• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is cheese a pizza topping?

Is cheese a pizza topping?

• Total voters

Jennings

Is cheese a pizza ingredient, without which there is no pizza, or is it merely one of many toppings one may add to a pizza? Does it make or break the recipe?

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
The UNESCO made the pizza a world heritage in its basic form so i'd say cheese is not a topping, it's an indispensable part.

Pizza means life!

Jennings

The UNESCO made the pizza a world heritage in its basic form so i'd say cheese is not a topping, it's an indispensable part.

Pizza means life!
But UNESCO's definition of a Neapolitan marinara pizza doesn't mention cheese at all, and in fact only requires two things, bread and seasoned sauce, produced this way:

As Amy Held reports for NPR, achieving the perfect Neapolitan slice is a cherished tradition that is, ahem, not easy as pie. First, the dough must be kneaded for at least 15 minutes, and then left to rise for 12 hours. The dough is then formed into balls, which are left to rise again. The pizzaiuoli then stretch the dough by hurling it into the air, shape it into a circle, and sprinkle it with one of two types of toppings: marinara (tomato, oil, oregano and garlic), or margarita (all of the aforementioned ingredients, plus basil and cheese). Pop the finished product into an oven for just two minutes, and boom: you’ve got yourself an authentic Neapolitan pizza.

Last edited:

Catphish

It's not a topping, but cheeseless pizza is still pizza.
angry mob GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBS

Wildebeest

Margarita pizza is the best known pizza and is a cheese pizza, but you can technically put a lot of different things on a pizza, with often less being more traditional or classy. Putting ranch dressing on it makes it more controversial than not having cheese.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
But UNESCO's definition of a Neapolitan marinara pizza doesn't mention cheese at all, and in fact only requires two things, bread and seasoned sauce, produced this way:
This is because the pizza itself is not a world heritage. The way it is prepared has received this title.

Last edited:

mitch1971

Eve when I buy a frozen cheese pizza I add another layer of grated cheese on top.

And I'll fight anyone who adds pineapple to a pizza. Or raisins to a curry, for that matter.

Little Mac

So when you order a pizza with extra cheese ... you are ordering extra pizza?

Cheese is a topping. And the poll result is clearly an outcome of a Russian cyberattack.

Last edited:
Mozzarella is a fundamental part of pizza. Additional cheese types are pizza toppings.

There are edge cases, but this covers most of the pizza world.

BigBooper

Yea. When I was a kid we would occasionally go to a Pizza bar that had dessert pizzas. They definitely did not put cheese on their chocolate chip pizza.

It looked similar to this.

Nester99

No, it’s like the dough, an ingredient.

How do we feel about BBQ sauce or Alfredo sauce instead of Tomato Sauce? Can make some great combinations imo.

Jennings

extra cheese is a topping.

if you get a pizza, it will have sauce and cheese as a baseline.
So if you create a pizza without cheese, it isn't a pizza until cheese is sprinkled atop?

This creation has no cheese, but you would consider it inauthentic?

07SdZ1y.jpg

HoodWinked

So if you create a pizza without cheese, it isn't a pizza until cheese is sprinkled atop?

This creation has no cheese, but you would consider it inauthentic?

07SdZ1y.jpg

i do a reverse search and it gives me "pizza vegana sin queso". so vegetarian pizza without cheese. so i think it still stands.

GymWolf

No.

Pizza with only tomato is almost as sad as pizza with pineapples, so cheese is fundamental, not accessory.

Top Bottom