove was their last good cartoon. Id say they topped out in the 90s and have been utter shit since.

Pixar ruled the 2000s but then Disney took over and destroyed their output by having them release sequel after sequel.

Buying Marvel and Star Wars didnt help because their focus shifted from making classic cartoons to quick forgettable money grabs.

I think it started to decline when adults started think Disney films were for them.

What kind of developmentally stunted person in their 30s gives two shits about some silly cartoon for kids?

When I was 6 and watching He-Man my parents weren't screaming at their work colleagues because of some inconsistent character development between season 1 and season 2. They weren't going to church and crying because He-Man's friendly relationship with Man-At-Arms was inserting woke, LGBT shit into their show. They weren't writing into their local papers demanding the show be cancelled because there weren't enough folks of colour in Eternia.

They weren't doing these things because they were grown ups, not glorified man/woman/gender fluid babies.

They went to work, paid the bills and got on with their lives. When I tried to talk to them about He-Man they just smiled and said 'that's nice' and went back to getting drunk.

0neAnd0nly

Disney is fine. Quality hasn't changed. You're just getting older. A company with content steered towards kids is not going to feel the same when you get older. Disney's stuff now doesn't feel any different than what we had in the 80's/90's, especially when you consider their Disney Channel and straight to video releases.

Yeahhhhhh

That’s not the case, respectfully.

I have CMs in my family, CMs as friends. Due to the media I worked in, I happened to cover Disney, get invited to exclusive events. I saw artist work their magic hand drawing frame by frame.

They have absolutely changed for the worse.

If we want to deep dive… benefits have been stripped from CMs at an alarming rate, record setting price increases, many attraction / shows have been removed and not replaced (Osborne Festival of Lights, Electrical Light Parade, etc), bus routes have been trimmed internally, magical express has been taken away.

Content wise… Frozen was the biggest success they had in years following a really large lack of mega hits. Tangled was good, but didn’t make waves. Princess in the frog was good, but the same can be said there.

It’s been a trickling of mediocrity, and long time Disney fans are not happy (feel free to check the feel by listening to the DIS or visiting X number of boards).

And as someone who appreciates art and animated content, I think the quality has greatly diminished. I don’t think that has anything to do with age, either. It’s just not as great as it once was. Sure we can use whatever metrics we want, but do you really think Moana will stand the generational test of time Beauty and the Beast did? Snow White? Cinderella?

Nah.

Azurro

Banned
From an old person, I think the last movies I loved were Hercules and the Emperor's New Groove.

I think moving away from traditional story telling and having stories about inner personal struggles and such have affected them. You can't make an Up every time and just making the movies ethnically diverse isn't a replacement for a tight story, a great villain and a great story of overcoming challenges. Heroes give us aspirations, make us all feel better and provide memorable moments.

Moana and whatever else are fine and cute, but they are also not memorable. Their new woke employees and direction is not going to help them in the least in the future.

Kacho

I guess the mid to late 90s? Whenever they stopped dropping those banger cartoon movies. They lost me with Hercules and Hunchback but I was also getting older at that time.

Since then Disney seemed to have the most success producing shows for young girls on the Disney channel. Everything else was kinda whatever until Frozen which my girls are obsessed with.

Not sure who they’re trying to appeal to with their Marvel and Star Wars stuff. My kids don’t care and they have definitely lost me.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I guess the mid to late 90s? Whenever they stopped dropping those banger cartoon movies. They lost me with Hercules and Hunchback but I was also getting older at that time.

Since then Disney seemed to have the most success producing shows for young girls on the Disney channel. Everything else was kinda whatever until Frozen which my girls are obsessed with.

Not sure who they’re trying to appeal to with their Marvel and Star Wars stuff. My kids don’t care and they have definitely lost me.
Sounds like me

Davey Cakes

Disney is making a shit ton of $$$. Disney Plus is a huge success. Quality aside the new Marvel films are doing well.

Decline? Oh, you mean you just don't like their output.
More than ever they just seem like a content factory. It's made people very cynical. "Don't ask questions, just consume."

sol_bad

More than ever they just seem like a content factory. It's made people very cynical. "Don't ask questions, just consume."

So you ask questions about movies made for kids and families now but not for movies made for kids and families when you were a kid?

What sort of questions should we be asking?

LordCBH

Frozen being the absolute mega success it was started the death spiral. I wish everything animated they release wasn’t 3D cgi…..

Last edited:
Top Bottom