• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sonic Heroes as bad as people say it is?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
it's actually not. I rented it about a week ago, and it's MUCH better than I remember it being.

There's none of the mech or hunting shit like in SA2. EVERYTHING is like the sonic/shadow levels from the first two sonic adventures.

Bobety

If you already HAVE the game it can't hurt to try it out, however i strongly advise against paying for it.

Sanjuro

I tried lying to myself as I did with the Sonic Adventures again....still didnt work.

Dont get me wrong, I dont completly hate the Adventures....but if Sonic was in the ENTIRE game I would have loved it. I'm sick of side characters in Sonic. If that means banning Tails and Knuckles now too.....so be it.

belgurdo

Banned
No. I had a wonderful time with it, although it is buggy as people say (albeit not to the point that it is unplayable)

ckohler

I'm a huge Sonic game fan yet I pretty much loathed Sonic Heroes. The last good Sonic game I played was Sonic Advance 2.

Rlan

DO NOT PLAY THE PS2 VERSION, PLAY THE GC VERSION.

I quite enjoyed Heroes, although it could be MUCH better. But playing the PS2 version made me want to vomit.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
it is, unfortunately, kinda as bad as its reputation suggests. Much like the screens we're seeing of Shadow the Hedgehog suggest, it's just... so bland. Uninspired. Yeah, it's 'better' than SA2 in that all the levels are Speed Zones, but they're crap compared to the like levels in SA2. As I've remarked elsewhere, it's just Sonic Product. Sadly.

Starfire

I played the PS2 version first, hated it, then got the PC version, and my opinion has gone from: I hate it to: it's bearable, but meh. Definitely do avoid the Ps2 version though, ugh choppy framerate, unresponsive control, on top of the game's other problems, utterly bad.

If you enjoy jumping from rail to rail and getting the Game Over screen every so often because it's almost impossible to actually jump from rail to rail then you'll still hate this game.

Varian

Someday Sonic Team will make the perfect 3D Sonic game, and everyone will get what they were on about with SH and Shadow the Hedgehog.

GaimeGuy said:
EVERYTHING is like the sonic/shadow levels from the first two sonic adventures.

If everything was like the sonic/shadow levels in the two sonic adventures, then why does sonic heroes suck so much? The team-feature sucks, the controls suck, the camera sucks even more, the whole game is a mess.

I don't understand how this shit passed QA. Yuji Naka am cry.

Ryoh

It's not an exclusive game so... yeah quite bad, and Naka was not the supervisor. But the sales was high. I prefer the Adventure series.

Zeo

Banned
Don't mind the people who say it's complete garbage.

Fact is, it's completely average.

Some people might like it, but more probably won't. It had a lot of problems, but it was still playable enough for me to finish.

It isn't worth 40-50 bucks. But it's not a bad 20 dollar game or rental.

After watching my girlfriend play a good couple of sessions and listening to her complaints on Team Chaotix, I'm left with a "meh" opinion on Heroes. I've only played a few stages, myself. I want to sit down with Heroes and give it a fair shake soon, even though I'm still immensely disappointed in the drop off in presentation from Adventure 2 (which soaked up 120h of playtime on DC for me).

D-X

Infernal Monkey said:
If you enjoy jumping from rail to rail and getting the Game Over screen every so often because it's almost impossible to actually jump from rail to rail then you'll still hate this game.

True. The game doesn't really allow you to pull off tricks like in SA2 (to get A grades) because you know that you'll just fall off. Punches in power formation slide forward too much leading you to fall over the edge. The ability to change formation in the air would've solved these situations. The invisible roof limit when you fly up is annoying especially if you don't enjoy baby hopping every single obstacle. Pinball handles wrong. Constantly switching between players to smash walls gets boring after a while. Grinding is good but not fast enough. Jungle levels are enjoyable though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It had plenty of problems, but I had a good time with it. I actually made it to the real ending as well (by completely finishing all four of the stories with all of the emeralds).

It's alright, worse of the 3D Sonics though. Couldn't be bothered to play most of it however. I'd have prefered an Adventure 3 over this.

I don't think it's atrocious, but it's missing some kind of "spark". As someone said earlier, it lacks personality and seems pretty bland. If you like platformers, it may be worth taking a chance on for 10-15 dollars, but even 20 dollars is pushing it, IMO.

It's about as good as the other 3D Sonics.

That is to say, not very.

So, if you enjoyed the action elements of the first two Sonic Adventure titles, there's a 50/50 chance you'll find this game enjoyable.

So, if I did my math correctly, there's a 25% chance you'll like this game.

I say give it a try. Why the hell not, you can get a copy for $15 nowadays. And anyways, there are few better character-based platformers out there, in my personal opinion.

Zeo

Banned
Instigator said:
The shame with it is that some of the levels are pretty good. It's just that gimmicky gameplay that ruins it.

Stop with the word gimmick people. You throw it out in very lame situations.

The gameplay wasn't gimmicky at all. It was a great idea that was poorly implemented.

Zeo said:
Stop with the word gimmick people. You throw it out in very lame situations.

The gameplay wasn't gimmicky at all. It was a great idea that was poorly implemented.

Your reply is kinda gimmicky too.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
It's the only game I've ever traded in! But before which I did play through it all an got the emeralds and the proper ending. WHICH STUNK. -_-!! Seriously I am sick of
Eggman being built up as the enemy but then not really being the enemy.
But that does explain the absolutely horrible baddie designs and especially the bosses~ugh! If people hate SA1 that's fine but to date its the most traditional Sonic in 3D character & enemy design-wise and its the only one with good bosses. Heroes could have been good level wise if they'd been cut in half. Once ya reach a certain point in each level the place literally repeats itself from types of jumps to which formations you need to be in and so on. Its like they were made just to make the game longer then it needed ta be. Rent it and then forget it.

jman2050

As a rabid sonic fanboy with 50 hours on SA and 150 hours on SA2 (all emblems for both respectively), I can say without a doubt that Sonic Heroes is at best, average, and in the worst case, complete and utter garbage. ANd I didn't even quit halfway through. I completed all 4 stories, as well as the Super Sonic level, and got about 80 emblems before I finally said to myself "you know what, no amount of extraneous playing is going to make me suddenly like this game. Why did I even bother?" Haven't touched it in months.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
it's much better than either of the sonic adventure games. in that it consists entirely of "sonic" stages, and in that these stages are better designed than their sonic adventure counterparts. the boss battles are really poor, though. and i couldn't be bothered playing it through with all four teams.

Future

Every level is not like the Sonic/Shadow stuff in the old games, because they are all broken up. Sure, you are running around in each level unlike the mech and find the emerald shit in the other games. But in Sonic Heroes you'll be speeding along only to constantly be stopped by random obstacles where you gotta switch team formations on the fly and do other shit. I found the SonicAdv1/2 sonic levels much more enjoyable.

It would almost be cool if changing formations were part of puzzles and you had to figure out when to do it, but each time you do you'll get your intelligence insulted by some bullshit VO like "this is a job for knuckles!!" or whatever. So it becomes just a tedious task everytime you have to do it

Add to this frustration the bad bosses and the shoddy control that will have you diving off cliffs more than you think you should, you got yourself a bad game by classic Sonic standards. Not a terrible game, but so average that you wish Sonic wasn't in it.

...And, energy bars. The little weaksauce enemies had energy bars. What the hell was that about? :(

jman2050 said:
As a rabid sonic fanboy with 50 hours on SA and 150 hours on SA2 (all emblems for both respectively), I can say without a doubt that Sonic Heroes is at best, average, and in the worst case, complete and utter garbage. ANd I didn't even quit halfway through. I completed all 4 stories, as well as the Super Sonic level, and got about 80 emblems before I finally said to myself "you know what, no amount of extraneous playing is going to make me suddenly like this game. Why did I even bother?" Haven't touched it in months.

Listen to this man... of the "j"... from the year 2050. And, damn... 150h is pretty much what my GC and DC combined time was for Adventure 2 as well. Damn those adorable Chao.

Oh, and NO CHAO. Sonic Heroes, why do you make me hate you so? :(

I can't get through the tutorial because it keeps crashing or I keep going through a floor. A friend told me that I'd regret buying it. Well he was correct.

Yes, this game is very buggy. I have gotten so many cheap deaths on this game it's not even funny. It sucked when you died and got your score erased. The Emerald stages were so incredibly cheap and it was incredibly hard to see balloons and bombs coming up. Looking back, I can't believe I managed to get 100 Emblems.

TheDiave

Banned
I didn't think it was that bad, although my experience is based solely on the demo they had in GameCube kiosks for a little while.

i couldnt get thru half the level on the Mario Kart Demo Disk version. I didnt know it was possibly to become bored with a game 2 minutes after starting it up. No exaggeration, it is the most unthrilling title ive ever played. COMPLETE shit.

And to think people were upset when they heard this title wouldnt be gc exclusive

Top Bottom