• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Oshi no Ko a good show?

LakeOf9

I've been hearing about this one all year. Not a big anime fan, not a big fan of the whole idol culture, but there are people who have never touched anime who seem to be raving about it and saying it's some of the best TV in a very long time.

Is it actually worth it? I don't have anything against anime and will happily watch if it's good (I loved Death Note), so I am totally on board for watching it if it is actually worth it, I just thought it was some cute idol nonsense. But apparently it's more?

Anyone on gaf seen this?

Mistake

No. The show lures you in with the hopes of it being a nice murder mystery, only to turn into a bunch of idol nonsense

lachesis

I enjoyed the manga so far. Anime was decent too - but more because of production quality was pretty good.
As per the story wise - Some growth element that I enjoyed - but it's one of those shows that I don't particularly like any of the characters, but just want to see how the story ends.
It does show the story behind underground idol stories, or whatnot. Not a big fan of it either - but it is what it is, and told interesting ways.
Certain parts reminds me of famous old Shojo manga "Mask of Glass" type of rivalry. Some good scenes and all.

Not a big fan of brother-sister incest stuff, and it's really walking on the fine line on that part... and I try not to really think about it much.
At this point, I'm just wondering what is the motive of the killer, and how will the revenge really plays out - that the story seems to be on its near final arc.

No. The show lures you in with the hopes of it being a nice murder mystery, only to turn into a bunch of idol nonsense

The show is entirely about the murder mystery and about the struggles of entertainers in various industries. In fact season 2 will be entirely about acting and building up side characters. Any singing moments will just be things mentioned in passing to show the idol group is still doing concerts.

Last edited:

Mistake

The show is entirely about the murder mystery and about the struggles of entertainers in various industries. In fact season 2 will be entirely about acting and building up side characters. Any singing moments will just be things mentioned in passing to show the idol group is still doing concerts.
The murder mystery is like 8% of the whole show. I only finished season 1 hoping it would make a comeback or have some crazy plot twist and it didn't. If OP is going for that, I say avoid it. But if OP wants a shiny show about idols, then fine

Sakura

No it is trash.
It has really good production values though.
It's technically supposed to be a murder mystery sort of thing, but 90% is just idol/show biz/etc arcs that don't really do anything to advance the main story.
The premise behind the main character as well is largely forgotten/irrelevant after the beginning, and only serves as a hook to get people to start watching/reading.

Paltheos

Not particularly but it's got some bright spots.

Some people have already mentioned problems with the show, but the biggest one is that the main character is so unlikable that he functions as a full anchor any time he's on-screen. He's a full grown man fawning after teen idols, a point the first episode calls attention to for its creepiness and then drops, and this is all ok because... he gets reincarnated as a baby (as the... child of the idol he had a not-crush on, who he continues to obsess over... whoa boy) and is now a teenager for the bulk of the show? This didn't stop feeling actively weird for several episodes and his interactions with most of the cast are poisoned for it and for how much of an edgelord this now 40 something year old man in a teenage body is (I think I only made peace with it once I accepted the rest of the show's failings).

Best parts of the show are the supporting cast, in particular the girl affectionately referred to by the community as Baking Soda (BS). She's just the right mix of jaded cynicism with a golden heart deep down and an overconfidence in her knowledge together with an underconfidence in her abilities to be endearing. She has real gap moe appeal.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It had a very strong start and then almost immediately lost me.

The issue is once the series shifts away from the original intrigue it's becomes so generic.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just chiming in to say that I haven't seen it but I plan to watch it at some point.
Now I'm running back from the thread to avoid spoilers lol.

LakeOf9

Thanks for the comments everyone. I’ve decided to give it a go and see what I think. I’ll try the first episode tonight!

LakeOf9

Saw the first episode. It was very long but fucking awesome. Went a lot of places lol.

Based on what y’all are saying the other episodes don’t live up to it? That’s a bummer because the first one just sets up an amazing story.

LakeOf9

Five episodes in.

There’s definitely a huge drop off after the first one. That one set up all these amazing plot lines that the show’s just… ignored since then.

I’ll give it one more episode but if it still doesn’t rebound a little I think I’ll be done.

Top Bottom