• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rio Olympics : Egyptian Judoka Refuses to Shake Hands With Israeli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clipjoint

The fact you extend the actions of a government to it's citizens is just crazy, especially athletes. Fucking anti-semitism in the flesh right here.

It has nothing to do with his religion. Smears of anti-Semitism is just a cowardly way to stifle any criticism against Israel. I have many Jewish friends who I love dearly. There isn't an ounce of anti-Semitism in me. I just support any refusals to normalize with the state of Israel while the Palestinians do not enjoy civil rights.

Clipjoint

Yeah? Well good luck bringing any sort of legitimacy to your boycott divestment and sanctions actions by being racist anti semites who treat fellow humans like lepers who can't be touched. Ban any countries like this from the Olympics I say. No wonder Israel plays in UEFA for soccer.

Lepers who can't be touched? Didn't they just complete a Judo match? Maybe I haven't seen Judo in a while, but it's always looked like a hugging contest to me.

Tubobutts

It has nothing to do with his religion. Smears of anti-Semitism is just a cowardly way to stifle any criticism against Israel. I have many Jewish friends who I love dearly. There isn't an ounce of anti-Semitism in me. I just support any refusals to normalize with the state of Israel while the Palestinians do not enjoy civil rights.
Well as long as some of your best friends are Jews.

Madness

'I have tons of jewish friends who love me dearly'... But god forbid if I am asked to shake their hand if they represent Israel. Criticism of Israel is not anti semitism. Thinking somehow that a poor Israeli athlete cannot be touched because of some fucked up pan arab/muslim nationalism and solidarity is sheer anti semitism.

Yado

Eh, can't fault him for sticking to his personal beliefs. Some things are more important than satisfying strangers on the internet.

kamspy

Look at how much land was taken from Mongolia.

Do you support the Turkish occupation of Constantinople?

Clipjoint

Look at how much land was taken from Mongolia.

Do you support the Turkish occupation of Constantinople?

Apples and oranges. The victims of Israeli occupation are still around today living without rights nor status in subhuman conditions. If there were Greeks in Istanbul who had no citizenship, no rights, and no path to freedom then I'd be all for a boycott of Turkey as well.

Clipjoint

'I have tons of jewish friends who love me dearly'... But god forbid if I am asked to shake their hand if they represent Israel. Criticism of Israel is not anti semitism. Thinking somehow that a poor Israeli athlete cannot be touched because of some fucked up pan arab/muslim nationalism and solidarity is sheer anti semitism.

It has nothing to do with touch. It has to do with normalization. Frankly, he never should have participated in the match in the first place. That's what he should have been criticized for.

If they met on the street? Sure, shake his hand and have a beer with him. No problem. But once he puts on that uniform with the flag on it, he's no longer just representing himself.

Madness

Apples and oranges. The victims of Israeli occupation are still around today living without rights nor status in subhuman conditions. If there were Greeks in Istanbul who had no citizenship, no rights, and no path to freedom then I'd be all for a boycott of Turkey as well.

Well Turkey pretty much ethnically cleansed them as well as the Armenians and even invaded Cyprus and drove out Cypriots from their own land, but hey, as an Egyptian, not shaking hands with an Israeli is all that matters. The sad thing is, you don't see how ridiculous, racist, anti semitic and childish this makes you and supporters of this look.

Eh, can't fault him for sticking to his personal beliefs. Some things are more important than satisfying strangers on the internet.

Then he shouldn't even compete in the Olympics.

Just hating another religion goes against the Prophet teachings.

Surah 5:51 said:
Verily, those who disbelieve (in the religion of Islam, the Quran and Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) from among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) and Al-Mushrikun will abide in the Fire of Hell. They are the worst of creatures.

Surah 48:29 said:
Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah ; and those with him are forceful against the disbelievers, merciful among themselves.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I would love to know where Mohammed had anything constructive to say about other religions.

