• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interesting comment about Top 100 Games sold in 2004 (Fable is unique)

Don't know if this was mentioned before, but I found this in this months EGM.

Fable was the ONLY original IP (not licensed or a sequel) to be in the top 50 of games sold in 2004 (in the US). I guess it tells you a little something about the industry.

Only 4 games made it into the top 100

Fable
Rise To Honor (questionable as to "licensed")
True Crime: Street of LA
Red Dead Revolver

GhaleonEB

Well, that's because new ideas are hard to come up with. :D

Also, I'm retroactively approving of Fable more as a result.

Ristamar

On a Fable related note, a friend of mine was rather pissed off after finishing the game in just over 9 hours. I'm curious as to how much content they're going to add to the PC port.

jedimike

Ristamar said:
On a Fable related note, a friend of mine was rather pissed off after finishing the game in just over 9 hours. I'm curious as to how much content they're going to add to the PC port.

Tell your friend he's a dumbass... that means he got some great entertainment for less than $2.50 an hour ($20/9). You can't beat that with a stick.

GhaleonEB

jedimike said:
Tell your friend he's a dumbass... that means he got some great entertainment for less than $2.50 an hour ($20/9). You can't beat that with a stick.

Then again, most people (like me) bought it for $50. :/

That's the way of the world. It's not so bad--sequels don't automatically suck like so many people think. But it is a shame when great original IPs don't do well.

But, look forward to the next two years for this to change a bit. New hardware launches always spur some new IP content. For whatever reasons...

Ristamar

jedimike said:

*shrug* All in all, he said he was underwhelmed by the setting/story and the gameplay. I suppose Jade Empire spoiled him.

Regardless, I'll pass on the message for you.

Beowvlf

Banned
Meh, who cares what the name is; it's all about how good the games are. Should we really care whether it's called Burnout 3 versus something like Crash Course? Bottom line is it's a spectacular game. Same goes for many other franchises.

Mashing

Fable wasn't a bad game but it just feel victim to the same philosopy that all of Mr. M's games suffer.... ambition.

He nearly always sets his aim too high and then reality sets in and makes him come crashing back down to Earth.

For what the game is it's really not bad. I enjoyed what game was there.

pj

Banned
I don't think the timer counts time spent in menus and load screens. I tested it out last year, but I don't remember the result because it was... last year

Prine

Banned
Fantastic news for Fable gaining huge numbers as a new IP. Brings warm feelings to my heart

Fully deserved, one of my fav games of 2004 :D

+1000 Molenuex

Rhindle

Look at it this way:

There were quite a few great original games released in the last year. None were that successful, primarily because publishers don't want to spend the money to really promote an original game and take a gamble on its success. It's far safer to to pump your marketing dollars into sequels with predictable sales.

So Molyneux takes matters into his own hands and hypes the hell out of his own stuff. You can call him a dumbass for doing so, you can slag off his games for not fulfilling the hype, but the bottom line is that it creates an opening for interesting original games to make it to market.

Prine

Banned
Rhindle said:
Look at it this way:

There were quite a few great original games released in the last year. None were that successful, primarily because publishers don't want to spend the money to really promote an original game and take a gamble on its success. It's far safer to to pump your marketing dollars into sequels with predictable sales.

So Molyneux takes matters into his own hands and hypes the hell out of his own stuff. You can call him a dumbass for doing so, you can slag off his games for not fulfilling the hype, but the bottom line is that it creates an opening for interesting original games to make it to market.

Thats what im saying, it proves to MS that investing in original IP can be rewarding, and i hope that, with the right people, MS continue to finance interesting new projects.

On tha Japanese front, its looking great

Osorio

So...who's more to blame? Is it the consumers or the publishers? How many new IPs have you guys bought these past 2 years?

bycha

Osorio said:
So...who's more to blame? Is it the consumers or the publishers? How many new IPs have you guys bought these past 2 years?

Whole industry including developers for not finding another ways to fund, promote and sell games.

Examples of positive direction:
Valve making Steam and making huge cash on great Half-Life 2.
Now Sin 2 from Ritual + etc. coming on Steam.

http://www.heroesofthepacific.com
PS2 dev kits provided by the govement, funded by investors, developers made a demo. Now signed by major publishers, release coming soon.

Top Bottom