• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is ir really true that Super Smash Bros players smell? ("Jooxed, go take a shower!" - Shigeru Miyamoto)

I love the franchise but I've never played it with anyone else other than a few of my friends who usually take showers together. Yet, this rumor/meme really skyrocketed into popular gaming culture lexicons.

Here is a video explaining this:

What gives, GAF? Do you believe this stereotype is true or ultimately false?

MiguelItUp

Honestly I believe it. I don't think it's necessarily Smash's fault, just that Smash apparently lures THAT kind of nerd/game fan. I feel like a lot of those kids go hand and hand with some anime convention kids. I mean, they're very similar.

Going to numerous fighting game tournaments, never experienced it. Hell, even at Quakecon's LAN. But walking through the halls of some anime conventions, or into a Smash tournament. Definitely.

TL;DR it's the people, not the things they like. People are just gross, lmao.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Honestly I believe it. I don't think it's necessarily Smash's fault, just that Smash apparently lures THAT kind of nerd/game fan. I feel like a lot of those kids go hand and hand with some anime convention kids. I mean, they're very similar.

Going to numerous fighting game tournaments, never experienced it. Hell, even at Quakecon's LAN. But walking through the halls of some anime conventions, or into a Smash tournament. Definitely.

This. It's a bit like when you find yourself in a midnight launch line, and people who clearly haven't been out in years are all around you.

It's not an indictment of all gamers, or even everyone at said events. It just that the crowd that some of these really niche nerd interests tend to draw is often destroyed, damaged people.

It just that the crowd that some of these really niche nerd interests tend to draw is often destroyed, damaged people.
"One copy of Odyssey, pleaze."
o6qyX9O.jpg

Kokoloko85

Can confirm. Had the N64 Japan version first week of release and me and friends all stank after an all nighter and sleep over.
Pizza, Sweat, farts, the odd naughty cigarette thinking we’re cool....
To be 14 and stinky again.....

Esca

That's so disgusting. You want to smell and not shower, fine. But when you go out shower that day so no one else has to deal with your stench

GrayFoxPL

I love the franchise but I've never played it with anyone else other than a few of my friends who usually take showers together. Yet, this rumor/meme really skyrocketed into popular gaming culture lexicons.

Guy shat himself during a match and kept playing?!

pu6ByW5.gif

Fucking disgusting.

Calling someone like that "a turd" is not an insult, it's a description.

That's why fgc doesn't want to acknowledge them.

ultrazilla

Gold Member

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Anytime I play Smash I make sure to drink 6 energy drinks then shit myself so that I feel more immersed in the experience.

The aroma is almost palpable.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I mean how many threads have we seen here where someone has said "I don't need to use deodorant"?

I never understood why body odor is such a problem in ultra hardcore nerd cultures.

A.Romero

I bet there is correlation between hardcore fans of anything and poor hygiene and it's probably related to the spectrum.

In my experience, Smash hardcore fans tend to be weird people.

Mistake

A long time ago I went to anime boston, and the smash room was just foul. It's pretty true. FPS games don't really give me nervous sweats, but smash does, so I put on deodorant whenever I play, even at home.

StormCell

Lures is absolutely right. There are all kinds of games that attract people of different types. Smash just strikes me as the type of game that appeals to people who understand that it's more than a button masher, but they know they will never convince the world of that. It doesn't seem like a competitive crowd that would truly think highly of themselves. Not like competitive shooter leagues.

Man I remember when I was younger I would collect Magic the Gathering cards and a buddy of mine asked me to go to Friday night magic at our local comic book store. I've gagged at horrible smells before but that was the first time I threw up smelling something so bad. There are women I work with who tell me smash tournaments smell worse.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I've been in three local Smash Bros tournaments, and there was at least one horribly smelly guy at each one. One guy made me physically retch while walking past him. :sick:

I was also in a Killer Instinct and KI2 tournament back in the 90's...and that place actually smelled clean and great both times. KI players apparently took hygiene very seriously. :lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes:

(I actually won 1st place in the KI2 tournament with Maya & Jago. Cleanliness makes everything better!) ✨🏆:lollipop_raising_hand:

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

I've been to 2 Melee local tournaments. The first time, yeah it was pretty bad, second time around I didn't really notice anything although it's worth noting that the second time was much smaller scale. The first one was very crowded with multiple Smash games.

DogofWar

I have never liked Smash Bros, never understood and prefer Tekken or Soul Calibur 8 days of the week.

And I take regular showers and people have even called me a germophobe at times.

Coincidence?

Last edited:
Top Bottom