• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interview:Suda 51 on Project S (I can't comment on that)

Lobster

Banned
nterview: Suda 51 on No More Heroes
The director of Killer 7 says he promises to make his new Wii title more violent than Manhunt 2.
by Matt Casamassina

US, February 16, 2007 - You may not recognize the name Goichi Suda, but you probably know his handle: Suda 51. The moniker is a play on the Japanese words Goichi and Suda, which translate to the numbers 5 and 1 respectively. Suda is president of Grasshopper Manufacture, which has made such titles as Super Fire Pro Wrestling for Super NES, Contact for DS, and perhaps most memorable of all, Killer 7 for GameCube. The latter effort -- a gruesome, surreal adventure title -- received critical acclaim for its stylized visuals and engaging storyline. It remains one of the most violent projects available for any previous generation console. Now, Suda and his 40-plus-man team at Grasshopper are working on No More Heroes for Nintendo's new Wii system. The game is set to be every bit as original and brutal as its predecessor. We recently had the chance to chat with Suda about his game design philosophies and No More Heroes. Here's what he had to say:

IGN Wii: is it true that you worked as an undertaker before breaking into game development? What prompted you to try your hand at game design?

Suda: Yes, it is true. My former job was as an undertaker . I used to work in the flower shop, mostly preparing flowers for the funerals as well. When I worked as an undertaker, a game studio called Human, which produced "Fire Pro-Wrestling," the most popular pro wrestling game at that time, was recruiting staff members. I had a strong confidence due to my knowledge of professional wrestling and thought that I could probably create pro wrestling games. So, that's how I started my career as a game designer.

IGN Wii: What is your favorite videogame of all time and why? On the same note, what is your favorite movie of all time and why?

Suda: My favorite game is Out of this World. I was shocked and impressed by the game by Erick Chahi. My favorite movie is Paris, Texas. I was very moved by this movie, and that feeling still remains today.

IGN Wii: In your opinion, are developers telling good stories in videogames?

Suda: I think videogames telling "good" stories do exist. However, I feel that there are still few videogames that actually tell good stories in the game. Not to cause any misunderstandings, but what I would like to say is that it is probably because most of the time, not many publishers look for and request or expect developers to tell/focus on good stories in the game. Unlike the movies, I think people are not expecting to hear "good" stories when playing the game. So, there are only few opportunities for the developers to tell good stories in the game.

IGN Wii: Do you consider games an art form?

Suda: I assure you that videogames are an extension of an art form. In my opinion, the highest form of art is the existence of videogames.

IGN Wii: You have been a big Nintendo supporter -- first on GameCube and soon on Wii. Why have you decided to put your games on Nintendo platforms?

Suda: I find Nintendo's support to be very satisfying. Since GameCube was an ideal platform as a developer, I decided to develop a new game on Wii as well.

IGN Wii: We loved Killer 7. Would you ever consider doing a sequel?

Suda: I am happy to hear that you loved Killer 7. Thank you! I don't exactly know whether there will be a sequel, because the Killer 7 IP belongs to Capcom. I am not at all opposed to the idea of developing sequels to the game at all, but I always want to challenge and create games with new ideas if possible.

IGN Wii: Please explain the premise for No More Heroes.

Suda: The main character, Travis Touchdown, was born from my imagination -- an idea that Johnny Knoxville (an actor from Jackass) is a Japanese anime otaku (animation freak) and this led him to be interested in Japanese martial arts. Then, he finds himself talented in martial arts. Johnny is also a Star Wars freak, and happens to purchase a lightsaber on an Internet auction. After that, he starts to make his living as an assassin using this lightsaber. This is how Travis was born, and after that I started to work on planning No More Heroes.

The story begins when Travis is ranked at the eleventh place of the killer association by an unexpected coincidence. Travis is now a qualified assassin on this ranking list, and aims to become the ultimate, strongest assassins of all. It is sort of like a growing-up story of a young assassin/kid which progresses by defeating all other assassins from 10th to the 1st place. This ranking match with other assassins is the main part of the story.

IGN Wii: Killer 7 was an "on-rails"-style adventure game. How is No More Heroes different in terms of what you can do and where you can go??

Suda: No More Heroes is not an "on-rails"-style adventure game. It is a free running/roaming style action game. The title is set in a small fictional town called Santa Destroy, located on the US West Cost. Story missions (Killer ranking rounds) and submissions (money earnings) are scattered throughout the map. The game progresses after players choose missions. No More Heroes is a genuine action where players control main character, Travis, but it hardly uses the wireless remote controller, which is one of the characteristics of Wii. The basic tactic is to attack with A button. The finishing move/attack is made by using the motion of the Wii controller. It is totally a different type of game from Killer 7.

IGN Wii: Killer 7 was both profane and violent. How does No More Heroes compare?

Suda: No More Heroes is violent as well, but it is different from Killer 7. The game's style will be very standard. I'm not quite sure if this would be the kind that pushes the envelope, but Travis is very poor -- he lives in poverty. We prepared some missions besides the regular levels. For example, there are missions where players volunteer to pick up trash, a real boring part time job as a stamper, and an incomprehensible job like human bowling. ?

IGN Wii: Can Travis go anywhere in Santa Destroy?

Suda: Yes, Travis is able to roam freely on the full map.

IGN Wii: What vehicles can you drive?

Suda: Travis will be able to roam around on his favorite motorcycle, "Schpel Tiger." However, players will not be able to steal vehicles.

IGN Wii: Is the game running on the same engine as Killer 7?

?Suda: No, it is completely new engine. We made the engine so that it would be compatible with the new free-running gameplay.

IGN Wii: In your opinion, is Travis Touchdown a likable hero?

Suda: I would be certainly be happy if people like Travis because yes I think he has an attractive personality.

IGN Wii: Are there any plans to support WiiConnect24 with downloadable content for No More Heroes??

?Suda: We are still deciding whether or not we will support that feature.

IGN Wii: Will the title run in progressive-scan and 16:9 modes?

Suda: Yes.

IGN Wii: What do you think of the Wii hardware so far?

Suda: I think that it is probably best to forget and abandon the existing game design know-how once you develop for Wii. I feel that Wii enables developers to create new types and styles of games. I'll do my best and create No More Heroes as a standard violence game.

IGN Wii: Wii is selling very well around the world. Did you expect that to happen?

Suda: Yes, ever since E3 of last year, I was expecting Wii to sell very well around the world.

IGN Wii: What do you think of PS3 and Xbox 360?

Suda: I am very interested in Xbox 360. I want to develop games for Xbox 360 as soon as possible. In fact, I am planning the next project for Xbox 360. As for PS3, I don't have enough materials/topics to comment on this because there is only a small chance for us to develop for the console at this point in time.

IGN Wii: Who is your favorite videogame designer?

Suda: Erick Chahi. I am also a fan of Kojima-san and Mikami-san, and at the same time I respect them very much.

IGN Wii: There is word that you're planning to work with Hideo Kojima on a game for Wii known only as 'Project S.' Is this true?

Suda: I am sorry, but I can't make any comments on this.

IGN Wii: Is Project S a sequel to the classic franchise Snatcher?

Suda: I am sorry, but I can't make any comments on this either.?

IGN Wii: Fair enough. Finally, why do you think fans should be excited for No More Heroes?

Suda: We are tuning up No More Heroes to be simple and comfortable, but exciting and refreshing as a game. The game has a unique sense of humor and I hope fans will be excited about and look forward to it. ?

?I'll also try my best to make No More Heroes as violent, or even more violent than Manhunt 2!

Source

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Eteric Rice said:
Project "S" going to be another Wii game?
If it's what he's working on next then yes. He told GI during an interview with them that he has started to work on another Wii game.

Also, the title is misleading, the interview is about No More Heroes, the fact that he says he can't comment on Project S is not news.

No More Heroes has got to be one of my most anticipated titles for any system.

Project S, please please please be Snatcher. Then remake Policenauts, too.

Lobster

Banned
jj984jj said:
If it's what he's working on next then yes. He told GI during an interview with them that he has started to work on another Wii game.

Also, the title is misleading, the interview is about No More Heroes, the fact that he says he can't comment on Project S is not news.

Yeah I know. The website I read it from only quoted the Project S part. Then I read from IGN. I changed title..but it doesn't affect the thread name.

jvalioli

I love how right after he says he can't comment on Project S at all, they ask him another question dealing with Project S.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Again, Suda's one of my favs.

40 member team? Killer7 only had 20... looks like they are staffing up!
Unless this includes the team they worked "with" on Contact, which I believe was another 20 people. Or it could include the people that are assisting in development from Spike (though, I hope not... Spike sucks).

My only concern is that the combat is going to be TOO basic... its literally just pressing the A button. I mean, yea, the position of how you hold the controller changes his stance, but I hope they add a bit more than that....

But hell, as long as the storys deep, I'm sold.

Kicko

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
I can't wait for No More Heroes - the recent Edge article sent my hype meter through the roof.

I wasn't aware of an recent write-up in Edge. Details please!

Oh and um...You're avatar has got to go.:lol

BrandNew said:
What was Snatcher?

I asked this a while ago, and then I educated myself. It's basically pre-MGS2 craziness Kojima's adventure game take on Blade Runner with a half-assed ending that BEGS for a sequel.

"US, February 16, 2007 - You may not recognize the name Goichi Suda, but you probably know his handle: Suda 51. The moniker is a play on the Japanese words Goichi and Suda, which translate to the numbers 5 and 1 respectively"

No it doesn't. . .

In Japanese
5 is pronounced go
1 is pronounced ichi

the number 51 is pronounced go juu ichi

but Mr. Suda just uses the numbers individually for goichi (= numbers 5 and numbers 1 but not number 51).

I wonder if the interviewer initially called him Suda Fifty-one.

No More Heroes=Most anticipated 3rd party title for the Wii so far.

Like the interviews with this guy, wonder how his game will play out on the 360... Maybe its project S..

TreIII

dr3upmushroom said:
No More Heroes=Most anticipated 3rd party title for the Wii so far.

Ditto. If for some forsaken region, it doesn't come to America (or takes forever to do so), that will definitely be a reason to start importing for the Wii. Hopefully a Wii-loader will be ready by then. :D

As for Project S? Well, if the next title that Suda 51 is working on is supposed to be another Wii game...combined with how Kojima said that he wants to "work on the Wii...after MGS3"...I'mma thinking it's probably a Wii game.

But, we shall see. It'll be interesting to see what he could do on the 360, too.

Mockingbird said:
"US, February 16, 2007 - You may not recognize the name Goichi Suda, but you probably know his handle: Suda 51. The moniker is a play on the Japanese words Goichi and Suda, which translate to the numbers 5 and 1 respectively"

No it doesn't. . .

In Japanese
5 is pronounced go
1 is pronounced ichi

the number 51 is pronounced go juu ichi

but Mr. Suda just uses the numbers individually for goichi (= numbers 5 and numbers 1 but not number 51).

ign even lamer than usual

Brak

I hope that Suda's PS3 game based on Kafka's "The Castle" isn't totally dead....

from that interview, it doesn't sound promising :(

Lobster

Banned
dr3upmushroom said:
Like the interviews with this guy, wonder how his game will play out on the 360... Maybe its project S..

I would think Project S is a Wii game cause Kojima is making a Wii game after MGS4 and if Suda is rumoured to make Project S while working with Kojima..it just fits..

IGN Wii: What do you think of PS3 and Xbox 360?

Suda: I am very interested in Xbox 360. I want to develop games for Xbox 360 as soon as possible. In fact, I am planning the next project for Xbox 360.

Anyone have any idea what this project is?

TreIII said:
Ditto. If for some forsaken region, it doesn't come to America (or takes forever to do so), that will definitely be a reason to start importing for the Wii. Hopefully a Wii-loader will be ready by then. :D

I'm sure we'll get it soon. If we go by Killer 7's release dates, we should expect it within months of the Japanese release. And IIRC, Killer 7 did better over here (It bombed in both regions though).

I would think Project S is a Wii game cause Kojima is making a Wii game after MGS4 and if Suda is rumoured to make Project S while working with Kojima..it just fits..
Yea, just wanted to throw some speculation in there. But if it IS an adventure game, then the Wii is the spot... Or maybe they'll take the DQ route and make a DS game. GH has experience with both consoles, so who knows.

The Main Event said:
Gotta love Suda. :lol

Reminds me of the "Bloodstorm" vs "Mortal Kombat" era.
Still think Manhunt will be more violent. I'm guessing in NMH you'll just be doing slashes with a sword and what not... Manhunt has the potential of using the Wii mote for chocking people, slashing people, and so on.

Mashing

a Master Ninja said:
No idea, but I'd sure like to see what Suda 51 can do on the more powerful hardware.

Suda games tend to be more stylistically accomplished rather than technically accomplished. I'm sure if he made an X360 game or a PS3 game that it wouldn't take advantage of the power of those systems. I'm thrilled a creative developer is working on a creative system. That spells good news for us gamers.

Mashing said:
Suda games tend to be more stylistically accomplished rather than technically accomplished. I'm sure if he made an X360 game or a PS3 game that it wouldn't take advantage of the power of those systems. I'm thrilled a creative developer is working on a creative system. That spells good news for us gamers.

Speaking of which, is "Seeds" making a game for Wii?

TreIII

dr3upmushroom said:
Yea, just wanted to throw some speculation in there. But if it IS an adventure game, then the Wii is the spot... Or maybe they'll take the DQ route and make a DS game. GH has experience with both consoles, so who knows.

Well, while GH does indeed have experience on both consoles...it's because they have different teams doing that. I don't think too many members from the "Contact" team and the "Suda51" bunch mix and match that often.

Still, I'd like to see what Suda51 could do on the DS too, just out of principle.

Mashing said:

Agreed. I mean, you really do have to give the guy credit for at least be one of the few who are willing to go for creativity over graphical prowess alone. Well, that, and beating Lucasarts to the punch when it comes to making a cool looking "lightsaber game" for the Wii. :lol

...But on the subject of creativity...can you imagine what could happen if SEEDS (the Team Formerly Known as CLOVER) and Suda51/Grasshopper ever got together to work on a game? :D Both are relatively small forces working for creativity in the game industry...you'd think they'd be like birds of a feather on at least some instances.

...Plus, I think Suda51 could stand to benefit from hanging with the likes of Hideki Kamiya for a period of time.

a Master Ninja said:
Speaking of which, is "Seeds" making a game for Wii?

Who knows? The studio just officially declared itself a few days ago. I'm sure they'll come out the gate with what they plan to do soon enough.

a Master Ninja said:
Do many Japanese games get announced at GDC? I kind of assumed it was mostly Western developers in the spotlight.
True. I'm guessing the game won't be out until the fall of '08 or even '09... So e3 or TGS would be more of a likely place to announce something.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I'm still not convinced about the gameplay for this. Contact left a bad impression on me.

BorkBork said:
I'm still not convinced about the gameplay for this. Contact left a bad impression on me.
Well, if you digged Killer 7, then you should look forward to this. I'd say NMH is more Killer 7 than Contact.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Awesome. Killer7 is great, regardless of what you losers think of the combat, or the on-rails stuff. One of the best games that year! But I can't justify buying a wii at the current price for two suda games even if it is Snatcher. :\

I'll be the obligatory fan-boy hoping for a platform change until someone spills the beans.

edit:

I was thoroughly disappointed by contact. Tragic pathfinding, the professor, who is always on the top screen, had a loop of 20 seconds that he repeated over and over(which involved running into shit). The humor was not as good as I hoped(everyone was name-dropping earth bound way too often). Going to look for 'secret rooms' which are essential to progress was a ****ing pain.
I haven't completed it yet, I've only got three costumes, but I got hotel dusk now, so there is some priority going on here.

Jacobi

Banned
You forgot to mark this one

"Suda: I am very interested in Xbox 360. I want to develop games for Xbox 360 as soon as possible. In fact, I am planning the next project for Xbox 360. As for PS3, I don't have enough materials/topics to comment on this because there is only a small chance for us to develop for the console at this point in time."

Top Bottom