• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iranian Refuses to Judo with Israeli...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doth Togo

http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/145144|top|08-15-2004::10:28|reuters.html

Aug 15, 10:22 AM (ET)

By Douglas Hamilton
ATHENS (Reuters) - Iran's world judo champion Arash Miresmaeili refused to compete against an Israeli Sunday, triggering a fresh crisis at the Olympic Games where race, creed or color are not allowed to interfere with sport.

The International Judo Federation (IJF) failed to agree how to deal with the politically explosive issue at an emergency meeting and said it would hold further talks Monday.

The burning issue was whether any penalty would hit Miresmaeili alone or the entire Iranian team.

"There has been no decision and we are considering this situation very carefully," said IJF spokesman Michel Brousse.

"This has not been brought to us as an issue and until it is, we would not have any comment," said a spokeswoman for the International Olympic Committee (IOC), which pledges to uphold the ideal of sport transcending national barriers.

The official reason for Miresmaeili's non-appearance was failure to make the weight but judo chiefs were questioning how such a seasoned athlete, who carried Iran's flag at Friday's opening ceremony, would have made such a basic error.

REAL REASON

A statement by the Iranian National Olympic Committee in Tehran suggested the real reason had nothing to do with kilos.

"This is a general policy of our country to refrain from competing against athletes of the Zionist regime and Arash Miresmaeili has observed this policy," it said.

Iran has refused to recognize Israel's right to exist since Islamic fundamentalists toppled the Shah in 1979.

Right after the draw was made last Thursday there were reports that Miresmaeili, 66 kg world champion in 2001 and 2003, might pull out because his opponent was an Israeli, Ehud Vaks.

The Games were rocked last Thursday when Greece's top two athletes, Olympic 200 meters champion Costas Kenteris and 100 meters silver medallist Katerina Thanou, missed a dope test.

They were dropped from the host nation's team Saturday pending an IOC disciplinary hearing Monday.

On the second day of full competition at the Olympics, Athens was blasted by a hot, hair-dryer wind that threatened to spook the horses at the equestrian events and may have blown some arrows off course at the archery.

The rowing regatta had to be stopped, prompting some told-you-so comments from critics who said it was in the wrong place to begin with.

GUSTING WINDS

But the gusting winds could not stop Russia's Alexei Alipov winning gold in the men's trap shooting with a near-flawless performance on a range carved into a mountain top.

The 29-year-old from Moscow scored 149 out of a possible 150, including a perfect 25 in the final round.

"The weather conditions were having a great effect on everyone," said Alipov. "We managed to find conditions similar to this in Cyprus and trained there for quite some time before the Olympics. That helped."

Swimming again grabbed most attention as Australia's Ian Thorpe won round one of a duel with American Michael Phelps, qualifying fastest for the 200 meters freestyle.

Thorpe showed no signs of fatigue from his titanic struggle with Grant Hackett in Saturday's 400 freestyle final victory as he cruised through his heat in one minute 47.22 seconds.

The archery contest returned the Olympics to their birthplace in Athens's Panathinaiko Stadium, 108 years after the first Games were held at the classical marble amphitheater.

This is the setting for the finish line in the marathon on the closing day, when the Games can expect to see scenes of jubilation much like in 1896, when 100,000 Greeks greeted their marathon-winning hero Spiridon Louis.

DISAPPOINTING ATTENDANCE

Attendance at the first Summer Olympics since the September 11 attacks on the United States three years ago has disappointed in the first two days, but organizers hope it will soon pick up.

Athens has spent 1 billion euros ($1.23 billion) on security, four times more than Sydney in 2000, and security personnel outnumber athletes seven to one.

So organizers were swift to play down a British newspaper's charge that security at the Games was a "terrorist's dream."

Sunday Mirror tabloid reporter Bob Graham said a job as a driver allowed him to wander round the main stadium close to world leaders during Friday's opening ceremony.

Organizers said the undetected packages he planted round the stadium did not reveal any security flaws.

Contrary to his story, a background check was conducted on Graham before he got the job and the "suspicious packages" were not detected precisely because they were harmless, the organizers said.

- - - - -

John Titor.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
They might get thrown out, or barred from future games until they are willing to play anyone they're drawn against.

I know some country (don't remember which) were barred from the Olympics last time because they wouldn't let their women compete.

Mama Smurf said:
They might get thrown out, or barred from future games until they are willing to play anyone they're drawn against.

I know some country (don't remember which) were barred from the Olympics last time because they wouldn't let their women compete.

It was Afghanistan that was barred for not letting women compete.

effzee

while im not a fan of israel and thier politics this is just beyond dumb. way to make a stance dumbass. i hope iran does get banned.

Shompola

Banned
I believe this is the second time Iran does this. Not sure when or what tournament they did it last time though. Anyway it's retarded beyond anything.

Phoenix

Yeah, this is dumb beyond reason. Just compete and beat them as a statement - don't refuse to compete - that's just lame.

Malakhov

Banned
They should ban the entire Iranian team.

Very nice olympics we're having so far, an olympic full of drugs and racism, yay!

Shompola

Banned
The ones encouraging this act of cowardness and in the end making these decisions don't really give a shit about the olympics or sports for that matter in the first place. I mean wasn't it khommeini who wanted to ban chess among other things?

Banning the entire Iranian team would be a good start. But unfortunately it won't really hurt Iran the slightest unless the people of Iran actually wake up and demand some changes. But that won't happen, they're used to be used as sheeps and they will remain like that for a very long time.

Phoenix

Shompola said:
The ones encouraging this act of cowardice and in the end making these decisions don't really give a shit about the olympics or sports for that matter in the first place. I mean wasn't it khommeini who wanted to ban chess among other things?

