• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortals of Aveum studio has reportedly furloughed the majority of its staff

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Ascendant Studios laid off almost half of its employees last year

That’s according to a LinkedIn post by former employee Kris Morness, which has been corroborated by Polygon reporter Nicole Carpenter.

“Ascendant Studios has furloughed the majority of their staff,” said Morness, who left the studio last summer to join Phoenix Labs. “I can’t imagine what that would be like as that is worse than getting laid off.”

Furlough is an imposed leave of absence from work which is typically unpaid. While employees technically keep their jobs and are expected to return to work at some point, it means they don’t qualify for things like severance pay.

Carpenter said “this lines up with what I’ve heard at Immortals of Aveum developer Ascendant Studios — that a large portion of the staff was recently furloughed.

Haven’t been able to confirm numbers, and Ascendant hasn’t responded to multiple requests for comment,” she added.

And here we thought EA was turning back into the good guys.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Draugoth

Gold Member
I have been Draugoth Draugoth 'ed

giphy.webp

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
And here we thought EA was turning back into the good guys.
Nothing to do with them being good or bad guys. They're running a business and this game potentially cost them 10s of millions of dollars.

This is Exhibit A as to why AAA developers don't take risks anymore.

Roufianos

Nothing to do with them being good or bad guys. They're running a business and this game potentially cost them 10s of millions of dollars.

This is Exhibit A as to why AAA developers don't take risks anymore.
Exactly. Probably something close to 100m. Why on earth would they fund another game.

xrnzaaas

The game shouldn't have been greenlit in the first place with that kind of a budget. I mean you can miss the expected profits by coming a few mil short, but here they've only recouped a tiny bit of the overall budget.

And I'm not saying studios shouldn't try with new AAA IP's. It's just I don't think anyone was surprised this project in particular ended up being a total flop - it's way too expensive and there was no audience for it.

Last edited:

rm082e

And I'm not saying studios shouldn't try with new AAA IP's. It's just I don't think anyone was surprised this project in particular ended up being a total flop - it's way too expensive and there was no audience for it.

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought when I saw the trailer for this and Forspoken. "Whoever gave the green light to these games made a big mistake."

Mossybrew

This game feels like it was made by a C team with an A team budget. Totally generic setting, D-tier story and characters, mediocre action. This is not how you launch a new IP.

SNG32

I mean the high spec requirements and bland and boring gameplay did them no favours. Most saw this coming.

SHA

Cod is only working cause it's Cod, you can't create a creative world out of Cod, it's a dead end, it is not like the game is worse than Godfall but Godfall got a little more creative than Ioa and found it's audience, doesn't mean Ioa is bad, I could tell these people aren't real gamers, now it became a standard for a game to be successful, yeah people like Kojima who is not a gamer can't make his foot into
current market and expect great results.

Last edited:
Top Bottom