• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irrational Interviews Episode 4 - Cliff "Jazz Jackrabbit" Bleszinski

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Irrational Interviews Episode 4 - Cliff Bleszinski

Not many game developers can be considered celebrities, but Cliff Bleszinski (Jazz Jackrabbit, other) fits the bill. One of the industry’s best-known names, he travels in star-studded circles and serves as a de facto representative for games among a wider audience. Meanwhile, he holds down a day job as design director at Epic Games, where he’s in the middle of development on Gears of War 3.

Cliff joins Irrational’s own creative director Ken Levine as well as Chris Remo to discuss that unique role as well as how the mainstream perceives game makers. And along with that consideration of game industry celebrity, there is talk of the realities of how games are made: the collaborative team-based development process.​

• Produced by James Bonney & Chris Remo, with editing by Tim Franklin (Ant Bear Audio)
  • Music provided by The Happy Hollows
  • Download icons shamelessly stolen from Idle Thumbs threads

Lijik

Only caught the Jazz Jackrabbit part the first time reading this thread title and got super excited :(
Downloading interview now, should be good

Does the interview actually contain any discussion on the Jazz Jackrabbit series (including but not limited to the possibility of him developing Jazz Jackrabbit 3DS) or did you just throw that in there for no reason?

LCfiner

that was a good listen. I liked Remo bringing up the tea holder Amazon delivery. he was so freaked out by it on his twitter. :lol

there was some nice talk in this episode. thumbs up.

Karram

I think that was the worst interview from all 4 interviews. Probably because Cliff was the one talking most of the time about stuff that isn't really interesting or stuff he already talked about before. Also it was pretty awkward when Levine said something like " we're making a new sequel and there's five new weapons and that's it"

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Karram said:
I think that was the worst interview from all 4 interviews. Probably because Cliff was the one talking most of the time about stuff that isn't really interesting or stuff he already talked about before. Also it was pretty awkward when Levine said something like " we're making a new sequel and there's five new weapons and that's it"

He said it as an example of what they're not doing. smh...

well, it was a great episode.

The first part was pretty stiff, but I liked their self-awareness about praising each other. I was thinking that they might start blowing each other right in the studio and then Levine jokes about friendly fellatio. The second part is much better. I agree that if you want to sell a 60$ game you might offer something better than just a good game and keep hardcore players hooked because they can sell it to their mainstream friends. I understand this because I always ask my friend about new cool electronic music which I'm too lazy to look for. Basically you need to be THE BEST because you wouldn't want your mainstream friend to waste their time on something average. For example I liked Enslaved but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody I know. So much media fighting for people's attention these days so you should be really something in order to be noticed. That idea highlighted this podcast. It's worth listening.

Also lol @ Resident Killswitch.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Why does Irrational Interview sound so much like NPR? (that's a good thing, but man, it oozes NPR)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I know they were both very aware of it, but Levine and Blezsinski (sorry if that's spelt wrong, I have a complicated last name too, I know the pain) were just a little too self-congratulatory this time. I mean, the intro almost made me puke.

MNC

Lijik said:
Only caught the Jazz Jackrabbit part the first time reading this thread title and got super excited :(
Downloading interview now, should be good
Guilty as charged

Jazz Jack Rabbit 2 level editor consumed so many fucking hours.

Karram

subversus said:
He said it as an example of what they're not doing. smh...
ofcourse I get that part but the reason I thought it's awkward is seeing what Cliff is doing with Gears 3 and what he did with Gears 2.

Jex

It wasn't quite as interesting as the other episodes, but it was still pretty damn good.

As usual, this show seems rather unappreciated judging by the lack of comments.

StuBurns

Banned
Rez said:
I know they were both very aware of it, but Levine and Blezsinski (sorry if that's spelt wrong, I have a complicated last name too, I know the pain) were just a little too self-congratulatory this time. I mean, the intro almost made me puke.
Yeah I agree, I didn't enjoy this episode. BioShock might have an audience with a propensity to intellectualize the game, but Gears audience does not. Cliffy mocking the people who have made him lots of cash is embarrassing to listen to. There's nothing wrong with being Michael Bay, there is something wrong with being a pretentious Michael Bay.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
StuBurns said:
Yeah I agree, I didn't enjoy this episode. BioShock might have an audience with a propensity to intellectualize the game, but Gears audience does not. Cliffy mocking the people who have made him lots of cash is embarrassing to listen to. There's nothing wrong with being Michael Bay, there is something wrong with being a pretentious Michael Bay.
the androgynous Japanese character OR super-macho Gears character false dichotomy really made me cringe.

Jex

Rez said:
Actually the most awkward moment for me was Cliff talking about Vanquish needing multiplayer, when Ken had said on one the recent interviews that unnecessary multiplayer modes may be the largest waste of time and money in the whole industry.

Also "I was blown away by Amazon Prime" - Chris Remo.

LCfiner said:
that was a good listen. I liked Remo bringing up the tea holder Amazon delivery. he was so freaked out by it on his twitter. :lol
"What are you a 90 year old woman?" was exactly what I was thinking before Levine said it. :lol Remo didn't say much but he still managed to be the highlight of the show.

Anyway I thought the episode was interesting. Even if Cliff talking about Marcus' daddy issues is a bit awkward it's nice to hear that he cares about that stuff, regardless of how well he succeeds.

has cliff ever expressed his feelings about uncharted? Im curious to know since the games are a bit similar in some ways, (cover system obv) and that U2 brought the cinematic flair to a higher level then Gears 2 did. Anyone know?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I listened to Keiron's interview today and yes, that one was much better than this. Still, a great episode. Last 15 minutes at least when they start talking about some random stuff.

Domcorleone said:
has cliff ever expressed his feelings about uncharted? Im curious to know since the games are a bit similar in some ways, (cover system obv) and that U2 brought the cinematic flair to a higher level then Gears 2 did. Anyone know?

he liked it.

webrunner

I think there should be an Irrational Interviews roundtable. Maybe make the first one about story in games? They could get representivies from some of the bigger story-in-games companies.. telltale games, of course. 2K Marin due to their close working relationship with Irrational would be smart. Oh.. and those guys who did Fallout 3 and Oblivion should have someone give their take.

I wonder if those companies have anyone experienced with doing podcasts on staff?

denomes

Odrion said:
So now that Hotscoops Gaynor is joining Irrational, is there a chance we'll see Irrational Thumbs?

Isn't Nick in the area as well?

Thumbs isn't thumbs without Mr. Rodkin though. They should do a new show, though Irrational Thumbs is kind of a good name.

Top Bottom