Banning the entire Iranian team would be a good start. But unfortunately it won't really hurt Iran the slightest unless the people of Iran actually wake up and demand some changes. But that won't happen, they're used to be used as sheeps and they will remain like that for a very long time.

Not to be a English weenie, but that one needed to be fixed.

impirius

Phoenix said:
Yeah, this is dumb beyond reason. Just compete and beat them as a statement - don't refuse to compete - that's just lame.
But don't you see, not competing is a much stronger statement than beating your opponent because... uh.. yeah.

Maybe the guy's afraid of the reaction back home if he gets beat by an Israeli.

Willco

Hollywood Square
As someone who participated in Judo for quite some time (albeit eons ago, and must is forgotten due to memory loss *damn you alcohol!*), this guy shouldn't play the sport and has completely lost its meaning.

ghostface

Some of you are very quick in blaming the athelete himself, when the decision was most likely not his. Chances are that the man, as a high-caliber international athlete, doesn't give a shit about politics and just wants to win a medal.

I really hope they do ban my countrie's entire Olympic team. Any action, no matter how small, that can fuel protest and uprising against the gov. in Iran is fine by me. The student movements from the last couple of years seems to have died down considreably.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
ghostface said:
Some of you are very quick in blaming the athelete himself, when the decision was most likely not his. Chances are that the man, as a high-caliber international athlete, doesn't give a shit about politics and just wants to win a medal.

absolutely.. i find it strange that a world champion athlete, who has undergone years of hard training just for this moment would drop out for such a trivial reason.. it makes more sense that he was forced to do this.

impirius

ghostface said:
Honestly, I hadn't even looked at it that way. If that is the case, it's a shame that the guy doesn't get to compete.

FightyF

Banned
Good point Ghostface, and that only goes to show that banning the whole team would be a better solution.

Secondly, the probably view the Israelis as we do the Nazis. And let me tell you, if I had a chance to kick the ass of a Nazi, I'd go for it!

I don't see how banning the whole team is the solution. It's probably not the athletes that are doing this (who after many years of training probably just want to compete) so why should they be punished? It's nice to say that the Olympics aren't about politics, but if you were an Iranian athlete would you want to go against the powers that be, when they could probably make your life, and the life of your family very difficult should you try to make a stand.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
wouldn't beating the snot out of a "Zionist Hell spawn" be considered quite the victory for God/jesus/allah/Santa Claus?

Firest0rm

CrimsonSkies said:
It must really suck to let religion rule your life to this degree.

It has little to do with Religion and more to do with the pathetic governments that rule. Just so you know there is not a single Islamic country that really can be consiedered Islamic. Because their all dictators using Islam as a cover for their own agenda. Half the shit they make up doesn't come from the religion, they just use fear to control the people. Creating stricter rules so they can control every single part of your life.

ghostface

Die Squirrel Die said:
I don't see how banning the whole team is the solution. It's probably not the athletes that are doing this (who after many years of training probably just want to compete) so why should they be punished? It's nice to say that the Olympics aren't about politics, but if you were an Iranian athlete would you want to go against the powers that be, when they could probably make your life, and the life of your family very difficult should you try to make a stand.
What I meant was if the entire Iranian delegation was banned by the IOC because of some stupid racist policy of the Iranian government, then that in itself could be part of a popular protest against the Iranian regime. Like I said, it might not be much, but removing all chances of receiving sporting recognition in the most important sporting event in the world will add to aggravate more Iranians and turn them further against their leaders, which is a good thing.

It would suck for the atheletes though.

Shinobi

lol.gif
Yep, I did the same thing...so sad.

Alcibiades

Is Job a recent wrestler (last 1-2 years), I think I might have missed whoever that is, but I don't watch wrestling anyways...

Ripclawe

Banned
bishoptl said:
Did anyone else read this as "Iranian Refuses to do the Job to Israeli"?

I watch too much wrestling.

I was going to post the pics from the new wrestler the WWE just signed doing his finishing move, but I thought against it.

you know the Iron Sheik would have never backed down!

The Iranians are just being pussies......they made this rule to completely rule out the possibility of their athletes being beaten by an Israeli. Which would probably be grounds for beheading in their ass backwards country.

Shompola

Banned
happyfunball said:
The Iranians are just being pussies......they made this rule to completely rule out the possibility of their athletes being beaten by an Israeli. Which would probably be grounds for beheading in their ass backwards country.

You really think the rulers of Iran really give a shit about sports? For them sports is something primitive and backwards.

megateto

Doth Togo Attendance at the first Summer Olympics since the September 11 attacks on the United States three years ago has disappointed in the first two days said:
I don't get very well why he has to mention S-11 attacks. So terrorism began that day? Fine.

ghostface

happyfunball said:
The Iranians are just being pussies......they made this rule to completely rule out the possibility of their athletes being beaten by an Israeli.
Umm, no. The rule is that no Iranian is allowed to have contacts with an Israeli, or something along that line. Its not limited to sporting events.

Boogie

Has anybody caught any Judo being aired yet? My TV Guide said NBC had Judo coverage last night from 12:30-2:00 a.m. I taped it, but there was no Judo at all. Anybody know when there is Judo coverage by CBC or NBC?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
no television olympic guide I have seen has listed Judo at all... a shame, I figured since they were touting this as the most coverage ever we'd see some stuff from every event.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
There was Judo on Bravo at midnight on Saturday. They only showed the finals for the men and women's lowest weight classes.

Fjord

Shompola said:
You really think the rulers of Iran really give a shit about sports? For them sports is something primitive and backwards.

Except I think they like wrestling a fair bit. If you catch my drift.

Fusebox

Banned
I'd knock their heads together in an attempt to drill some sense into them but the towels would cushion the blow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom