• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it time for Fallout to go back to isometric?

Dr_Salt

Old school fallout fans know how much the games changed when Bethesda took over and not only in the first person view but also the themes and speciallly its dark oppressive atmosphere that seems to have been supplanted by Bethesda for a more dark tongue in cheek humor. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the Bethesda Fallout games but there is just something missing that was lost from the older Interplay games. After the success of Baldur's Gate 3 and considering the insane fact that Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky and Brian Fargo now all work for Microsoft, do you guys think that it might be a good time for Fallout to go back to its isometric turn based roots now that it is proven that old school isometric RPGs are viable in 2023 if made correctly?

I know probably Todd Howard will never let anyone else do Fallout 5 but I think it would be cool if we get an isometric spinoff made by Cain/Boyarsky or the team at InXile with the attention to detail that BG3 has.

IhbPEZj.jpg

Dr_Salt

No. Fuck that.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas beat the shit outta the originals.

You can disagree but you can be WRONG!
I don't dislike the newer games, I enjoy them all tbh. I do like the atmosphere of the older interplay games tho, specially Fallout 1. Alot of it has to do with the incredible soundtrack by Mark Morgan.

Those games make you feel you are actually in a opressive post apocalyptic wasteland fighthing for your survival.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
inXile are up to something and Microsoft have owned them for 5 years. There was a rumour going round just this year that they're working on something in "an established IP".

After the success of BG3? Wouldn't surprise me if meetings are already being held about this. Not saying it'll go anywhere. Not saying the end result will be any good if it does.

But yeah, there's a very small chance we get a spin-off from a studio that isn't Bethesda.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
I’d like it but, no, the series has moved on. It needs to be one thing or another - I don’t think it has the popularity to support a mainstream and an enthusiast product.

Yes it should, in fact, it arguably never should have even left.

Who even honestly wants a Bethesda Fallout 5? the world doesn't need that, what we need is an InExile Fallout.

Old school fallout fans know how much the games changed when Bethesda took over and not only in the first person view but also the themes and speciallly its dark oppressive atmosphere that seems to have been supplanted by Bethesda for a more dark tongue in cheek humor. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the Bethesda Fallout games but there is just something missing that was lost from the older Interplay games.
A big of part of what's missing is the darker tone you mention.

Bethesda's take feels a little too wacky, Fallout always has a satirical tone, but should have a much darker edge to it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It’s not happening, ever, just because MS doesn’t go in and big time their studios, even when it is justified (Redfall). They aren’t going to take the IP from Bethesda and hand it to a team without the full approval of Bethesda. And of course, even if those exact guys who worked on and wrote Fallout 1-2 were given a new one, and told to make it in the same style and tone, who says they will or even want to? They wrote those games when they were young men, they are middled aged if not old now. Who even knows if they have it in them?

We do have Wasteland 2-3 which imo are really good.

Last edited:

Holammer

Remakes of Fallout 1&2 in the style of BG3 with some expanded content would be great. Giving you a little bit more control over the followers.
I believe Fallout Tactics devs lost all the art assets, so it could never be used to remake them back in the days.

Last edited:

SScorpio

It’s not happening, ever, just because MS doesn’t go in and big time their studios, even when it is justified (Redfall). They aren’t going to take the IP from Bethesda and hand it to a team without the full approval of Bethesda. And of course, even if those exact guys who worked on and wrote Fallout 1-2 were given a new one, and told to make it in the same style and tone, who says they will or even want to? They wrote those games when they were young men, they are middled aged if not old now. Who even knows if they have it in them?

We do have Wasteland 2-3 which imo are really good.
Maybe you already know, but it didn't come across in what you said. But Brian Fargo and some devs made a game called Wasteland that was published by EA. He later founded Interplay and they wanted to do another Wasteland but didn't own the rights so they made a spiritual successor and called it Fallout.

After Interplay folded Brian founded InXile and several of the original members who made Wasteland helped make Wasteland 2 after getting the rights from EA. So a sequel to the game that Fallout is a spiritual successor to made by people who worked on the original Wasteland and Fallouts. Sure there are some mechanics differences and theme differences. But they pretty much are modern isometric Fallouts.

And Microsoft owns InXile which I talked about above, Bethesda who are the current Fallout license holders who have some of the Fallout 1&2 devs working there, and Obsidian who did Fallout New Vegas where several other Fallout 1 & 2 alums are. Bethesda isn't against other studios working with their IP, look at Fallout New Vegas, Fallout '76, and Elder Scrolls Online. Larian did an amazing job on BG3, but why farm the IP out when you have so many internal studios that could do it justice?

Who knows what InXile will be up to after they finish Clockwork Revolution which looks like that total Bioshock rip-off.

EDMIX

Old school fallout fans know how much the games changed when Bethesda took over and not only in the first person view but also the themes and speciallly its dark oppressive atmosphere that seems to have been supplanted by Bethesda for a more dark tongue in cheek humor. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the Bethesda Fallout games but there is just something missing that was lost from the older Interplay games. After the success of Baldur's Gate 3 and considering the insane fact that Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky and Brian Fargo now all work for Microsoft, do you guys think that it might be a good time for Fallout to go back to its isometric turn based roots now that it is proven that old school isometric RPGs are viable in 2023 if made correctly?

I know probably Todd Howard will never let anyone else do Fallout 5 but I think it would be cool if we get an isometric spinoff made by Cain/Boyarsky or the team at InXile with the attention to detail that BG3 has.

IhbPEZj.jpg

No.

HOWEVER, I would like a swappable option. I mean I'm sure it could be done btw as VATs allows for both real time and pausing, I'm sure there is a way to have both gameplay types or something and the view itself could be done as that isn't that wild of an issue.

I'd like it as an option, I'd like it as its own game.

Gojiira

Not necessarily OP. BUT it is time for someone other than Bethesda to make it. It NEEDS to go back to Story/Lore/Atmosphere/Mechanics of earlier games.
It NEEDS to focus on the RPG aspect of it because Beth have just all but removed it at this point.
Its not even up for debate,Bethesda have never understood Fallouts universe or presented it properly and they have done nothing but dumb it down with each new entry.
Now do I have faith in Microsoft delivering a good Fallout RPG? Fuck no, and if they do they better fucking make it multiplat or they can shove it up Phils ass.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I like InXile quite a bit but why not let Obsidian take a crack at it

New Vegas 2 in the Pillars of Eternity engine would be ace and also wouldn’t take a decade to make

Last edited:

radewagon

Nope. OG Fallout excels in spite of horrible isometric viewpoint not because of it. Isometric, in fact, has never been a good idea.

Sensates

The atmosphere and death animations of the originals are some of the best ever.

But first person Fallout is the way to go forward, although not with a tasteless developer like Bethesda. They can copy all the ideas from the originals but not the soul.

sendit

Yes it should, in fact, it arguably never should have even left.

Who even honestly wants a Bethesda Fallout 5? the world doesn't need that, what we need is an InExile Fallout.

A big of part of what's missing is the darker tone you mention.

Bethesda's take feels a little too wacky, Fallout always has a satirical tone, but should have a much darker edge to it.
Imagine living in your own echo chamber and believing this. What Bethesda needs to do is drop the Creation Engine.

Robb

Gold Member
I’m not much of a Fallout fan but I’m pretty sure I’d be even less of a Fallout fan of it was isometric.

Hestar69

with the success of BG3 it would be cool is MS has a team work on a game like BG3 but in teh fallout universe.would be huge!

Back in the Summer of '99 I was looking for a new RPG, I had been into Phantasy Star, Final Fantasy, along with some Might and Magic and various other turn-based RPGs... I picked up Baldur's Gate because it had reviewed great, but ended up not liking it because of the weird real-time combat. I stopped playing probably within an hour (so it might not have been *entirely* fair)...

But, for whatever reason, it came with a free copy of Fallout in a single non-descript white CD sleeve (as opposed to the god-knows-how-many BG discs)... I immediately fell in love with Fallout, and never touched the original Baldur's Gate again...

Fast-forward to this week, picked up Baldur's Gate 3, and for the most part it's what I thought I'd be getting back in '99 with the original Baldur's Gate... and in a lot of ways it reminds me of real Fallout.

So yeah, fuck real-time combat, fuck first-person. Make RPGs Great Again. (even though I did enjoy Fallout 3 on its own merits, it just wasn't the same).

Hudo

Sure, why not. Bethesda should throw a fuck ton of money at Larian and see what they can do with the franchise. Hell, they could have an isometric classic and a modern Fallout alongside each other.
I don't think Bethesda will ever collaborate with a half-competent studio ever again. They still seem to be salty as fuck that New Vegas is considered to be the best Fallout and not one of Bethesda's own Fallouts. That's at least how ZeniMax and Bethesda management appear to me.

Absolutely not. That ruins every bit of immersion and makes the game feel like.. I don't know, a generic piece of desktop software instead of a game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom