• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel 12900KS Review Thread: 5.5 GHz Boost. The World's Fastest Gaming CPU.

no, at least like a year ago or so it was still impossible even without including hitches. there were still sustained drops below 60 in some missions, and yes the flying level is one of them and the worst offender.
Surely a 5800x/5600x or alder lake chip can keep it above 60?

Anyways, I never play Crysis anymore. Warhead is the one I play from time to time.

Banned
Surely a 5800x/5600x or alder lake chip can keep it above 60?

Anyways, I never play Crysis anymore. Warhead is the one I play from time to time.

5800x + 3080

you can tell these are most likely CPU related drops as the game runs fine while looking at a screen full of transparencies just a few seconds ealier, and the framerate remains below 60fps even while looking straight at a rock

5800x + 3080

you can tell these are most likely CPU related drops as the game runs fine while looking at a screen full of transparencies just a few seconds ealier, and the framerate remains below 60fps even while looking straight at a rock

I think the important thing here is to just let go and say it’s an unoptimized mess lol.

What you showed might just as easily be gpu, because as you can see the gpu utilization is all over the place.

Banned
I think the important thing here is to just let go and say it’s an unoptimized mess lol.

What you showed might just as easily be gpu, because as you can see the gpu utilization is all over the place.

it could be GPU related, but given what is showed on screen while remaining below 60fps doesn't tell me this is a GPU issue. if you skip back a few seconds you'll see it running at 80fps while the screen is filled with foliage and transparencies like that are usually way more prone to cause GPU issues

in that spot, as soon as you enter the general erea of the beach, tons of enemies spawn in, including boats and artillery turrets. that is a fucking massacre on the CPU.

the issue is, I think unless we get a 6+GHz core clock it will remain impossible to reach a locked 60 in this game.

I bet disabling multithreading could help here, but not sure by how much

Last edited:
it could be GPU related, but given what is showed on screen while remaining below 60fps doesn't tell me this is a GPU issue. if you skip back a few seconds you'll see it running at 80fps while the screen is filled with foliage and transparencies like that are usually way more prone to cause GPU issues

in that spot, as soon as you enter the general erea of the beach, tons of enemies spawn in, including boats and artillery turrets. that is a fucking massacre on the CPU.

the issue is, I think unless we get a 6+GHz core clock it will remain impossible to reach a locked 60 in this game.

I bet disabling multithreading could help here, but not sure by how much
It has to be the engine. Gpu and Cpu not getting properly used.

If you think about it, we are WAY way way beyond the cpus we had when crysis launched, in single thread performance.

Even looking at the 2009 chips, like an i7 920, the 5800x is nearly 150% better in single core. The performance to reach 60 consistently, and really much higher is there. But the engine isn't scaling properly, even if it's only going to use 1 to 2 cores.

We may never see stable performance on the game.

Last edited:

Banned
It has to be the engine. Gpu and Cpu not getting properly used.

If you think about it, we are WAY way way beyond the cpus we had when crysis launched, in single thread performance.

Even looking at the 2009 chips, like an i7 920, the 5800x is nearly 150% better in single core. The performance to reach 60 consistently, and really much higher is there. But the engine isn't scaling properly, even if it's only going to use 1 to 2 cores.

We may never see stable performance on the game.

it of course is down to the games programming.

Crysis scales with single core performance. the higher the clock speed the faster it runs. it only utilizes 2 cores afaik and so you need at least 2 cores with a sustained hugh clock spees

it of course is down to the games programming.

Crysis scales with single core performance. the higher the clock speed the faster it runs. it only utilizes 2 cores afaik and so you need at least 2 cores with a sustained hugh clock spees
It's not just single core performance holding it back.. If single core performance could fix those swings it would have already done so with modern cpus.

Unless it's indeed more so clock speed that's holding it back, because Crysis being so archaic and unoptimized maybe it can't take advantage of a lot of IPC gains. I guess we will see when cpus reach 6ghz. If it's not stable at that point it's safe to say the engine is already capped out and it just is what it is lol.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Everytime I think about upgrading my Comet Lake build I look up 12900K see 241w and just laugh

'memba:
untitled-2.png

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If you do that as your work every day the time you save is far more valuable than the extra electricity bills. Besides, it is still less power consumption than a air conditioner, for example.