Clipjoint

Well Turkey pretty much ethnically cleansed them as well as the Armenians and even invaded Cyprus and drove out Cypriots from their own land, but hey, as an Egyptian, not shaking hands with an Israeli is all that matters. The sad thing is, you don't see how ridiculous, racist, anti semitic and childish this makes you and supporters of this look.

If a Greek, Armenian, or Cypriot refused to shake hands with a Turk at the Olympics, I'd completely understand. I wouldn't have a problem with that at all.

Audioboxer

It has nothing to do with touch. It has to do with normalization. Frankly, he never should have participated in the match in the first place. That's what he should have been criticized for.

If they met on the street? Sure, shake his hand and have a beer with him. No problem. But once he puts on that uniform with the flag on it, he's no longer just representing himself.

Well you know maybe he thought he could beat the big bad Jew and be a national hero, so of course he should have participated... I mean, how could he lose to a Jew? Right?

Oh the shame. Oh the badge and honour on the uniform. Must not accept a handshake, remain proud, think of the badge.

Jeez.

phanphare

Banned
everyone's got their own beliefs, and that's understandable, but just stay home next time

why even compete if that's how you're going to behave?

Clipjoint

Honestly I wish all the people expressing this much outrage over a handshake would be as vocal when Israel imprisons and murders innocent men, women, and children just for being Palestinian. Or when they build an Apartheid wall to imprison the people of Palestine.

I wonder how many potential Olympians we've missed out on because of the occupation? We'll never know.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Disgraceful. Don't show up if you're going to behave like that.

Honestly I wish all the people expressing this much outrage over a handshake would be as vocal when Israel imprisons and murders innocent men, women, and children just for being Palestinian. Or when they build an Apartheid wall to imprison the people of Palestine.

I wonder how many potential Olympians we've missed out on because of the occupation? We'll never know.

Going for the guilt trip defense I see.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

So true. No one has ever shown any outrage at Israel, ever. Especially not on Internet message boards.

Audioboxer

Honestly I don't even know why they hold the Olympics. Life should stop and just wallow in the worlds wrongs because its certainly impossible for individual people to be good and events to be created to try and celebrate diversity and bring good people together, regardless of where they are from. No, we can't have that, just despair.

Kinyou

If the South and North Korea competitors shook hands then everyone else could do it too.
Even went further with the Gymnasts taking a selfie together.

g3F0A93.jpg

The Olympics are a great opportunity to realize that those barriers between countries don't have to be barriers between people.

Madness

Honestly I don't even know why they hold the Olympics. Life should stop and just wallow in the worlds wrongs because its certainly impossible for individual people to be good and events to be created to try and celebrate diversity and bring good people together, regardless of where they are from. No, we can't have that, just despair.

After the 1980 and 1984 games, that is why the Goodwill Games were created. So we can unite through the power of sport. For a few weeks every 4 years humanity comes together. But shit like this is embarassing. Whatever. Was reading up on this further. Seems a Saudi female athlete forfeited a match so she later wouldn't have to match up against an Israeli. A handshake against a fellow athlete is too much.

Audioboxer

After the 1980 and 1984 games, that is why the Goodwill Games were created. So we can unite through the power of sport. For a few weeks every 4 years humanity comes together. But shit like this is embarassing. Whatever. Was reading up on this further. Seems a Saudi female athlete forfeited a match so she later wouldn't have to match up against an Israeli. A handshake against a fellow athlete is too much.

Now she done us proud. As clipjoint pointed out above the real criticism here is why this athelete didn't forfeit and refuse to fight the Jew. She can kiss her badge on her uniform proudly before going to sleep as she done the right thing. What a hero.

/s

TheFlow

Banned
Saw this on reddit. If the guy is going out of his way to shake your hand, then suck up your pride and be a good sportsman. He could have used the opportunity to be a role model to the idiots on twitter and his country.
So you want the man to risk his life and his family life just so people in other countries can feel secure? Nahh son not like that.

Sucks but judo is a sport.

Audioboxer

So you want the man to risk his life and his family life just so people in other countries can feel secure? Nahh son not like that.

Why go to the Olympics at all then? There might be Israeli's and Jews in every event!!! Seems like Egypt should just forfeit all involvement so the athletes can be kept safe #thinkoftheathletessafety

This is getting ridiculous. I wouldn't have expected to see such bigotry attempted to be veiled discretely on GAF.

The loser in this event deserves the criticism he is getting and acts of bigotry however "minor" in the Olympics deserve to be met with sanctions and/or bans. Like they are in other sports.

Madness

Stay home from the Olympics then. It's clear you don't understand what the spirit of the games beyond all the corporate branding, sponsorships, performance enhancing drugs is. To unite through the power of sport. To bring humanity together.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Hahahahahahaha

k. I'm sure you have a well thought out argument showing the massive difference between groups of Europeans who converted to one of the Abrahamic religions and then decided to take over pats of the Levant for their own sense of religious and economic benefit.

Oh wait, no you don't.

TheFlow

Banned
Why go to the Olympics at all then? There might be Israeli's and Jews in every event!!! Seems like Egypt should just forfeit all involvement so the athletes can be kept safe #thinkoftheathletessafety

This is getting ridiculous. I wouldn't have expected to see such bigotry attempted to be veiled discretely on GAF.

The loser in this event deserves the criticism he is getting and acts of bigotry however "minor" in the Olympics deserve to be met with sanctions and/or bans. Like they are in other sports.
So what? Literally another case of entitled strangerson the net. the man probably has a shit ton of death threats just for losing.

Edit: the man didn't have to shake his hand since it is not required in the rules. Gave him the bow and deuce

Madness

So what? Literally another case of entitled strangerson the net. the man probably has a shit ton of death threats just for losing.

If Pakistanis and Indians can shake hands, North Koreans and South Koreans can take selfies, I am pretty sure an Egyptian can shake hands with an Israeli. Egypt probably has the best relations with Israel in the middle east. Wtf is this. Just because some racist and radical fucks back home didn't want him to shake his hand, that means it is okay?

the man didn't have to shake his hand since it is not required in the rules. Gave him the bow and deuce

Gave him the bow after being loudly booed and forced by the ref back to the mat to bow otherwise he didn't bow either.

TheFlow

Banned
If Pakistanis and Indians can shake hands, North Koreans and South Koreans can take selfies, I am pretty sure an Egyptian can shake hands with an Israeli. Egypt probably has the best relations with Israel in the middle east. Wtf is this. Just because some racist and radical fucks back home didn't want him to shake his hand, that means it is okay?
Well right now it is under review but it doesn't look like a breach of rules. So yea apparently it is ok.

Tubobutts

k. I'm sure you have a well thought out argument showing the massive difference between groups of Europeans who converted to one of the Abrahamic religions and then decided to take over the Levant for their own sense of religious and economic benefit.
Because genetic testing disagrees with your assertion that the majority of Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jews are European converts. Are you going to start telling me about the Khazars next?

LosDaddie

Banned
I'm happy he lost, and that he goes home a bitter loser.

The better man won.

This is The Olympics. You show respect for your fellow competitors, and honor the traditions.

Madness

He should probably be banned from judo competitions on an international level tbh

Any olympic committees that condone this should be banned as well. Reading up on it, it seems Lebanese athletes didn't even want to share a bus, Saudi organizers forced a female athlete to forfeit so she wouldn't be matched against an Israeli. Just shameful.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Because genetic testing disagrees with your assertion that the majority of Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jews are European converts. Are you going to start telling me about the Khazars next?

Hmm, been a while since I looked into it. It's problematic when articles on subjects like this are incorrect. Ah well, its good that more definitive research has been done to clear up any previous misconceptions. Interestingly the other outcome from that research time frame, that Jews have a shared ancestry with Palestinians and others in the area, seems to be correct.

Dishonorable but probably smart given where he lives.

Yup. I'm not necessarily going to shit on him for this - he'll get enough grief for losing when he gets back home. It's absolutely terrible that these politics have to be carried into the Olympics :(

Stay home from the Olympics then. It's clear you don't understand what the spirit of the games beyond all the corporate branding, sponsorships, performance enhancing drugs is. To unite through the power of sport. To bring humanity together.

He loses either way. It's definitely the nature of his country, and not just him as a person. Some athletes won't even face each other because of the politics back in their home countries.

AAK

I feel he shouldn't have projected Israel's barbaric apartheid regime onto that athlete. For all we know he could have been one of the righteous Israelis against the human rights abuse of Palestinians.

deadlast

Saw this earlier. Of course the ultra conservatives are taking the disrespect to the next level.

As judoka, this dude should be stripped of his rank and his dojo should be put on notice.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You can be quick to say the guy is an idiot, he might very well be if he hates the guy for being Israeli, but it might also just be him believing that if he does shake hand with him he'll never hear the end of it back home. For all we know he would have liked to shake his hand, we don't know.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You can be quick to say the guy is an idiot, he might very well be if he hates the guy for being Israeli, but it might also just be him believing that if he does shake hand with him he'll never hear the end of it back home.
Then he shouldn't compete at an international event where he risks running into those evil Israeli athletes.

Enough with the bullshit excuses for this anti-semitic asshole.

Madness

Then he shouldn't compete at an international event where he risks running into those evil Israeli athletes.

Enough with the bullshit excuses for this anti-semitic asshole.

Can you imagine if a Russian athlete refused to shake the hands of an openly gay athlete. People here would be wanting to start world war 3.

If Indians and Pakistanis can shake hands. North Koreans can take selfies with South Koreans and even Americans, pretty sure an Egyptian can shake hands with an Israeli. Egypt isn't Iran. They have perhaps the best relationship with Israel in the middle east. Just crazy how people are straight up making 'tales from their ass' about how maybe the guys ancestors were killed by Israelis or how his life is supposedly in danger at home, etc.

Olympics have had nasty stuff happen between tense countries (example I can best think of 1956 Hungary and USSR water polo match), but that doesn't mean it's something that should be normalized or ok

If dude would've actually been in trouble at home, than I can't blame him as much, but it's hard to imagine that he couldn't have done the mandatory bow and just said it's mandatory. Maybe that still would have been too much, but in that case, don't show up to the Olympics

manakel

Even went further with the Gymnasts taking a selfie together.

The Olympics are a great opportunity to realize that those barriers between countries don't have to be barriers between people.
Exactly! Seeing pictures like this makes me really happy. What that man did was absolutely disgraceful. He should be barred from participating in the Olympics again if he's going to be that unsportsmanlike.

trembli0s

Could have been a hero and a symbol of powerful respect to the nut jobs in his own part of the world.

Too bad he chose to look like a little child instead.

Get rekt and take that karma, scrub.

Pretty ironic that the large governments in the ME, KSA, Egypt, etc. are all more closely entangled with the Israeli state than ever before. You never hear shit about that.

Maximo

Should be a automatic fail if you refuse to do something as simple as shaking your opponents hand, glad he was beaten and deserved the lost.

Jag

Can you imagine if a Russian athlete refused to shake the hands of an openly gay athlete. People here would be wanting to start world war 3.

If Indians and Pakistanis can shake hands. North Koreans can take selfies with South Koreans and even Americans, pretty sure an Egyptian can shake hands with an Israeli. Egypt isn't Iran. They have perhaps the best relationship with Israel in the middle east. Just crazy how people are straight up making 'tales from their ass' about how maybe the guys ancestors were killed by Israelis or how his life is supposedly in danger at home, etc.

Absolutely. He did it to snub the guy and look like a hero. He came out looking like a loser and an ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom