• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2016 | A sever-ly hot summer

Looks like Eisenhorn: Xenos is coming next week. Devs say the game will be $9.99 on iOS. It's going to be a simultaneous release with the Steam version
05.jpg

And just so you know, I'd make sure to go get some iTunes credit for this month. Just saying

Looks like Eisenhorn: Xenos is coming next week. Devs say the game will be $9.99 on iOS. It's going to be a simultaneous release with the Steam version

And just so you know, I'd make sure to go get some iTunes credit for this month. Just saying
Is this universal? If yes then I will probably get this along with Journey Down next week. Reigns I'm still a little on the fence about. It seems like a really neat concept at first glance but after watching some extended gameplay of it I feel it could get a little tedious after a few runs. Hoping impressions can prove me wrong though.

Gave up on Snakebird, haha. I appreciate that it is an insanely well made puzzle game, but it's just not one I'll be able to enjoyably get through.
From hearing about the game and what was to come, I had an idea of where I'd throw in the towel and I turned out to be correct: when I got to the level with two Snakebirds. D:

The closest game to this I've played may be Pushmo on the 3DS strangely enough. Snakebird obviously has an ridiculously steeper learning curve than it, but I got a very similar feeling of satisfaction out of it when I'd solve a level or learn a new way of doing things. But when you get a second Snakebird, it honestly felt like a mechanic that most developers would save for the second game (SnakebirdS?) which I definitely respect, even if I can't personally enjoy it.

Wonder how this will play on my Mini 2, I rarely play 3D games and I definitely haven't played any newer ones in a while.

Also curious how well this will play on the iPad, I was just watching the Giant Bomb Unfinished for the PC version (4 month old video, but I must have missed it) and the controls do seem simple enough for a mobile device, but I'm not 100% sure how it'll look on a 4:3 screen.

Gave up on Snakebird, haha. I appreciate that it is an insanely well made puzzle game, but it's just not one I'll be able to enjoyably get through.
From hearing about the game and what was to come, I had an idea of where I'd throw in the towel and I turned out to be correct: when I got to the level with two Snakebirds. D:
That soon? It just builds on the mechanics the game taught you previously, and needing to use the shape of one bird as ladders and lifts for the other(s)

I stopped playing it at the same point, but I do want to go back to it. On the contrary, I loved the Pushmo series on 3DS and sunk umpteen hours into them.

I don't think Snakebird is as good as Pushmo at introducing techniques needed to solve the puzzles. It should highlight them, as I seem to be missing them!

Annoying, as I can appreciate how great it is but the fun is just out of reach.

Pachimari

Sentinels of the Multiverse looks very interesting, but I have no knowledge about so don't know what or how much to expect. I love the comic book style, and it seems to be a card game which I really like.

ParityBit

Sentinels of the Multiverse looks very interesting, but I have no knowledge about so don't know what or how much to expect. I love the comic book style, and it seems to be a card game which I really like.

I just go the digital game, so I can not vouce for that, but I own the actual game (all expansions) and we (wife, friends) really love it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

you control 3-5 heroes against a villain in an environment

each of these has their own deck of cards, you draw & play and try to get the villains HP down to 0. i've only played a few games but i'm already sold on it.

bought the expansion packs season pass (also on sale right now - it's $3 + $17 now, next week it'll go to $10 + $25)

PittaGAF

So I discovered this unknown (to me at least) little gem yesterday.
So far I'm enjoying it a lot, and I basically didn't sleep yesterday night just to play it.

Quaser One di emre taskin
https://appsto.re/it/VX1Qdb.i

It's a scifi resource/disaster management with a very cool story so far.
The setting and the modules in the ship are pretty complex, with tons of things to check and prioritize.
You are the captain of the ship, set on course for a recon/save mission of a lost colony ship.....something went wrong along the way and the ship AI turned off your cryogenic chamber (just yours, the other 3 crew members are still sleeping, assuming you manage to keep them alive).
It's a pretty relaxing and slow experience till day 10, when things start to get frantic.
The game doesn't hold your hand....seems simple at first but you have to discover many things on your own (I kept dying on day 5 before realizing I needed to
improve power cells storage
to advance.

So far I'm enjoying it and I can't wait to go on with the story (I'm on day 17 right now).

Works pretty well on both iPhone and iPad, very light on memory too (it's not a demanding game).
Oh...it took me a bit to realize...the game is in realtime...so if power is going down...act FAST.
Every system, for repair, to upgrading to maintenance to shutdown to restart takes TIME.
So there are occasions when you are waiting a real life minute for the core reactor to restart, meanwhile praying oxygen won't leak too fast from that damn hull damage you can't repair without extra power....
I still have to understand what some icons mean, but I'm enjoying the game a lot nonetheless.

Back in the command center, I have an oxygen leak to fix.

Mobius Final Fantasy is the first game to make my 6s get warm. The game's not too bad though, it's pretty fun even if the UI is complicated and it's overcomplicated in that modern Final Fantasy way. Looks decent once I cranked up the graphics settings. If I get tired of it, I will probably return to Brave Exvius.

I have such a wealth of mobile games right now it's insane. Polytopia could eat me alive if I let it. Pokemon Go already defined a whole week of my life. Still have Lara Croft Go and Hitman Go to play, Warbits to finish, etc.

Pachimari

Just finished the tutorial of Sentinels of the Multiverse. And it seems pretty great. The core gameplay is fine. But the interface, although stylish and beautiful, is overwhelming and cluttered. It takes time getting used to. Is this based on a license, like a cartoon show or something?

Just finished the tutorial of Sentinels of the Multiverse. And it seems pretty great. The core gameplay is fine. But the interface, although stylish and beautiful, is overwhelming and cluttered. It takes time getting used to. Is this based on a license, like a cartoon show or something?
No, all original characters

That soon? It just builds on the mechanics the game taught you previously, and needing to use the shape of one bird as ladders and lifts for the other(s)
Yup, my brain could barely comprehend the single Snake bird levels of the game. Most of those I just brute forced by trying nearly every single possible movement choice available.

TWO Snakebirds (or God forbid more than that which I imagine there will be) introduces so many more movement possibilities. It's like the first few levels were just 3x3 sliding block "reveal the image" puzzles, whereas having to control two different Snakebirds is now like solving a Rubiks cube.

Yup, my brain could barely comprehend the single Snake bird levels of the game. Most of those I just brute forced by trying nearly every single possible movement choice available.

TWO Snakebirds (or God forbid more than that which I imagine there will be) introduces so many more movement possibilities. It's like the first few levels were just 3x3 sliding block "reveal the image" puzzles, whereas having to control two different Snakebirds is now like solving a Rubiks cube.
Good thing you never made it to the portals and moving blocks levels. Your brain would melt

Good sale in Plants vs. Zombies 2 going on right now.

They've got the premium upgrades on sale for $0.99 each including starting with 25 extra sun, 25% extra sun back when shoveling, +1 plant food slot, and +1 bonus seed slot. I think they would go for like $3-5 normally.

The extra seed slot was the one premium upgrade I was really tempted to get the whole way through the game, but I held off until I beat it. Now I'm glad I can get it for cheap! Might get the 25 extra sun one too, since that will help on some of the levels that throw zombies at you really quickly.

Jarsonot

Just got the Horipad Ultimate controller, may be a game changer. Haven't had too much time with it, did a quick trial run in Wayward Souls. Works great, feels great, and though it definitely cuts down on the portability, I could see myself using my phone and controller (when home) more than my Wii U gamepad.

Looking forward to going through my library and seeing what a difference the controller will make. SO much better than touch controls even in the brief time I've had so far.

PittaGAF

So I just completed Quaser One.
I *think* I completed it because I got a congratulation screen but not really a story real conclusion...which was a bit of let down especially because the story bits up till the end were pretty good.
The game is nice, you juggle between the various modules to advance the story, even if the first part is the most difficult and the most interesting....once you understand how everything works, it's pretty automatic.
But overall I enjoyed the experience and if anything I wish Tharsis was ported to iOS even more.

I have a soft spot for you being alone in a damaged ship anyway.

I *think* I completed it because I got a congratulation screen but not really a story real conclusion...which was a bit of let down especially because the story bits up till the end were pretty good.
The game is nice, you juggle between the various modules to advance the story, even if the first part is the most difficult and the most interesting....once you understand how everything works, it's pretty automatic.
But overall I enjoyed the experience and if anything I wish Tharsis was ported to iOS even more.

Dev classifies the game as a roguelike, so it might be something to replay again, so if there are any changes?

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Have 3 flights coming up next week..

Definitely picking up Severed. How is Titan Quest on an iPhone 6 Plus? Need something else in the $3-10 range.

sheaaaa

Someone sell me on Sentinels. Worth playing if I'm 100% single player? I've always wanted something like Hearthstone with a bit less deck building and more focused single player content.

jon bones

Someone sell me on Sentinels. Worth playing if I'm 100% single player? I've always wanted something like Hearthstone with a bit less deck building and more focused single player content.

I think it is all SP, and I am in the same boat which is why I love it.

Each character has a pre built deck already, there's no deck building you just play vs CPU.

There's no campaign but there are a lot of cool achievements to unlock bonus "variants" of the heroes.

sheaaaa

I think it is all SP, and I am in the same boat which is why I love it.

Each character has a pre built deck already, there's no deck building you just play vs CPU.

There's no campaign but there are a lot of cool achievements to unlock bonus "variants" of the heroes.

Sounds good! What's the DLC for? Seems a lot of it.

jon bones

Sounds good! What's the DLC for? Seems a lot of it.

There are 2 "season passes" available for the game.

S1 is out now, and on sale for $17 (regular price is $25) - it's got a bunch of new heroes, villains & environments.

S2 is being developed and will start releasing eventually. It just got kickstarted and they raised a ton of money to get it done. This will have a shit ton of new content, including new modes of play.

The game is currently on sale now ($3) and will be going to full price at some point. ($10)

I bought both S1 & the game and it's been worth it.

Have you played Verreciel? I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.

Pachimari

Have you played Verreciel? I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.
I second this. Would be nice to hear your impressions of Verreciel.

pronk420

Sentinels seems cool in theory but its one of those games that I just can't stand the art style of. It looks like someone took a manga drawing class and then tried to draw western super heroes in MS Paint.

Don't think I saw it posted here but one of my favoruite stories of all time in gaming is coming to iOS early next year. To The Moon :D

PittaGAF

Sentinels seems cool in theory but its one of those games that I just can't stand the art style of. It looks like someone took a manga drawing class and then tried to draw western super heroes in MS Paint.

To be honest I hate superheroes in general and the look didn't attract me either, but I must confess the game, at least the free version, is really damn fun.
I really like the idea of pre made decks.
So much I'm considering buying the game.

Do we know if multiplayer is async?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Have 3 flights coming up next week..

Definitely picking up Severed. How is Titan Quest on an iPhone 6 Plus? Need something else in the $3-10 range.

I play TQ on my 6s+ and love it. Definitely worth it if you like TQ on PC.

Also, I just can't get into Sentinels. I've tried the Steam version, now the iOS version, and have flipped through the cards for the physical version. It's just not for me. SO much to juggle. It's almost too much to juggle at times and I find it more tedious than fun.

Damn, looks like we'll have to wait 2-3 months for Death Road

Likely because the devs want to include the new content and updates done for PC in the iOS version

Top Bottom