• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists at Harvard University claim to have come excitingly close to finding the proverbial Fountain of Youth

Spyxos

Gold Member
fountain-of-youth_anti-aging_woman_3medium-960x640.jpg

Scientists at Harvard University claim to have come excitingly close to finding the proverbial Fountain of Youth. According to a recent publication in the scientific journal Aging, the team has identified six chemical concoctions that have the ability to reverse the aging process in both human and mice skin cells.

Dr. David Sinclair, a molecular biologist at Harvard Medical School and co-author of the study, has hailed this as a “breakthrough” and sees it as a step towards “affordable whole-body rejuvenation.”

Dr. Sinclair has even suggested that human trials could commence within the next year. This prediction has caught the attention of prominent figures, such as tech mogul Elon Musk. He responded to the news with curiosity asking, “Ok, so what exactly is it?”

How to create a Fountain of Youth pill​

The researchers utilized high-throughput cell-based assays to distinguish young cells from their older, senescent counterparts. These senescent cells are cells that have stopped multiplying, a characteristic hallmark of aging.

Through high-throughput screening, the team was able to rapidly test thousands to millions of samples for biological activity at the model organism, cellular, pathway, or molecular level.

The specific markers used for aging included transcription-based aging clocks and real-time nucleocytoplasmic protein compartmentalisation (NCC) assay. NCC is a vital function in cells, including stem cells, bone cells, and muscle cells.

Six chemical cocktails for anti-aging​

This comprehensive approach culminated in the identification of six chemical mixtures that, according to the press release, “restored NCC and genome-wide transcript profiles to youthful states and reversed transcriptomic age [biological age] in less than a week.”

Upon testing these cocktails on mice and human cells, the results suggested a de-aging effect for all six combinations.

“The effect of this four-day treatment is comparable to the total change seen after a year of a regenerative treatment described in a landmark study from 2019, which also focused on restoring epigenetic information,” said the researchers. Researchers evaluated age changes using rodent and human transcriptomic clocks, which predict biological age using gene expression data.

“This new discovery offers the potential to reverse aging with a single pill, with applications ranging from improving eyesight to effectively treating age-related diseases,” said Dr. Sinclair.

Some experts are skeptical​

However, other biologists have met this enthusiastic claim with skepticism. Matt Kaeberlein, a biogerontologist, offered cautious praise. He says that the innovative screening method could one day lead to significant discoveries. However, he also noted that the study is preliminary.

Kaeberlein suggested that the team should have validated at least one of the concoctions in an animal model. He believes they also should have shown improvements in age-related health metrics or lifespan before making these claims about effects on biological aging.

Dr. Charles Brenner, a metabolism researcher, raised concerns about three compounds in the study. The first is CHIR99021, which blocks glycogen formation activated during sleep to store energy. Next is tranylcypromine, an antidepressant. Finally,valproic acid, used to treat bipolar disorder but can potentially harm the liver.

The study did not mention these potential risks. Brenner warned, “These are generally not safe alone or in a combination.”

Moreover, Brenner criticized the study for not using single-cell sequencing to evaluate cell identity. He pointed out that researchers initially reported these cocktails in 2013, suggesting that the compounds are not new discoveries. “Getting these readouts on cells is not a groundbreaking study on reversal of aging,” said Brenner.

Amidst this range of responses, it’s clear that we need to conduct further research and careful examination before we can proclaim the arrival of a true Fountain of Youth pill.

Bullshit or not, I think it sounds very interesting.

Last edited:

mopspear

I imagine a future where I'm a thousand years old and just want to die but I keep getting guilted into taking the life extending drugs by my hundreds of grand children

Mistake

I imagine that reverse aging would just increase the risk of dying in pretty much any other way. Like some twilight zone business.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm going to ignore the sensationalized science reporting and go straight to the data.

David Sinclair is a genetics professor at Harvard and leads a life extension research lab at Harvard Medical School. These are findings coming out of that lab.

Here's the paper: https://www.aging-us.com/article/204896/pdf

We know that DNA itself remains intact as we age but there is an epigenetic layer that degrades gene expression over time. If we could reset that to baseline without turning us into giant Akira cancer blobs, then our cells would reproduce back into tip-top shape instead of as a saggy, groggy, low energy mess, and extend lifespans significantly. Of course, who knows what sorts of new problems that would cause, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

The researchers have produced a chemical cocktail to do just that, while mitigating the cancer factors.

Excerpt:

"Transcriptomic changes are involved in driving an aging-related decline in function and provide effective biomarkers for predicting biological and chronological age [46, 47]. To verify if these phenotypic changes reflected a more youthful epigenetic signature, we analyzed the transcriptional profile by genome-wide RNAseq. A comparison of quiescent young to quiescent old cells identified 190 genes that were significantly upregulated, and 326 genes that were significantly downregulated. Induction of OSK for four days led to reduced expression in 43.2% (82) of age-upregulated genes and increased expression in 65.3% (213) of agedownregulated genes (Figure 2A–2D and Supplementary Figure 2B). In all, nearly half of the genes changed by senescence were restored by OSK expression (Figure 2B, 2D, Supplementary Figure 2D, 2E). This finding is consistent with our previous findings and those of others, that expressing OSK in a variety of cell types and tissues, including human and mouse fibroblasts, can substantially restore the epigenetic landscape and gene expression patterns of old cells [7, 8, 26]. We call this process the EPOCH method, for epigenetic programming of old cell health. "

It goes on to show that four days of treatment with their chemical cocktail reduced epigenetic age markers by three years. Definitely significant.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If it works, I'm all for it. That's what medical advances are for.

it's no different than pharma companies making a polio vaccine or a cream to put on a rash.

In 1900, folks livd to 50, now it's about 80. Sci, medicine, safety standards.

Cyberpunkd

“affordable whole-body rejuvenation.”
oh boy dunk GIF

Affordable for whom being the skipped part here. Although tbh I do not see how you would patent that if it really works, the outrage would have been insane.

oh boy dunk GIF

Affordable for whom being the skipped part here. Although tbh I do not see how you would patent that if it really works, the outrage would have been insane.
Are we pretending there aren't sci-fi novels and movies where only the rich can live disease free and forever and the poor live shitty lives and then die?

This movie kinda sucked but that's literally what it was about.

Romulus

They need to at least reverse age all those chimps they stuck in cages for 40+ years. I mean they injected them with everything else.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Sinclair is legit. I read his book Lifespan. Probably a bit outdated by now but still an interesting read. He even reads the audibook by himself. Good lad.

Haemi

So it wouldn't make us immortal, but increase life expectancy and we would have less health issues in our final years.

Unless you're one of the 1% of the richest people, you'll never get to see it. They'll shove tons of money so only they can have access to it. Sorry for the bad news, but we're not a utopia.
I don't think so. The price won't be low, but insurance companies will make it available for us normal people. This way they can take the same money from us, but have to pay less, because there are less age related health problems.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

And only the rich will be allowed it.

Also you can't have reproducing and living forever. Wouldn't work.

Nah, human behaviour always evolve to better fit their environnement.
That's why we conquered the planet.

So if we cure ageing, people will react by having less kids and revaluate when to have them if any.
We went from 5-7 kids to less than 2 in the last 200 years because of Health and contraception.
I don't see how this is any different.

People who don't want to live forever will eventually exit the gene pool and people will stop saying that.

Also there is a good chance people will be kinder, take more care of the planet and all these other things, now that they know that they will have to live with the consequence of their actions.

justonething

Jada's BFF
Sinclair is legit. I read his book Lifespan. Probably a bit outdated by now but still an interesting read. He even reads the audibook by himself. Good lad.
He's not "legit", he's highly contraversial in the longevity space and has a history of blocking other scientists that question him. He's been shilling Resveratrol for years, still is, it's a problem because most of the research was falsified https://www.npr.org/sections/health...-claims-resveratrol-researcher-falsified-work Taking Resveratrol has known risks associated with it. He's done his on reearch on Resveratrol, but no one has ever been ever to reproduce his results. Take whatever he says with heaped scoop of salt.

