• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In ‘Enormous Success,’ Scientists Tie 52 Genes to Human Intelligence

entremet

n a significant advance in the study of mental ability, a team of European and American scientists announced on Monday that they had identified 52 genes linked to intelligence in nearly 80,000 people.

These genes do not determine intelligence, however. Their combined influence is minuscule, the researchers said, suggesting that thousands more are likely to be involved and still await discovery. Just as important, intelligence is profoundly shaped by the environment.

Still, the findings could make it possible to begin new experiments into the biological basis of reasoning and problem-solving, experts said. They could even help researchers determine which interventions would be most effective for children struggling to learn.

“This represents an enormous success,” said Paige Harden, a psychologist at the University of Texas, who was not involved in the study.

Dr. Posthuma wanted to find the genes that influence intelligence. She started by studying identical twins who share the same DNA. Identical twins tended to have more similar intelligence test scores than fraternal twins, she and her colleagues found.

Hundreds of other studies have come to the same conclusion, showing a clear genetic influence on intelligence. But that doesn’t mean that intelligence is determined by genes alone.

Our environment exerts its own effects, only some of which scientists understand well. Lead in drinking water, for instance, can drag down test scores. In places where food doesn’t contain iodine, giving supplements to children can raise scores.

Advances in DNA sequencing technology raised the possibility that researchers could find individual genes underlying differences in intelligence test scores. Some candidates were identified in small populations, but their effects did not reappear in studies on larger groups.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/22/...-intelligence.html?mabReward=CTM4&recp=6&_r=1

Fascinating stuff.

GWAS overhyping with minimal context go:

Scientifically speaking, this is pretty much a nothingburger given we probably have no context on what those genes do or how the brain even begins to make computations. Gattaca is a bit further away for now. Instead you should all be worrying about the cyberpunk digital drugs future with stuff like www.thync.com

PKrockin

inb4 someone suggests IQ score differences between races are explained by the heritability of intelligence
they're not

Feep

Banned
So if I have an IQ of over 170 I can sell my spunk for mad money right?
Assuming no other major health problems, you can get *some* money, yes.

But considering an IQ of 170 is 4.66 standard deviations above the mean, I feel comfortable in saying you do not have an IQ of 170. 1 in around 150,000 have this IQ.

Wolfe

But considering an IQ of 170 is 4.66 standard deviations above the mean, I feel comfortable in saying you do not have an IQ of 170.

*Ahem* He said over 170, silly Feep.

ZehDon

But considering an IQ of 170 is 4.66 standard deviations above the mean, I feel comfortable in saying you do not have an IQ of 170. 1 in around 150,000 have this IQ.
This GAF, Feep. 170 is the mean, along side 12 inch penises, rugged good looks, perfect logic, and unflinching honesty.

Top Bottom