• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming: Far Cry Multiplayer Game is an Extraction-Based Shooter

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A second Far Cry game is in development and it’s an extraction-based multiplayer shooter completely separate from Far Cry 7, Insider Gaming has learned.

As reported in January 2023, Ubisoft is working on two individual Far Cry projects headed by Ubisoft Montreal. While both games were under the same banner several years ago under the codename Talisker, management changes, and the game’s scope changed direction. The result was two Far Cry projects, Far Cry 7, which is Ubisoft’s next mainline title and is internally known as Project Blackbird, while its multiplayer game is called Project Maverick. Both games are now completely separate entities, with Maverick morphing into a Far Cry extraction-based multiplayer experience.

It’s understood that the Far Cry multiplayer project has changed scope several times over its several-year development cycle, with Ubisoft now set on the game being an extract-based shooter set in a fictional Alaskan setting named Alashnica. The game’s lore evolves around the player being lured into the region with the promise of freedom, only to discover a land of chaos with trust between people being virtually non-existent.

In true Far Cry fashion, players will need to search the environment for resources in order to survive. Resources include killing animals for leather to make gear, finding chemicals to make gadgets, harvesting plants for medical supplies, and finding weapon parts and bullet casings for weapons and ammo.

The game features a Hideout, which is your base of operations and your safe place to stash your gathered weapons, gear, gadgets, and more. It’s understood that this new Far Cry game is not only a solo experience, but can be a team-based experience with teammates sharing the same Hideout and loot.

As expected with an extraction-based shooter, the game loop is focused on gathering gear, leveling up, and purchasing perks. Although sources were unable to dive deep into what perks entail, it was said that they are directly tied to the leveling system. To level up, players will need to complete in-game contracts (challenges), so they can purchase perks.

Maverick is a high-risk, high-reward game, with permadeath enabled meaning if the player dies, they lose everything including gear, perks, and levels. The only thing the player gets to keep is the items stored in the Hideout.

While we do suggest caution on dates, due to Ubisoft’s tendency of internal delays, Insier Gaming understands that the game is currently scheduled to be released before Far Cry 7. A release date is currently penciled in for April 2025, with the game planned to go in Alpha in the first half of 2024. If Ubisoft keeps to this schedule, it’s possible that we could be hearing more about Maverick in the near future.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
How about Ubisoft extract themselves some bitches actual original game designers for once? The only thing they can seem to do these days is follow trends and pray they get succesful.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What is that even? I keep hearing that term but have no idea what it means. What are you extracting, and from where?

Kurotri

This won't have legs, Ubisoft just can't pull off multiplayer only games. R6 Siege was a fluke. I'll happily be proven wrong though. Far Cry 7 with the 72 hour limit thing sounds more interesting to me, wish we knew about the setting.

This won't have legs, Ubisoft just can't pull off multiplayer only games. R6 Siege was a fluke. I'll happily be proven wrong though. Far Cry 7 with the 72 hour limit thing sounds more interesting to me, wish we knew about the setting.
Ubisoft in general are a go-to example of franchise destruction in the name of profit. Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (yeah, I said it, people who insist us complaining have never played a Prince of Persia game in their life are themselves not familiar at all with Prince of Persia), Rainbow Six Siege post-2018, Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, Beyond Good & Evil 2, Assassin's Creed (tho Mirage is meant to be pretty good)... I'm just happy Splinter Cell and Rayman aren't present to be "modernised" by Modern Ubisoft, because the Ubisoft back then and Ubisoft of today are two different things.

Kurotri

Ubisoft in general are a go-to example of franchise destruction in the name of profit. Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (yeah, I said it, people who insist us complaining have never played a Prince of Persia game in their life are themselves not familiar at all with Prince of Persia), Rainbow Six Siege post-2018, Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, Beyond Good & Evil 2, Assassin's Creed (tho Mirage is meant to be pretty good)... I'm just happy Splinter Cell and Rayman aren't present to be "modernised" by Modern Ubisoft, because the Ubisoft back then and Ubisoft of today are two different things.
Well, they ARE remaking the original Splinter Cell over at Ubi Toronto, and the Mario + Rabbits lead fella has expressed interest in making a Rayman game.

Well, they ARE remaking the original Splinter Cell over at Ubi Toronto, and the Mario + Rabbits lead fella has expressed interest in making a Rayman game.
Here's hoping things don't go to hell, with those two efforts, then! I actually own the Xbox versions of the first four Splinter Cells, and own the PC versions of the first three (Pandora Tomorrow is abandonware), and I have to say that unlike say, Resident Evil 4, Splinter Cell 1 desperately needs a remake because it really hasn't aged well (I feel the sequel, Pandora Tomorrow, is a major improvement).

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Ghost Recon Breakpoint is legit good now. I'm legit excited about the next installment of that franchise.

Top Bottom