6bfan8.jpg

but in a serious note, things accumulate, and no with only 60w Mac Studio makes wonders vs 300-400w+ typical PC. If you're a PC gamer then you got no choice but to go full AMD, which is still an inferior choice to Intel+nVidia (I have an AMD build myself).

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Given time, I'm hoping we'll see more games start to adopt parallelism-focused methodologies like entity component systems so we can get more juice out of high core / thread count CPUs. There's only so far single-core can be pushed now that moore's law has declined.
one thing i hope for majorly is for games to go back to that physics obsessed phase they were in back in the 2000s, now that the new consoles have actually good CPUs. for a decade games became overly scripted and had simple physics, so going back to advanced physics systems would be epic. plus now that we have AI we can take that to the next level.

GreatnessRD

Fanboys of Intel and AMD wilding in the chat. Going out sad.

With that outta the way, cool to see Intel slang some wood with this KS chip. Now I'm extremely excited to see how the 5800X3D stacks up to this since it can potentially be the AM4 send off for me.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Fanboys of Intel and AMD wilding in the chat. Going out sad.

With that outta the way, cool to see Intel slang some wood with this KS chip. Now I'm extremely excited to see how the 5800X3D stacks up to this since it can potentially be the AM4 send off for me.
The 5800X3D wont even touch the i7 let alone the i9.

I wont be shocked if the X3D still get decked by the i5.

GreatnessRD

The 5800X3D wont even touch the i7 let alone the i9.

I wont be shocked if the X3D still get decked by the i5.
It probably won't touch the i9, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't compete or beat the i7. You talking with fan passion saying it won't beat the i5, lol.

Black_Stride

It probably won't touch the i9, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't compete or beat the i7. You talking with fan passion saying it won't beat the i5, lol.
Errr.......in gaming?
You do know the i5 and i7 are basically a few frames down from the i9 gaming.
If you assume the X3D wont touch the i9 logically it wont touch the i7 either.....by proxy it wont touch the i5.
You underestimate how much the IPC gains help Intel in gaming.
Yes there will be outliers as always but generally speaking the 12600K walks a 5800X and the X3D isnt a generational upgrade so its highly likely the X3D will be at or about 12600K levels if you factor in getting to 5GHz.

RhRj3qW4xbKSCjG5kEkgtT-970-80.png.webp

BlackTron

If changing and wiring up a motherboard wasn’t such a pain in the ass I would upgrade my CPU more often. Now I just wait until mine is completely outdated.

I've never swapped out a CPU before. When I install a CPU I make sure its the right one because I don't intend to ever remove it again -I've always done this. To me it's like an engine and a car chassis...I'll replace both together at the same time lol.

Nothing wrong with a totally inefficient, poor value chip just to say it's the fastest one out there. Except...didn't they already have the fastest chip? So yeah...I don't get it.

Feels like Intel cranking the dial up to 11 because they don't yet have anything new, innovative or better. Slim gains for massive costs.

GreatnessRD

Errr.......in gaming?
You do know the i5 and i7 are basically a few frames down from the i9 gaming.
If you assume the X3D wont touch the i9 logically it wont touch the i7 either.....by proxy it wont touch the i5.
You underestimate how much the IPC gains help Intel in gaming.
Yes there will be outliers as always but generally speaking the 12600K walks a 5800X and the X3D isnt a generational upgrade so its highly likely the X3D will be at or about 12600K levels if you factor in getting to 5GHz.

RhRj3qW4xbKSCjG5kEkgtT-970-80.png.webp
Well, I stand corrected in the 12600K argument, but I'm sure I saw in the hardware unboxed review it was beating the 12600K but a few frames. But even this chart shows stock to stock they're close. So based on this chart and according to AMD claims, the 583D should at least be a stock 12700K with PBO enabled. If the 15% stat is to be believed from AMD. But as I said before, we'll see.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Everytime I think about upgrading my Comet Lake build I look up 12900K see 241w and just laugh
That’s the max power draw with all cores maxed out. For real-world scenarios it’s much lower. For gaming it actually has lower average power draw + better performance/watt than Zen 3

Borderlands-3-AvWattCPU_DE-1440p.png

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
That’s the max power draw with all cores maxed out. For real-world scenarios it’s much lower. For gaming it actually has lower average power draw + better performance/watt than Zen 3

Borderlands-3-AvWattCPU_DE-1440p.png

My bad for not being clear I do a lot more than just game I for sure would hit that 241w power draw on my rig I have a 1200watt power supply right now and after calculating its way to close to my limit for me to comfortably use I understand that I am an edge case just for gaming its perfectly fine

manfestival

This thread effectively convinced me(along with benchmark videos) that the 12600k is the best purchase when it comes to these things. Priced most competitively along with top tier performance at least strictly speaking for gaming purposes. It might struggle like 4-5 years down the road but it will be time for an upgrade then. Also screw the 12900ks, you need a second air conditioning in your room for that thing.

This thread effectively convinced me(along with benchmark videos) that the 12600k is the best purchase when it comes to these things. Priced most competitively along with top tier performance at least strictly speaking for gaming purposes. It might struggle like 4-5 years down the road but it will be time for an upgrade then. Also screw the 12900ks, you need a second air conditioning in your room for that thing.
Should buy the 12400 and save a big chunk of cash.

Then assuming you bought an upgradable Mobo, you could upgrade to an 8 core raptor lake chip one day.

12100, and 12400 are the chips to get on alder lake, depending on how much you want to save. Raptor lake 13900k is supposed to have 8P cores and 16E cores which is very exciting, although the i7 raptor lake will be a better value.

Last edited:

manfestival

Should buy the 12400 and save a big chunk of cash.

Then assuming you bought an upgradable Mobo, you could upgrade to an 8 core raptor lake chip one day
Yeah I went with a Z690 and a water cooler. Granted I might just upgrade in 3 years completely and switch to ddr5. I went with a DDR4 board so that will stunt my future proofing but its fine. Gonna be selling my 8700k once everything works

Yeah I went with a Z690 and a water cooler. Granted I might just upgrade in 3 years completely and switch to ddr5. I went with a DDR4 board so that will stunt my future proofing but its fine. Gonna be selling my 8700k once everything works
Ah, cool. Enjoy your 12600k, it's a great chip.

And yeah, ddr5 would have been the thing to get if you're going to upgrade to 8 core 13 series and stick with that the whole generation. But man ddr5 is very overpriced.

Personally upgrading soon to the 8 core 5700x, then in 3 to 5 years do an Intel or am5 ddr5 upgrade.

126w for idle and +350w. Like wth.

Where are we going with this power consumption in hardware? More and more we see hardware consuming insane amount of power.

We need our planet with 100% of green energy asap. This is getting crazy. :messenger_anguished:

Where are we going with this power consumption in hardware? More and more we see hardware consuming insane amount of power.

We need our planet with 100% of green energy asap. This is getting crazy. :messenger_anguished:
Well this is mostly just a bragging chip, like hey and look how fast we can make a chip!

It's not supposed to be, nor will be bought by most users. Maybe overclockers for sport will buy it lol.

But I do agree with you that energy is important which is why the 65watt 5700x is so good. Nvidia in particular atm needs to focus on power consumption now.

Mercador

We need some new tech, pronto. Silicon had a good run.
If I remember correctly, whichever material we use, it's a physics matter, at 3nm, the electricity won't stay on the line. Correct me if I'm wrong though, it's been a while I have been at school.

Black_Stride

Well, I stand corrected in the 12600K argument, but I'm sure I saw in the hardware unboxed review it was beating the 12600K but a few frames. But even this chart shows stock to stock they're close. So based on this chart and according to AMD claims, the 583D should at least be a stock 12700K with PBO enabled. If the 15% stat is to be believed from AMD. But as I said before, we'll see.
No one buys a K chip to run it stock.
So you have to factor in the fact almost all 12600Ks can hit 5Ghz.
5GHz is no longer only for the best binned chips its basically whats to be expected.....if you really lose out on the silicon lottery thats when you wont hit 5Ghz.....so realistically when comparing the 12600 and 12700Ks you have to factor in the fact they pretty much always hit 5Ghz.
At which point the 5800X doesnt touch the 12600K even with PBO.

scydrex

Intel pride to make the fastest CPU in PC than AMD... no matter what. I don´t see the point in this CPU. Sure is fast but god damn that power consumption...

iHaunter

cpu-temperature.png

$750 + exotic cooling. Nah
So, let me get this straight. You want to get the TOP END CPU and not invest at all in liquid cooling? You intend to buy a high end CPU and is the tiny stock fan?

Is that the thought process? Or do you not understand who this market is for? It's like getting a Dodge Viper that gets 9 MPG and whining about the gas cost.

Trogdor1123

If I remember correctly, whichever material we use, it's a physics matter, at 3nm, the electricity won't stay on the line. Correct me if I'm wrong though, it's been a while I have been at school.
Quantum tunneling. Apparently they can go as low as 1nm though. One was done a few years back. No idea if it’s actual a true 1nm or viable though

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
So, let me get this straight. You want to get the TOP END CPU and not invest at all in liquid cooling? You intend to buy a high end CPU and is the tiny stock fan?

Is that the thought process? Or do you not understand who this market is for? It's like getting a Dodge Viper that gets 9 MPG and whining about the gas cost.
Seriously, these kind of top-end halo CPUs have been around since the Athlon 64 FX/Pentium 4 EE days. And every time, people bust out the same arguments about how overpriced and power hungry they are.

Yeah, no shit, we get it. Nobody is saying it’s a good value or that it makes any rational sense to buy it. We all know they exist just so someone can get that extra couple % of performance and win the dick measuring contest.

iHaunter

Seriously, these kind of top-end halo CPUs have been around since the Athlon 64 FX/Pentium 4 EE days. And every time, people bust out the same arguments about how overpriced and power hungry they are.

Yeah, no shit, we get it. Nobody is saying it’s a good value or that it makes any rational sense to buy it. We all know they exist just so someone can get that extra couple % of performance and win the dick measuring contest.
Exactly, I tend to use it for max performance. Like if I want to an Odyssey G9 + 2x Predators in Portrait mode as well. I'll need the JUICE of a high-end CPU/GPU.

I tend to only use i7K processors for my builds and throughout history a good air cooler was enough to have them even overclocked. That noctua cooler is doing a terrific job as seen on your own provided table even with an i9 10900K which indicates how good it is.

But now you require to have a custom water loop set up, if you plan to do some serious work and not just use it for gaming. For the first time.

iHaunter

I tend to only use i7K processors for my builds and throughout history a good air cooler was enough to have them even overclocked. That noctua cooler is doing a terrific job as seen on your own provided table even with an i9 10900K which indicates how good it is.

But now you require to have a custom water loop set up, if you plan to do some serious work and not just use it for gaming. For the first time.
It's a PURELY Enthusiast CPU. That's their target market. If someone is not already intended to buy a serious after market cooler then they already do not fir the intended demographic for this CPU.

It's a PURELY Enthusiast CPU. That's their target market. If someone is not already intended to buy a serious after market cooler then they already do not fir the intended demographic for this CPU.
Everyone whose getting an enthusiast i5K to i9K have at least a good after market air coolers [or at least simple AIO's] otherwise whats the point of buying an overclockable intel cpu. For the first time a cpu requires a beast water setup or it's unusable. Maybe I'm not understanding your comment or what you're trying to say or you didn't understand my first comment.

iHaunter

Everyone whose getting an enthusiast i5K to i9K have at least a good after market air coolers [or at least simple AIO's] otherwise whats the point of buying an overclockable intel cpu. For the first time a cpu requires a beast water setup or it's unusable. Maybe I'm not understanding your comment or what you're trying to say or you didn't understand my first comment.
I just think it's awesome, to have a truly enthusiast CPU. One that actually fully requires a beast setup around it to be fully realized.

Update on this.
Gaming performance is heavy dependent of RAM speed and tweaking. With faster RAM and proper timings you can improve your FPS by 15%-20%. But with this CPU you don't need this so much, with standard 3200 RAM you can have these ridiculous FPS. People who bought AM4 back during Zen1/Zen+ days when the memory controller was not that good and still have standard 3200 RAM sticks can just drop in this new CPU for massive gains without needing to buy a new mobo or faster newer RAM.

Top Bottom