• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iron Galaxy and KI are back

theres-a-name-ive-not-heard-in-many-years.gif

Xenon

Rehire all the double helix guys from the grave and put them back in charge.

Such a shame, MS should have locked the studio down. But that was back when Phil thought outsourcing companies to work on their IPs was a good idea. Iron Galaxy did a good job stepping in.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Such a shame, MS should have locked the studio down. But that was back when Phil thought outsourcing companies to work on their IPs was a good idea. Iron Galaxy did a good job stepping in.
When Amazon bought Double Helix, Phil was not the head of Xbox yet. Heck until 2017 , Xbox was still a subdivision of the Windows and Devices Group.
He's in charge of Windows, Windows Phone, and Xbox. Can he make it all work?

By Adrianne Jeffries - Jul 12, 2013, 10:30am EDT
Only in 2017, Gaming became its own division and Phil Spencer reported directly to Satya Nadella.
It was only after this did they start expanding and acquiring new studios.

Hudo

I would drown in my own baby batter if Mick Gordon does the soundtrack again.
It seemed that Microsoft and Mick Gordon parted on good terms when work on KI was finished. So there might be a good chance that he'll do the soundtrack for the next one again. Mick only had beef with id Software and how they treated him, afaik.

cireza

That's cool. I did buy & play the game on Xbox One back then, but never had a 6 buttons controller and gave up. Will download the update.

Any recommendations of a quality 6 buttons controller for Series (which means with a great d-pad ~ Sega Saturn) ?

They should make a sequel.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
He was head of publishing which still makes it his decision.
Head of publishing does not mean he gets to decide studio acquisitions. There's a reason these acquisitions happened after 2017. These have to be approved directly by some top management at Microsoft. The same reason they lost Bioware to EA and Bizzare Creations to Activision. Let's not forget Nakayama appealed for Microsoft to buy Sega, but Bill Gates blocked the deal.

IronLich

Rumbleverse gave its life to give KI another chance at life.

This also gives hope to a sequel, and it's clear Iron Galaxy loves working on the new KI. Microsoft just needs to cash out.

To think back to the rumors that Bandai Namco were helping develop a KI sequel... insanity.

Last edited:
To think back to the rumors that Bandai Namco were helping develop a KI sequel... insanity.
We cannot say that Microsoft did not explore the possibility of partnering with Bamco or ASW. They have free teams (Bamco's SC team and it is unknown on what ASW is working on now).

One of the reasons - I think - why IG is back is because their Rumbleverse flopped.

splattered

They never added fatalities did they? Fighting games were my favorite genre when I was a kid but I never cared for this series. No denying the new game was good, I just never gave it much of a chance.

Ozriel

M$FT
Or they could fund a sequel instead of letting it fade away. That's how you treat your customers.

You don't have customers for a product that doesn't exist, though.

That said, they dropped enough hints that it seems clear that a sequel is in the works.

If there's a revival of players, I wonder if they will give IG the budget to finish giving all the players Ultimates and also create new characters/stages.
The game is still one of the best playing fighting games ever. Definitely in my Top 3 of all time.

Also, fix Kim Wu's face while you are at it.

Top Bottom