• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the battle system in Paper Mario: The Origami King that bad?

hemo memo

Gold Member
I found the game discounted on Amazon.sa and I want to buy it but reviews on the game confused me more on my decision.

1. The time limit on battles? I don’t want to be pressured.
2. Enemy variety and random battles. Does it become very repetitive really fast? As from my understanding no leveling system in the game.
3. In general do you recommend the game?

Thank you in advance.

Like every game in the series since Super Paper Mario in 2007, if you loved the first two games because they were full-on RPGs, you will be horrified to see what the series has turned into.

I’ve played every game in the series, because I’m a glutton for punishment. The graphics and humor and level design in the newer games are fun. So as long as you go in knowing they’ve stripped out all traces of what made the first two such great RPGs, you’ll be fine.

Out of the non-RPG Paper Mario games, Color Splash is the best imho. Some truly great levels in that game. Imagine if it was an actual RPG!

If you are expecting a full-on proper follow-up to TTYD, get in line behind me and just keep hoping.

Origami King has yet another new take on the now-standard Paper Mario style of “turn-based battles without RPG elements”. It honestly just gets a little boring and tedious after a while. Sliding the circle around, lining enemies up. But I will say Origami King has great boss battles. I won’t spoil them but they are clever and fun, given the limitations modern Paper Mario games have imposed on them.

Like all non-RPG Paper Mario games, Origami King has the basic core/ fundamental design flaw of the battles not mattering much at all, because there is no character progression or experience.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
It really is a lousy battle system, I wish Nintendo would stop fucking with the battle system and just give us the old tried and true system from Thousand Year door, they're not reinventing the wheel, they're adding edges to it and making it a shape that doesn't work.

The boss battles are especially shitty in it, RNG in a boss battle is annoying.

Also as stated, there's no reason to do the fights, it's very easy in RPGs to make a reason to fight(xp) I'm not sure why Nintendo is allergic to good fight mechanics for the Paper series.

Sticker Star fucking awful, whatever for the WiiU I skipped but awful, Origami better than sticker star but still awful.

UnNamed

Banned
Yes, pretty boring with a limited number of combinations too. At some point you have so many coins you can't spend so you use them to make auto combats.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Flawed battle system. It does get repetitive.

But the graphics, art design and general charming vibe are pretty amazing. If it's on sale you could do a lot worse.
It is on sale for 48$. Still a lot that’s why I want to make sure.

Last edited:
got about 6 hours in before i lost motivation to continue. I hate It

I have no clue why nintendo always takes out the rpg elements out of the sequel of their games that people like for the rpg elements. Same thing happened with mario rabbids

Synless

Best Buy was selling it for $25 for weeks… maybe telling, maybe not. I bought it at that price, but it’s still wrapped.

Origami King is the best of the post-Sticker Star games, for sure. I genuinely enjoyed the humor and characters, and I remember the field adventuring also being fun. The puzzle battle system is much more engaging and less potentially annoying than the card system from Sticker Star and Color Splash (the latter game in general at least had presentation and humor to back it up, so I still had fun with it).

Unfortunately... yeah, the same problem of battles sometimes just not being worth starting at all crops up. There's also a lot of simple, reused battle formations early on. Overall they were fun though, and I do remember the coins you receive being used utilized better. For example, you could use them for hints in more complex battles, and there were a number of times I definitely needed those wheeze

Honestly, I'm super cool with the current direction they're going, since it's been such a glow up since SS. Literally all I want from the next entry is to actually make battles 100% totally worth it again. Like... y'know, just let me level up every once in a while and raise my attack and defense or something...

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I got it for my son the year it came out and he dropped it pretty quick because he hate the battle system. He finally started it up again a few weeks ago but I think he dropped it again. Sucks because I love the look of it

TexMex

Not as bad as advertised but not great either. Origami is the most frustrating in the series for me because the presentation, visuals, music - it’s all so on point. But their absolute refusal to just make a logical progression for PM/TTYD is so frustrating.

LordCBH

Nintendo fucking ruined Paper Mario after the amazing first two games. There was zero reason for them to change from RPG’s to the abominations they made after. ZERO!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The combat is flawed but man the art direction game was really on point.
I’ve bought Sparks of Hope instead. Thank you all.
Good choice, I really enjoyed that game and cant wait for DLC, the original game really fun DLCs.

Last edited:

lillars

Not sure about Origami King, but Sticker Star was absolutely awful. That was the last one I played for better or worse.

Top Bottom