If i can afford it, i wouldnt mind an extra 20 years.

But lets be real millennials and most likely gen zers just missed the boat on this. And honestly, living longer into the future might not be such a great future to experience. Could be poop. Could be chocolate.

Is this full body restoration though? Or is it just skin? Sounds like skin at this point, but might be a jumping off point for more. But its not like itd be “take this 4 day serum and live forever” situation. greedy corps will piecemeal the shit out of it nickle and diming along the way…. Take this 20k serum every 5 years to restore your heart, take this 2k serum every 2 years to restore your eyes. Take this 10k serum every 6 months years to restore your anus.

To keep your entire body going youll have to pay like 500k per 10 years… at that point id rather just opt for some new cybernetic organs.

Would have to lease my cybernetic parts though in the “own nothing and be happy” world. prob get cheaper parts if they are used and the prior cyborg owner couldnt keep up with payments, of course id have to use my house to pay for it and thus be a homeless cyborg living in squalor… forever at least.

Last edited:

mopspear

Boy I love Alphaville. They have so many other great songs too but I think most people (at least in the US) only know this one.

I think there are a ton of downsides to increasing human life-span just as there are upsides (I'm going with more downsides though) One would be that an accident is going to catch up with you some day and it makes me think people will be so risk-averse that they'll become very paranoid and worried a lot about losing their life when they have so much longer to live. I think some sci-fi novel talks about this but I don't remember what. I know this isn't what the news is really about but I just wanted to say it.

On the other hand, I think the biggest benefit would be that humans can be involved in long-term projects such as mega-engineering and interstellar travel much easier.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
He's not "legit", he's highly contraversial in the longevity space and has a history of blocking other scientists that question him. He's been shilling Resveratrol for years, still is, it's a problem because most of the research was falsified https://www.npr.org/sections/health...-claims-resveratrol-researcher-falsified-work Taking Resveratrol has known risks associated with it. He's done his on reearch on Resveratrol, but no one has ever been ever to reproduce his results. Take whatever he says with heaped scoop of salt.
Dude, it’s 2023. Everyone and everything is falsified. Heck, assuming Einstein lived in this day and age the internet would be brimming with statements of how much of an idiot he is.
Not saying that Sinclair is without his faults but damn, if you search hard enough you’ll find something against everyone. Like I said, I read his book and it was a great and insightful read. It made sense to me.

Last edited:

Romulus

If i can afford it, i wouldnt mind an extra 20 years.

But lets be real millennials and most likely gen zers just missed the boat on this. And honestly, living longer into the future might not be such a great future to experience. Could be poop. Could be chocolate.

Is this full body restoration though? Or is it just skin? Sounds like skin at this point, but might be a jumping off point for more. But its not like itd be “take this 4 day serum and live forever” situation. greedy corps will piecemeal the shit out of it nickle and diming along the way…. Take this 20k serum every 5 years to restore your heart, take this 2k serum every 2 years to restore your eyes. Take this 10k serum every 6 months years to restore your anus.

To keep your entire body going youll have to pay like 500k per 10 years… at that point id rather just opt for some new cybernetic organs.

Would have to lease my cybernetic parts though in the “own nothing and be happy” world. prob get cheaper parts if they are used and the prior cyborg owner couldnt keep up with payments, of course id have to use my house to pay for it and thus be a homeless cyborg living in squalor… forever at least.

I would argue the first 100 years of people getting access to this technology probably would wish they didn't. I can foresee weird dilemmas and situations, not to mention an increasingly shitty Earth to contend with. Most would just be living longer just to satisfy the fear of death imo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom