• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

is Gaf really an enthusiast gaming forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm i'm conflicted on this matter TBQH, if all of us here are "enthisiasts" why is console warring threads regularly get 1k+ replies while threads disscussing actual games regardsless of which platform it's on barely gets over 50-70 replies?

Nah the ratio is about right, there has been a plethora of marketing studies over the decades and unhappy thoughts/customers are posted around 7-12 times more often than positive ones. The same goes for reviews of companies/games/products etc, you just see the outlet more than the support. Once you understand that about human nature you'll see it's not all doom and gloom. People complain because they're are enthusiastic, it's a reinforcement of the idea more than the opposite being true.

Last edited:

D3SCHA1N

based on my short time here I'd say it's a forum populated with people who play games, the level of enthusiasm experienced during that time seems to vary widely...

Domisto

I don't really think creating OTs for specific indie games is very meaningful as there are so many potential games and the threads will get buried. I think one thread for all kinds of indie stuff could work. But then I've tried posting stuff in the Steam thread and it always dies right away so I don't know.
This needs reviving and over time branching into sub communities when needed. I would/should contribute myself but I'm more playing retro at the moment.

FrankWza

tenor.gif
How’s that? I went into a deal thread and shit on something?
The negativity enters quickly. Then, you feel like you should reply and it’s a cycle. There was a thread a while back for LG Oled deals and within the first page someone came in with their burn in, low light bullshit. It was a thread to give heads up on and what deals were available. Nope, had to be negative about it. It wasn’t an advice thread. They were already shopping.It’s more about justifying your purchase than helping.

Nah the ratio is about right, there has been a plethora of marketing studies over the decades and unhappy thoughts/customers are posted around 7-12 times more often than positive ones. The same goes for reviews of companies/games/products etc, you just see the outlet more than the support. Once you understand that about human nature you'll see it's not all doom and gloom. People complain because their are enthusiastic, it's a reinforcement of the idea more than the opposite being true.
........... What? No I'm serious WTF are you on about? How is a platform warring linked to being a "game enthusiast"? An enthusiast should be open minded to all game genres and game systems, do you think some sperg screeching about how Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo are winning or losing and how muh plastic box is better than yours is what I or many others came to this fourm for?

........... What? No I'm serious WTF are you on about? How is a platform warring linked to being a "game enthusiast"? An enthusiast should be open minded to all game genres and game systems, do you think some sperg screeching about how Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo are winning or losing and how muh plastic box is better than yours is what I or many others came to this fourm for?

Sure the warring and fanboyism could be left at the door but I was more generally talking about negative chatter being more popular. You're correct on the warring aspect mate, no argument there.

Hmmm i'm conflicted on this matter TBQH, if all of us here are "enthisiasts" why is console warring threads regularly get 1k+ replies while threads disscussing actual games regardsless of which platform it's on barely gets over 50-70 replies?

This is pretty much where I stand, and it's a great reply. This concept gets extended quite a bit in the conversation that DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi and Hawks Eclipse Hawks Eclipse were having with each other, in this very thread.

I've had my best experience with the "Communities" section of this website. There you have some of the people that most closely resemble "enthusiasts" -- people that are passionate and willing to engage in deeper aspects of video games, including gameplay, video game design, history and appreciation for older/retro consoles, etc.

But even then, activity there is so low, I'm sure it could be demoralizing to the thread starters. Take the "Sega Saturn" thread in the Communities section, for example. It's mostly just Daniel Thomas MacInnes Daniel Thomas MacInnes posting into the void (with inputs from Kazza Kazza as well), but you can tell just how passionate he is about the Saturn. I wish his efforts could be rewarded a little more. I'm a little guilty of it myself because I can be more active in the Saturn thread (and will become more active there over time), but nevertheless...

Yet, you have some spectacularly shitty threads in the main "Gaming" section, with console warring and other hot and garbage takes, that generate hundreds, sometimes thousands, of replies. I didn't think I would have to, but I've already used the "Ignore" function a couple of times to ignore troll-ish users.

Long, elaborate posts often get ignored. Single-sentence posts (usually of a "hot take" nature), posts with just a single pic with otherwise no context, etc, are the ones that get lots of reactions, lots of replies, etc.

I actually did an experiment with this, this past weekend. When Nvidia posted on their blog about nerfing the mining capabilities of RTX 3060's, I'm pretty sure I was the first one that posted about it in this forum. I contemplated two choices:

(1) Use the search feature, realized that it probably fit best within the RTX 3000 series OT, and post the news there;
(2) Create a separate thread for it

I went for #1. Lo and behold, my post in the OT was practically altogether ignored (which I don't care about, since I'm not on the internet for a popularity contest). But hours after my post, somebody made a thread for it, and not only was it a separate thread, but it had a slightly more "hot take"-ish nature in the OP. So of course that generated lots of replies.

TL;DR -- By some definitions, the entire forum is an enthusiast forum. But to my definition of "enthusiast," they are largely in the Communities section. And that's where I spent a large amount of my time on this website, and will continue to do. While I hope that the main Gaming section improves, I'm not counting on it due to the very nature of the internet, which a lot of people have already discussed in this thread.

Here at GAF, we don't hold our skirts up and tip-toe through the tulips. Our bitching leads to shit getting done. We've been through it a million times and we get right down to it. Ignore us at your own folly. If you need to fix your broke-ass or socially retarded game, there's no better place for straight up advice.

Last edited:
I hear you brother. Nothing worse than pixel counters and framerate whores.
The problem there is when a game with shitty graphics finds success, a wave of imitators that think they can make a similar game and get away with using shitty graphics, too. Now we have 1000s of shitty games with shitty graphics in the year 2020 and they all think they're being clever.

NeoLed

It quite sad reading the first page of Valheim will blow up thread. People mocking op and game made by indie studio without even try to see or play the game

Last edited:

Pejo

NO because no one is playing Princess Connect excet me....
I dl'ed it on a whim not expecting much, but I have had a lot of fun with the little auto battler. It's very very low time requirement so it's a nice little side-game.

Anyways, on topic, I feel like GAF likes the drama clickbait stuff these days more than talking about actual games. Now to be fair, since COVID, game releases have slowed down to a crawl, especially big name games, but OTs for a bunch of games move at a super slow pace and often get buried for stuff about *so and so game developer does this* or *journalist writes idiotic story* or *hot take Twitter post*. There's a surprising amount of console wars too, considering that there hasn't been anything big released for the new gen of consoles since December.

It's definitely an enthusiast forum, but it doesn't seem that most people here are interested in actually talking about games, just stuff that surrounds them.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The problem there is when a game with shitty graphics finds success, a wave of imitators that think they can make a similar game and get away with using shitty graphics, too. Now we have 1000s of shitty games with shitty graphics in the year 2020 and they all think they're being clever.
Maybe not everyone is graphics whore like they are GAF? Not every developers have luxury to have expensive graphics for their games.

e&e

Banned
It's just slow right now because there are no true bangers. Cyberpunk was the chosen one but... I'm waiting for next gen patch. Halo Infinite was supposed to be here but it was sent back for upgrades. By the end of this year there will be a lot more next gen consoles in gamers hands and more fun games to play. I'm holding out hope for Battlefield 6 and Final Fantasy XVI as well.
So what you are saying is that the Next gen consoles didn’t launch with Next gen games?

Last edited:

LordCBH

They straight up banned discussion on a game that’s a part of an incredibly popular series because of their own stupidity. No, PedoEra isn’t an enthusiast forum lol.

Last edited:
So what you are saying is that the Next gen consoles didn’t launch with Next gen games?

Sort of. Next gen experience is for sure here. My Series X is fucking great with awesome load speeds, quality of life improvements and good games like Yakuza Like a Dragon and Gears Tactics. A couple of games I was counting on aren't launched yet though.

Rickyiez

Nope, too much delusional fanboys and peoples taking out of their ass to be an enthusiast forum . I expect it should be more neutral and insightful in discussion. Some of the comments in AMD or Nvidia thread are way too toxic

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

ERA talks about more Japanese games or what they are doing, but they really don’t like too many AAA games because some of them don’t rep LGBTQ.

Gaf doesn’t talk much about AA games but more so AAA games and big budget studios, also nobody on gaf cares if some video games has LGBTQ black, brown green characters.

anthraticus

Banned
I feel like some valuable posters left GAF when people switched to ERA. Hopefully they'll get banned sooner or later so they'll return here and start talking about more niche games. ;)
I like the more niche games & genres, but when all you see all these shitty mainstream/AAA topics, just one after the other after the other...
gftFw73.gif

Just makes me want to go browse the codex instead.

xrnzaaas

I like the more niche games & genres, but when all you see all these shitty mainstream/AAA topics, just one after the other after the other...
gftFw73.gif

Just makes me want to go browse the codex instead.
I think there are two reasons for that - GAF still isn't as big as it used to be before the split and many people are unwilling to create threads for niche games which will probably get several replies at best. With more popular games you can actually see the thread grow, I wouldn't say that people visiting GAF play AAA titles only and ignore the indies.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'm glad the politics section here is separated from off topic, cause the "politics" is cancer.

As for gaming forum, it's much better to participate here, but the number of participants is way too low compared to Era, even considering the crazy ban rate.

If only Gaf can somehow increase/attract more members...
Well, the difference is at neogaf you get randomly chosen if you are eligible to become a member or not, while on Era you just have to attach an image to show your blue hair while having a black dick in your mouth.

Which many sjws apparently have.

But I think you actually don't need to get validated over there, which is why.

See it as Era are the garbage collectors. Would you really want more members here if it resulted in the average Era userbase?

I won't lie, I do kinda miss it 💔😅 but sincerely I just wanted to show my appreciation for gaf after reading that depressing thread.

I don't think the question I parroted from there is really that relevant tbh. I love the forum where you can be yourself as long as you're not being a toxic asshole about it 🤷

Be kind to one another folks ❤️

As for the other place, it has its moments I guess, until the interesting convos get locked.
I skimmed through that entire thread. Outside of 1-2 absurd replies, most of them are answering the question (with various attitudes) and some are even quite self-aware. I don't see that thread as "depressing".

As for your justifications, you don't have to convince me. Just ask yourself what you get out of discussing Resetera so much and answer yourself (and not anyone here, including me) honestly.

I fully agree with your third part and have something to add: "Be kind to one another and remember to be kind to yourself."

Long, elaborate posts often get ignored. Single-sentence posts (usually of a "hot take" nature), posts with just a single pic with otherwise no context, etc, are the ones that get lots of reactions, lots of replies, etc.
I might be reading too much into the implication but I'll offer a rationale for the people (including me) that mostly don't reply to such posts:

Long posts tend to involve multiple, often separate points which can be tiring to reply to all at once. (There's a lot more I could add but I think you can extrapolate the possible thought processes :))

I think of it like ingame tutorials: overloading the user with information results in them skipping everything, lol.

Let's use your reply as an example, I have plenty of two cents but most of it is in agreement, so I'll pick a reaction that best encapsulates how I feel about the comment as a whole and here I'm replying to a part that I think could do with a reply.

manzo

I wish gaming would be in two sub categories. Games and technical.

Then the fanboy wars could be contaminated into the technical thread. I fucking hate reading about games when you have the PCMR talking about 144fps and ultrawide not being supported, Xbox guys fighting PS people about if the shadows are either low or ultra low.

I could read the talk about the games because at this age I don't give a flying fuck if the resolution is 1800p or full 4k or if there is VRR enabled or what fucking not.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Gaming OTs are mostly empty unless it is something like Cyberpunk. Tech threads are popular because a few 40 year old clueless retards always shit up the conversation every time with console war nonsense. I feel a lot of people like talking about gaming stuff but only play the few big releases each year. Maybe people are just older and have more time to lurk forums at work then play games. I play a lot of Japanese games and games that don’t have AAA budgets so it feels like I’m talking to myself sometimes when it comes to the games I like.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I'll be honest: I still don't understand what goes there and what doesn't.

The subforum collects monothematic threads where discussion is centered on one topic, be it a game or something else like a music genre. Because the threads are for a single topic discussions tend to be very productive and constructive.

There’s a pinned thread with an index of threads: click here for the index

TVexperto

GAF has an everyone is welcome approach, where people can share their differentiated opinions on gaming meanwhile resetera is banning anyone that has a different opinion than the admins

luffie

Well, the difference is at neogaf you get randomly chosen if you are eligible to become a member or not, while on Era you just have to attach an image to show your blue hair while having a black dick in your mouth.

Which many sjws apparently have.

But I think you actually don't need to get validated over there, which is why.

See it as Era are the garbage collectors. Would you really want more members here if it resulted in the average Era userbase?
As if you have a metric to measure the average user on Era other than using your "feelings".

There's no less garbage here, but making up delusional thoughts about them doesn't validate your moral superiority, you are doing exactly what the worst of Era does.

Last edited:

matty3092

After today, I don‘t think Gaf is enthusiastic about any games. Seriusly what a train wreck.

We are all supposed to be here because we love video games, but nobody likes any games anymore.

It’s beyond stupid now.
It's only because of no AAA games being shown last night it'll be all back to Sony shilling when they show off Horizon gameplay.

The_Mike

As if you have a metric to measure the average user on Era other than using your "feelings".

There's no less garbage here, but making up delusional thoughts about them doesn't validate your moral superiority, you are doing exactly what the worst of Era does.
Your post are confusing me.

When you say "you", is it like Gaf in general or me?

If you feel like Gaf is like Era, then I'm confused about why you are here.

I mean, era is a dictatorship where if your opinion ain't sjw and you dont hate white people, then you are perma banned.

It's the most hostile and toxic place on earth.

If you don't feel the same like the reset of the hive mind there, then say goodbye to your account.

Also, you are defending a Pedophile forum

luffie

Your post are confusing me.

When you say "you", is it like Gaf in general or me?

If you feel like Gaf is like Era, then I'm confused about why you are here.

I mean, era is a dictatorship where if your opinion ain't sjw and you dont hate white people, then you are perma banned.

It's the most hostile and toxic place on earth.

If you don't feel the same like the reset of the hive mind there, then say goodbye to your account.

Also, you are defending a Pedophile forum
Why can't i be here and there? What's your logic? You can't be in Era because you are here? That's your problem.

Again what's your metric, your "feelings"?

Pedo forum? You think Gaf is angel forum?

Your viewpoint of Era or Gaf, left or right, purity or dictatorship, is so juvenile.

Anyway, this is a game thread, let's just stop it here.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Why can't i be here and there? What's your logic? You can't be in Era because you are here? That's your problem.

Your viewpoint of Era or Gaf, left or right, purity or dictatorship, is so juvenile.

What is juvenile is your sad attempts to defend that site full of miserable, hateful cunts. Cunts that openly celebrate folks' deaths, that push clearly troubled folk into suicide because they are troubled because they dared say a word they dislike. A site that will try to ruin your life and actively harass and stalk you. A site whose entire foundations are built upon and continues to propagate lies all in a bid to gain control.

Most people have a spine and principles they stand by, ones that prevent them from using such a vile hate site. Clearly you don't seem to have that.

Last edited:

The_Mike

Funny thing is,

I have evidence of them being pedophiles. You defend they, which is frightening me, with the argument that Gaf aren't angels. This alone me you are a leftist. "it's OK if other people does it".
Second, people use feelings as arguments are also typical leftism, because the truth can hurt so much that it's easier to use feelings as a measurement.

Leftism is dictatorship. Either you share my opinion, or you get the ban.

This is mostly a right winged forum, and be glad for that, because you won't get banned for your opinion.

If you defended Gaf on Era you would be banned faster than the speed of light.

And yes, thank god this is a gaming forum and not a political forum where the majority cries over there's not enough black characters, all white characters should be abomished from the culture and there's not trannies in cyberpunk and that there should be more rainbow flags on the cars.

The seventh reply:

"I don't see an issue with what they said, but it's easy to guess it won't please everyone at this point."

Perma ban.

This is also a good thread. Trying to ban the game for saying someone who wants 9876 genders are nuts. Meanwhile many of them seem to have been banned for not being woke enough.

Theres also the thread where there were gay jokes in Ion Fury, where the echo chamber rage actually became so massive that they removed the gay jokes, which resulted in the devs removing it.

The outcome? There were mass refunds because of it. They reimplemented it, and they sold better than before and Era were all like reee.

But yeah, let's discuss games here. Thankfully there is a forum for that.

Last thing. Try to say to the mods that you are also a Gaffer, and see what happens.

Here we laugh at Eras, but over there they want to kill you with silence.

Last edited:

Boneless

GameFaqs is gaming forum where you go if you like trolling, and a forum that exists of 90% threads to ruins others´ fun
ResetEra is gaming forum where you go if are a person that easily feels triggered, and have a worldview that you think is very inclusive, but by demonizing other views is actually very narrow minded
Gaf is gaming forum where you go if you don´t feel attracted to either of the two above, which means relatively normal people come here.

ripeavocado

Banned
My guess is that the average age here is 30 y.o. and old gamers tend to become casuals (because they have other things to do in life) or over obsess with few genres or franchises (because they are losers that play only because they don't have anything else to do in life)

People really into games? a rare breed these days.

(I am not one of them anymore, I have other things to do and modern gaming is getting progressively shittier)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom