• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In retrospect, was releasing 3 Spiderman games in 5 years a little too much?

Mr.Phoenix

I guess you missed this….

It’s unfortunate that insomniac is now just the marvel developer.
I didn't. And is exactly why I said what I said.

After miles they released Ratchet. And then another Spiderman game, And are now working on a Wolverine game. And unless I missed something, it's not like they have said they will never work on another ratchet or any other game.

All that aside, something else I didn't even mention, even if Insomniac is "now" only a Marvel developer... why is that a bad thing? Some sort of ill-developed notion that making games based on Marvel superheroes is a bad thing? Which is something I honestly find really short-sighted; the reason being that at the end of the day, a game should be measured on its own merits, and not based on some prejudice tied to the IP its based on.

Eg. Marvel spiderman can be an Open World game as it is. Marvels Wolverine can be an action-adventure akin to GOW. Marvel's blade can be like Devil May Cry. Marvels Iron Man could be an FPS. Point is it shouldn't matter if they are Marvel IPs as long as the actual games offer different things.

And dont even get me started on the fact that most of those eMarvel IPs already have well-developed characters and worlds which should make for some great story arcs in games. This should be welcome considering how kindergarten general writing is these days across all mainstream media.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
yes especially that 2 of these games are sweet baby woke.
Insomniac is marvel and woke. Worst combo

Last edited:

Roberts

I don't have a horse in this race - I played the first one which I enjoyed but have just about zero need to play others. That said, they make them fast so that the target audience is kept well fed and that is all that matters. There is hardly any innovation from game to game but I doubt Marvel fans are really concerned about that.

xrnzaaas

Depends. People who love these games and who love Spiderman/Marvel will keep buying them so it's definitely worth it. Personally I got bored with the gameplay when trying to platinum the first game. Also doesn't help that the studio went super woke, but unfortunately that will also apply to their future non-Spiderman games.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Worst thing about Insomniac is they they have always released bangers on a steady drip but most people ignored them. Now we're stuck with Insomniac churning out woke Marvel stuff. Yes, Insomniac is woke, this cannot be denied, they fully embrace it. I've lost all interest in them and they were one of my favorite developers.

No it's not to much. If you don't want to play another Spiderman game just don't buy it and then you can create the anticipation yourself. Then on top of that when you're ready you can grab it on sale for cheaper. I still haven't played SM2. I'm not ready yet. When I'm ready I'll buy it and maybe even get it cheaper.

I did the same with God of war. Wasn't ready to play Raganarok. When I was ready I got it for $40 and it was great.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Not for me. I think of them like seasons of a TV show, almost. I will devour them for as long as they want to keep making them.

JaksGhost

look, i'm not knocking spider-man for happening in new york (i love the yakuza series). all i'm doing is simply pointing out that playing 3 games that happen in the same location over a 5 year span isn't quite the same thing as playing a trilogy of games that don't, & that i can understand some people (like myself, in the case of spider-man) not being really as excited about such a series as they'd be about one who's games happen in different locations. that's all...
The first two games happened on Manhattan with the official 2nd entry taking expanding out into other boroughs. Stop regurgitating this same map BS because the maps are not 1:1 in each game because I distinctly remember SM1 and Miles Morales turning you around if you went our far enough trying to each either Brooklyn or Queens.

Last edited:

Bond007

Disagree with Miles Morales cash grab comment.
I think to this point the releases have been fine.

Now- moving forward outside of planned DLC. Im good with a break from any more mainline releases. Which clearly it seems we may as we wait on Wolverine.

Last edited:
The first two games happened on Manhattan with the official 2nd entry taking expanding out into other boroughs. Stop regurgitating this same map BS because the maps are not 1:1 in each game because I distinctly remember SM1 and Miles Morales turning you around if you went our far enough trying to each either Brooklyn or Queens.
so you're admitting that all 3 contain roughly the same map, with the third simply expanding it. compare this to the 3 batman games...

JaksGhost

so you're admitting that all 3 contain roughly the same map, with the third simply expanding it. compare this to the 3 batman games...
No, because Spider-Man 2's map is twice the size as Spider-Man 1. You read where I said they expanded it out to other boroughs right?

Last edited:
Would you like a Spiderman game set in Paris? Seriously guys, I think knocking a Spiderman game for taking place in New York isn’t the right approach here. Pick another game, not Spiderman. A Spiderman game set in any other place but New York wouldn’t be a Spiderman game to most people. New York is pretty much part of the character.
Why not? Have NYC as the main open-world and then introduce 2 or 3 other city locations from around the world that can be the size of a burrow. Not too difficult to comprehend.

It's New York City... a real place that exists in this world. You just can't cut that off from the game.
son, i'm not arguing that you can. here's what i said:
that's all i said. i'm not disagreeing with you, or saying spider-man 2 shouldn't contain what it does. i'm simply pointing out that it does, indeed, contain it. relax...

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Holy fuck you guys moan about everything.

There was a time we had 3 mass effect en 5 years, 3 uncharted in 4 years, 2 GTA and 1 RDR in 5 years, no one moaning.
Nowdays, developers don't want to crunch or work OT, they want 4 day work weeks and work from home. No wonder there are so few games releasing from US developers.

yurinka

While the games are all quality there isn't much difference in the titles for the most part. With Miles Morales being a cash grab, would it have served Sony better to leave the fans a little hungrier for AM2? Should they have waited and released AM2 this year considering how much was riding on the game?
All 3 games have been a huge success, they are selling a shit ton of copies and got well reviews. Spider-Man 2 is even the fastest selling PS exclusive ever.

So no, they did the right thing.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

While the games are all quality there isn't much difference in the titles for the most part. With Miles Morales being a cash grab, would it have served Sony better to leave the fans a little hungrier for AM2? Should they have waited and released AM2 this year considering how much was riding on the game?

Based on your phrasing you're asking based on what is best for the company. Considering this game was released with the momentum of No Way Home and Spiderverse movies this was the best time to release the game to also capitalize on holiday sales.

If they spent another year polishing the game they would have spent another ~$20 million on development to polish the game, had to have spent even more on advertising due to no advertising synergy from movies with the current climate of superhero fatigue, and either release middle of the year or push it out even further to get holiday 2024 sales and would have sold roughly the same amount.

The game bizarrely got high reviews so polishing the game would have had diminishing returns.

Only lessons learned was strike while the iron is hot.

Top Bottom