• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In retrospect, was releasing 3 Spiderman games in 5 years a little too much?

FMX

While the games are all quality there isn't much difference in the titles for the most part. With Miles Morales being a cash grab, would it have served Sony better to leave the fans a little hungrier for AM2? Should they have waited and released AM2 this year considering how much was riding on the game?

While the games are all quality there isn't much difference in the titles for the most part. With Miles Morales being a cash grab, would it have served Sony better to leave the fans a little hungrier for AM2? Should they have waited and released AM2 this year considering how much was riding on the game?
All of the Spider-Man games have sold like crazy. What you on about?

Bkdk

Nope, they can make as many as they want, I won't play it anyway so never too many for me.

BlackTron

It's Sony's safest bet, so it served its intended purpose.

I do think they are about maxed out, before 4 I think they would do well to slow down. Especially if they made 4 too quickly and it ended up samey/more missions, I think people would stop paying attention. It needs to be a huge leap. Or in my opinion, an altogether different game, like animated movie/comic book version.

simpatico

Typical in gaming forever with licensed stuff. The fact game companies never really took advantage of prime Avengers years is crazy. They really couldn't crank out an Iron Man game? I mean EA could just reskin Anthem, make a nice little 16 hour set piece joy ride and cash in. Probably could have released 3 of those made billions.

bender

What time is it?
I guess if you think they run the same risk as the Marvel movies with oversaturation....maybe? Insomniac has been pretty clutch for Sony, especially if you factor in Naughty Dogs stumbles. Wolverine is coming too and that should add some variety at least in terms of the gameplay formula.

releasing the 3 of them in 5 years wasn't the mistake. playing the 3 of them in 5 years? if there was a mistake, that'd be it...

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
No Way Smh GIF by MOODMAN

JaksGhost

releasing the 3 of them in 5 years wasn't the mistake. playing the 3 of them in 5 years? if there was a mistake, that'd be it...
But I thought you guys wanted the PS1-PS3 era of short cycle iterative sequels to make a comeback? You guys sure as shit aren’t saying this when you’re referencing the God of Wars, Twisted Metals, Killzones, and Uncharteds of PlayStation past. I really want to know what the “real” issue is.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Considering it has been nearly 10 years since the last Batman game, I'd say no. Having said that, I think it is time Insomniac change up their formula a bit. A new location would be welcome. Getting tired of seeing Manhatten every game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Holy fuck you guys moan about everything.

There was a time we had 3 mass effect en 5 years, 3 uncharted in 4 years, 2 GTA and 1 RDR in 5 years, no one moaning.
Yup. That 360/PS3 era churned out great games, new IPs and you could get a quality sequel in two years. Somehow studios figured out 15 years ago how to do that. And that generation was when consoles also standardized online play too where tons of games had MP modes. Seemed like no problem to add that in too.

It’s unfortunate that insomniac is now just the marvel developer.
The fact you just skipped Ratchet and Clank and only remember Spiderman shows that making Spiderman games isn’t a mistake. It’s funny how people want them to stop making the franchise that is extremely popular and has netted both Sony and Insomniac billions of dollars in revenue and profit so that they can work on smaller games that nobody buys or plays so that Insomniac can get shut down in 7 years like London Studio and Japan Studio.

No, Spiderman isn’t a mistake. Any game that sells crazy number of units and generates the revenue it does is never a mistake. You may be getting tired of them which is okay but there are other games you can play while you wait for them to release something that you personally like.

Jesb

The fact you just skipped Ratchet and Clank and only remember Spiderman shows that making Spiderman games isn’t a mistake. It’s funny how people want them to stop making the franchise that is extremely popular and has netted both Sony and Insomniac billions of dollars in revenue and profit so that they can work on smaller games that nobody buys or plays so that Insomniac can get shut down in 7 years like London Studio and Japan Studio.

No, Spiderman isn’t a mistake. Any game that sells crazy number of units and generates the revenue it does is never a mistake. You may be getting tired of them which is okay but there are other games you can play while you wait for them to release something that you personally like.
All I said was it’s all they’re doing. Never said it was a mistake to make Spider-Man. I don’t have an opinion on the games themselves. I’m not tired of them, I haven’t even played them. I don’t even own a PS5. But I just think it’s unfortunate that they became the marvel studio and that’s all they will be doing for a while.

All I said was it’s all they’re doing. Never said it was a mistake to make Spider-Man. I don’t have an opinion on the games themselves. I’m not tired of them, I haven’t even played them. I don’t even own a PS5. But I just think it’s unfortunate that they became the marvel studio and that’s all they will be doing for a while.
The fact they still make other games like Ratchet and Clank negates the statement that they are a “Marvel studio”. They are still Insomniac and they’ve added the successful Marvel games to their catalogue. I’d rather have them making Marvel games that are very profitable than have them only working on niche titles like R&C (which I love immensely) that place them in danger of being shut down like Japan or London Studios.

hyperbertha

But I thought you guys wanted the PS1-PS3 era of short cycle iterative sequels to make a comeback? You guys sure as shit aren’t saying this when you’re referencing the God of Wars, Twisted Metals, Killzones, and Uncharteds of PlayStation past. I really want to know what the “real” issue is.
None of them are 40 plus hour bloated crap like sm is so there's that.

bitbydeath

i feel the buzz and post release discourse has been lukewarm.

Like: "was pretty good but it was more of the same". the same with Ragnarok and HFW.

which is kinda crazy and ironic because those games were crazy successful.
There isn’t much else that compares aside from the upcoming GTAVI, I bet less people will complain about that third person clone.

Codes 208

I prefer 2-3 year dev cycles for the mainline games over the 1-2 a decade releases we see with games like pikmin, FF, TES and KH

Crayon

These games are nice but very normie-oriented. You should play xcom or returnal or something.

Spider man sells fucktons so there are plenty of people that not only want it, but want lots of it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I guess you missed this….

It’s unfortunate that insomniac is now just the marvel developer.
Too lazy to find it but someone should post the leaked insomniac roadmap. It’s insane. They got endless superhero games in the works till the 2030s. I think their TBD original IP is something like 2034. By the time it happens it’ll be time for PS7.

And who knows. 10 years from now when that game releases it might just be a different superhero,

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yes the first game got boring as fuck.
And the two others changed waaay too little

Audiophile

Gold Member
I recall near the end of 2018 I'd just gotten my nice new OLED, my PS4 Pro was all set up ready, the game had dropped through the post and I got my notification while on the afternoon shift at the car factory. I got home at 9:30PM, had my ribeye, then plonked down for 4-5 hours straight and had a great time. I was like a kid in a candy shop.

If you said to me back then that my response to the next instalment/s on PS5 would be a laboured "meh", I'd have laughed you out of the room, yet here we are. As I was finishing up the first game in the following weeks my imagination was running wild with what they'd achieve on the PS5 and a Spidey 2, perhaps 5-6yrs from then. Instead we got a DLC game, the overall franchise became full milquetoast, the lead character had his face swapped which completely altered his vibe, now on Spidey 2 rendering Mary Jane's chin eats up most of the teraflops and it amounts to a poorly polished reskin that somehow cost $350m to make. It's one saving grace is the fast traversal.

I went from "I'M ALL IN!!" to "Eh, I could take it or leave, perhaps it if I have nowt else to do".

Insomniac have been spread thin filling in Sony's gaps & Insomniac themselves seem to have lost their edge entirely ("approved message" aside of course..).

Last edited:
There isn’t much else that compares aside from the upcoming GTAVI, I bet less people will complain about that third person clone.
i don't think its about that tho.

The third person is just a fanboys rhetoric bullshit because is the easiest thing to point out.

I have been really thinking about all of this. (especially for sony) like, there is something more that higher budgets. that the increase of fidelity is not the only issue despite being the most obvious one.

sony games are having this weird homogeneity in one way or another that makes them feel "more of the same" that they have the same tone, themes and beats. to me is like a low-key Big Red Flag called: The Ubisoft-effect.
x1tuCyc.gif

Killjoy-NL

Isn't Spiderman 2 the fastest-selling Sony IP in Playstation history?

Personally, I have zero interest in Spiderman (or Wolverine), so meh.
Not bothered by the releases though.

if you can't see the difference between, say, the 3 uncharted games, or the 3 god of war games, or the bioshock / mass effect trilogies, & the 3 spider-man games, all of which occur in basically the same location, then i don't know what to say...

if you can't see the difference between, say, the 3 uncharted games, or the 3 god of war games, or the bioshock / mass effect trilogies, & the 3 spider-man games, all of which occur in basically the same location, then i don't know what to say...
Would you like a Spiderman game set in Paris? Seriously guys, I think knocking a Spiderman game for taking place in New York isn’t the right approach here. Pick another game, not Spiderman. A Spiderman game set in any other place but New York wouldn’t be a Spiderman game to most people. New York is pretty much part of the character.

Would you like a Spiderman game set in Paris? Seriously guys, I think knocking a Spiderman game for taking place in New York isn’t the right approach here. Pick another game, not Spiderman. A Spiderman game set in any other place but New York wouldn’t be a Spiderman game to most people. New York is pretty much part of the character.
look, i'm not knocking spider-man for happening in new york (i love the yakuza series). all i'm doing is simply pointing out that playing 3 games that happen in the same location over a 5 year span isn't quite the same thing as playing a trilogy of games that don't, & that i can understand some people (like myself, in the case of spider-man) not being really as excited about such a series as they'd be about one who's games happen in different locations. that's all...

Top Bottom