• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internet nostalgia in pictures

Drizzlehell

Banned
Man, what a thread.

This was a huge part of my childhood:

l2bcbd2s.png
01_podracer_setup.jpeg

2018-03-22-160510.jpg

ywmtxdpcynvl1qw9uanj.jpg

total-commander-screenshot-01.png

kyodai-mahjongg-screenshot.jpg

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
When gaming journalists played games for a living instead of chasing scandals and problematizing everything and talking about their childhood trauma. Was a lot more fun.
Agreed, podcasts like 1UPYours or GFW are truly missed these days. When the “what ya been play in’” section could run for over an hour of free form discussion about games new & old. Then a discussion of actual games industry news and not just gossip about YouTubers and streamers or how subject/topic X will offend group Y.

Brigandier

Came here to reference this, YTMND was unironically the internet's peak and it's been a slow but steady downward spiral ever since it fell out of popularity.

YOU'RE THE MAN NOW DOG!

I spent countless hours laughing my ass off browsing that site....Brian Peppers, Yiddish Cup (ebaumsworld), Moonman 🤣🤣🤣 good lord like you say peak internet.

TronNerd82

dYYsKzv.jpg

The time this guy, Hank the Angry Drunken Dwarf, a frequent guest on the Howard Stern show, won a landslide vote in People magazine's 1998 online poll for the 50 most beautiful people of the year. In the vote, Hank was first, Ric Flair was a distant second, and Leonardo DiCaprio was an even more distant third. However, when the poll results came to print, People magazine didn't want Hank's ethereal beauty gracing the cover (a poor choice on their part) and instead showed DiCaprio (keep in mind, Titanic had just come out at this point, and the general consensus was that he would've won the poll, but then Howard Stern fans started campaigning for Hank to win the poll instead).

Unfortunately, I couldn't find an image of the poll's webpage, nor could I access it on the internet archive, so it might be lost to history. I offer you instead the stunning and godlike beauty that is Hank the Angry Drunken Dwarf (R.I.P. 4/20/1962-9/4/2001).

Pejo

dYYsKzv.jpg

The time this guy, Hank the Angry Drunken Dwarf, a frequent guest on the Howard Stern show, won a landslide vote in People magazine's 1998 online poll for the 50 most beautiful people of the year. In the vote, Hank was first, Ric Flair was a distant second, and Leonardo DiCaprio was an even more distant third. However, when the poll results came to print, People magazine didn't want Hank's ethereal beauty gracing the cover (a poor choice on their part) and instead showed DiCaprio (keep in mind, Titanic had just come out at this point, and the general consensus was that he would've won the poll, but then Howard Stern fans started campaigning for Hank to win the poll instead).

Unfortunately, I couldn't find an image of the poll's webpage, nor could I access it on the internet archive, so it might be lost to history. I offer you instead the stunning and godlike beauty that is Hank the Angry Drunken Dwarf (R.I.P. 4/20/1962-9/4/2001).
This reminds me of all of those online voting contests that got raided. Stuff like sending Taylor Swift to do a concert for the school for the deaf and sending Bieber to North Korea for a concert.

Laieon

This reminds me of all of those online voting contests that got raided. Stuff like sending Taylor Swift to do a concert for the school for the deaf and sending Bieber to North Korea for a concert.

Shoutout to Pitbull for following through on that remote Walmart concert in Alaska though.

Last edited:

Aesius

Does anyone remember Kate’s Playground and the ongoing debate over whether she had a hoof?
I was on a forum where “What the hoof?” became a saying because of that debate. I’m 99% sure she did have one.

And man, those early to mid 00s internet girls could have been millionaires if OF existed back then. Kate, Tiffany Teen, Next Door Nikki are the main ones I remember.

Yerd

xjwaaldhmycqrugxk7dl.jpg

earthlink-webmail_mfaz.jpg

I used to work at Earthlink in Sacramento, CA. Only a few months and I moved. I did tech support for dialup customers. If no one remembers, Earthlink was like the AOL internet service.

I can't find any images of it, but the website steak and cheese.com it went away a long time ago, it's like the internet dungeon back in the 90s.

stile project.com was similar. I think it was stile project where he would write a blog type of text and hyperlink random words with images that range from cute funny things to someone eating scat. Or an image of a man on elbows and knees on a gurney with his lower jaw split in half from a motorcycle(I think) accident and his tongue and now predator jaws dangling. That one still sits with me.

I looked and I have a list of gaming sites in my bookmarks that probably date back to the olden days, most of them trying to find a site like VE3D after the site went to crap.

VE3D.com voodoo extreme. I stuck with that site way longer than needed. The guy that ran it died and it went downhill after. Can't find any images.
bluesnews.com I just looked and it still exists and looks the same I think.
gamegossip.com still has a working link and looks the same.
evilavatar.com
evilavatar.com.webp

gaminggroove.com

avault.com
avault_1-300x201.jpg

firingsquad.com
screen-shot-2017-07-18-at-3-43-33-pm.png

sharkyextreme.com

Also the sites for random chuck norris facts like he's the only person to win against a brick wall in tennis. There was also one for Vin Diesel that I have a link to, doesn't work, bummer.

Edit: lol I just looked at that firing squad image I linked and it has a list of all the old sites on the side bar.

Last edited:
i don't like this thread because it makes me feel old! i wish the internet was still as cool as it used to be. 2010-11 was where it all went downhill as smartphones really took off for the masses. early facebook was really good but as it got more popular it ruined everything. early facebook/myspace and msn should have been as far as social media went.

34c178fdf2bbffd21686d8a50ac0b49f581938cd.png

(I installed it, was good OS, too bad it didn't take off and maybe become what Linux is today)
Linux came before that.

Last edited:

Nikodemos

avault.com
avault_1-300x201.jpg
I used to be a regular on the Adrenaline Vault forums. The site experienced several crashes and database wipes throughout the years, which led to many of the old reviews (all the way from the mid-90s) to be lost, and users had to re-register a couple times over.
Once the outage lasted several months, which led to most of the community to move on. After it came back, there were only a few users left.
Angel Munoz (the site owner) eventually shut it down circa... 2011, IIRC. He later started Gaming Tribe, if I'm not mistaken.
I still wonder where some of the old guys are nowadays. Chip Henson, OmegaBob, Terry Penrod, The Mack, and many others...

Oh, and to add something to the thread theme:

gamecopyworld.com

totse.com

Last edited:

Yerd

I used to be a regular on the Adrenaline Vault forums. The site experienced several crashes and database wipes throughout the years, which led to many of the old reviews (all the way from the mid-90s) to be lost, and users had to re-register a couple times over.
Once the outage lasted several months, which led to most of the community to move on. After it came back, there were only a few users left.
Angel Munoz (the site owner) eventually shut it down circa... 2011, IIRC. He later started Gaming Tribe, if I'm not mistaken.
I still wonder where some of the old guys are nowadays. Chip Henson, OmegaBob, Terry Penrod, The Mack, and many others...

Oh, and to add something to the thread theme:

gamecopyworld.com

totse.com

I don't know what totse.com is but that reminded me of goatse man.

Nikodemos

I don't know what totse.com is but that reminded me of goatse man.
Temple of the Screaming Electron. A general den of scum, villainy, and really bad ideas.

Jeff Hunter (the owner) took it down circa... 2009, I think?

Last edited:
Top Bottom