• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internet providers to start policing the web July 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

eiskaltnz

I wouldn't be worried about this.

Here in New Zealand we had a similar system set up last year except it was 3 strikes and the content owners had to pay the ISPs to look into it.
I don't know anyone who has changed their torrent habits and I also don't know anyone who has got any notification from their ISP.
Recently in the news some group was complaining about the price they had to pay ISPs, I don't think it will be changed though.

Diablos

I'd be more worried about ISP's continuing to lower bandwidth caps; Comcast is currently at 250GB but I wouldn't be surprised if that gets lowered to 160-200. It used to be 320, before that it was not monitored. Compared to mobile caps (which are totally unrealistic and a crime imo), the landline ISP's know they have a lot of room to play with if the alternative is, what... 4GB for $80 a month? LOL.

cajunator

Banned
I wonder how this would work in my city, where the local Utilities system owns the entire fiber network after fighting off the ISPs and it offers free wireless hotspots all over the city.

border

You asked me if "I didn't do it" would be an acceptable excuse if felonies (malware distribution and spam specifically) had been committed on my internet connection. My answer was that... of course it would be, if I hadn't actually done it, and there wasn't any proof.

I did not ask about felonies. I asked about violations of the terms of service -- only some of which are actual felonies. Operating a web server violates your ISP's TOS, but is not a crime. I am not asking about legal or moral responsibility. Imagine that you have been caught operating a web server 6 times. Do you really think that "Oh someone else must have done it!" is a remotely plausible excuse to prevent service termination? You couldn't get shit locked down the first 5 times you received notice?

Why shouldn't they have to prove that copyright infringement has actually occurred if they want to terminate my ISP contract, and cut off my access to what should (by all rights) be a utility?

Because it's a contract with a private company, and not something that you are legally entitled to?

border

If you could get the latest episode of, for example, True Blood for $3-5 a pop in HD as an mpeg-4 file, directly from the show's official website, with no subscription to an overpriced cable plan or other bullshit fees -- that would do more than anything else to combat torrenting, newsgroups, megaupload-like services, etc.

I don't think you have a very good grasp of what TV networks are doing about piracy. You can already do this with basically every show on basic cable or network television. I'm not sure if you picked an HBO show because they're one of the few networks that doesn't provide next-day access to shows, but they are the exception rather than the norm. Episodes are up on Amazon and Xbox Live and Vudu the day after they air.

It doesn't seem to have slowed down piracy very much.

Sobriquet

3-d modeling and special effects software is pretty inexpensive now. its also getting easier to use, allowing for cheaper labor

I thought you were talking about production costs, which are climbing. Of course the price of technology is getting lower, but it still doesn't affect the bottom line. Labor costs are going up as well.

Well Youtube, it's been fun.

What do you mean? This will have no effect on YouTube.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
I thought you were talking about production costs, which are climbing. Of course the price of technology is getting lower, but it still doesn't affect the bottom line. Labor costs are going up as well.

What do you mean? This will have no effect on YouTube.

labor costs are going up because of the system. everything will have to be reworked for crowd sourcing

border

I can buy a copy of 3D Studio Max for $3000, so clearly that means we use Kickstarter to fund the next Toy Story and Assassin's Creed!

Blah blah. I don't care what side of the issue you are on, the simple fact is that these industry fuckers basically view torrenting, say, Dexter Season 2 as being no different than walking into Target and jacking the Blu-Ray set. You cannot prove that; it's impossible. Yet they use this as justification for taking one step closer to getting what they really want: policing the Internet and controling the flow of content to suit their needs over anyone else's, which is anticompetetive to say the least, and threatens the open nature of the Internet itself -- both of these things are far more important than a copyright holder kicking and screaming until they get their way just because. There is absolutely NO basis for their tactics and it is infuriating that they can get away with this.

It's not the latest move that pisses me off, but their "war on piracy" as a whole that makes my blood pressure rise. They spend (waste) so much money "combating" piracy that they're pushing themselves deeper into debt than they would if they'd just get a grip on reality. What a bunch of neanderthals.

I really hope they just burn themselves out and implode within the next ten years. They champion a decaying business model, and the faster they get out of the way the better off we are. The Internet IS the future of entertainment, information, commerce, you name it. These assholes need to get out of the way instead of trying to get a stranglehold on something that was never really theirs to seize in the first place. Take part in it, fine. But don't you dare police it with baseless claims to back your actions because you say so. That's not the way it works.

I totally agree. The benefits of an open internet are so huge that most of us are not able to grasp it. Im against piracy but what they are doing is harmful to society as a whole. I think that big media corporations dont like the internet because it makes them lower their prices.

I can buy a copy of 3D Studio Max for $3000, so clearly that means we use Kickstarter to fund the next Toy Story and Assassin's Creed!

Thats is also quite true. The price of making media is going down fast every single year and there is more talent out there than the big media corporations want you to believe.

cajunator

Banned
If only. A few cities have it, but they had to fight lengthy court battles to make it happen.

This is true. My city had to go through all kinds of shit to get it. It wasnt an overnight thing.
I think it would be a lot more difficult for this sort of measure to go forward if ISPs were much less of a factor like the situation here. Although they have adjusted priced downward to a very drastic level in order to compete.

LordCanti

This is true. My city had to go through all kinds of shit to get it. It wasnt an overnight thing.
I think it would be a lot more difficult for this sort of measure to go forward if ISPs were much less of a factor like the situation here. Although they have adjusted priced downward to a very drastic level in order to compete.

I'm hoping for Google's internet service to come along and destroy them, or at least force them to compete.

sans_pants

avec_pénis

you seem to be dropping some sarcasm but actually in 10 years i expect things like that. the technology is there, now more people just need to get trained on it, and of course you need good artists. but to further that, you no longer need big studios to do the work, either. you can build the whole thing piecemeal.

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-en...60-cgi-gets-crowd-sourced-for-new-sci-fi-show

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The article in the OP seems (intentionally?) vague about whatever they're ACTUALLY DOING - best I can guess is they're just going to cut you off if you get enough complaints from copyright holders? Because this is something they already can do and they do send those letters out to you if you pirate stuff from what I understand.

I don't think they can actually monitor the content of your communications, although that's not my area of legal expertise.

pompidu

So is this torrents? Where someone is connecting to public tracker where he can be held accountable. If just the websites, it would be illegal to look through your data without a warrant.

TwiztidElf

I'm not completely across the technicalities of wireless mesh networks, but won't they eventually completely negate this centralised control anyway?

wouldn't this mean the ISPs will monitor all internet activity? so they know exactly which sites you are going to and exactly what content you are downloading/watching/reading/uploading?

isn't that illegal, and invasion of privacy?

Persona7

Banned
TOR is kind of scary, I was using a web browser in a linux distro that had that built in for some reason and I didn't think anything of it but I was browsing the internet and came across a free soundtrack some game developer posted and they had it on mediafire, so I clicked the link and it said my IP address through TOR was banned for posting illegal content. I guess someone on the TOR network was uploading music or something like that.

Mistake

TOR is kind of scary, I was using a web browser in a linux distro that had that built in for some reason and I didn't think anything of it but I was browsing the internet and came across a free soundtrack some game developer posted and they had it on mediafire, so I clicked the link and it said my IP address through TOR was banned for posting illegal content. I guess someone on the TOR network was uploading music or something like that.
Weird. And upon further reading, it looks like half the internet wouldn't be as workable with it either : / I'll just go with my second option. Assuming everyone's identity is the same as being anonymous

border

you seem to be dropping some sarcasm but actually in 10 years i expect things like that. the technology is there, now more people just need to get trained on it, and of course you need good artists.

No, you need the good artists to take a 90% paycut. And you need the people that train those good artists need to take a 90% paycut. The price of the software and hardware is not what results in the bloated cost of videogames and CGI. Of course if the people that make those things are going to have to make 1/10th of what they used to, then they are probably going to find another profession rather than toil away for no reward.

not when the indies can do it just as well

Except that independents can't really do things as well.....at least not with the kind of money you'd expect to raise on a Kickstarter.

The irony is that you're promoting independent development, but a lot of what makes indies so special is going to be difficult to sell to a mass Kickstarter audience. A film like DRIVE sounds dull and boilerplate on paper - it would have been very difficult to pitch sight-unseen to a group of average moviegoers. It isn't until the director and actors and cinematographers add their touch that DRIVE becomes something special.

And even the very-cheap DRIVE still had a 15 million dollar budget. Has any Kickstarter project ever even come close to raising that much money?

As others have pointed out on the Gaming side too, crowd-sourced funding is a house of cards waiting to be blown over by the slightest wind. What happens when productions go over budget, or a project simply doesn't finish? What happens when there is gross mismanagement because creative types do not have producers and executives looking over their shoulders to make sure the money is being spent properly? Eventually the system will fail, and once people's faith in Kickstarter-esque projects is shaken, then the whole thing comes crumbling down.

Seems to me holding people's internet connections hostage while their tied up in ridiculous legal "piracy" disputes is pretty reprehensible, especially if not offered immediate refunds and full transparency. But go figure, these practices aren't meant to be a two way street.

I'm interested in exactly what they are monitoring, how they are doing so, and what personal information of mine is being viewed and by whom? The only positive thing is, based on these exact questions lies a very good defense for consumers and their rights. Whether those rights are respected by the state is another question.

So if ever in a bind, any sound legal defense here lies in:

-Exactly what they are monitoring, specifically.
-How they are doing so.
-What personal information of mine is being viewed and by whom.

Herein lies a very sound investigation into a private citizens individual information rights, and how they are viewed and upheld by the courts. Furthermore it also will help drastically to uncover ways to get around and eventually bypass this stuff, information and all.

Kind of reminds of the Wikileaks stuff. The government is allowed to look through your stuff, scan your body for paraphernalia, look at your private personal history...but don't you dare even attempt to give government business and officials the same treatments. It's a one way street.

jorma

is now taking requests
On a related note, the Swedish parliament voted yes to the data retention act 2 days ago, and the ISP Bahnhof immediately went public saying they would do everything they could legally to protect their customers (like encrypting and anonymising all traffic) when this law takes effect.

All ISP's are not the same.

I do not advocate piracy at all.
But I don't see how piracy is a lost sale.
I mean "this song was downloaded illegally 3,000,000 times , so we lost 12,000,000 in sale dollars". Did they though? How many would of downloaded it legally?? Did they download it just because they could??

I agree with a poster on the first page. I actually believe companies spend more fighting piracy than they actually lose.

ajf009

How will this stop anything?? If people really want to they could just go to a starbucks or mcdonalds and torrent from there

red731

35b6ec.jpg

After reading OP I immediately though about that sentence and guess what - internet had it.

WOW. I actually predicted this last year in a term paper I did.

A handful of countries around the world already have laws like this, not sure if we are lucky that we get 6 strikes instead of 3. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom