• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Orville any good?

Blade2.0

I enjoy Star trek and other sci-fi like it. I've heard season 1 was pretty shitty but season 2 was pretty good. So what's your consensus, GAF?

If you want a homage to 90s Star Trek with shoehorned Seth McFarlane humor, you'll like it.

If you want a Star Trek comedy, Lower Decks is 10,000x smarter with some amazing deep pulls from Star Trek canon (and it's TNG era, just a year after Nemesis).
After you hyping S3 of Discovery it's hard for me to take your opinion on Trek serious anymore, mate...

Tranquil

Good show.

It's what I wanted Discovery to be, minus the humor, well maybe a little sprinkling of humor, star trek has always had that.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Love the Orville. I prefer extra buttery.

51Tyi2YCOIL._AC_.jpg

I've been slowly struggling my way through the first season. I'm up to episode six. The levity is just atrocious, and Seth MacFarlane is far better as a voice actor and should probably have stayed as one... It has its moment, and I hear it does become more like The Next Generation.

Then again, I've also heard people complain that swathes of season two are relegated to worthless interpersonal drama. I suppose I'll find out.

Davey Cakes

I only got into it in the last couple months, but finished the two seasons rather quickly. Really enjoyed it.

Upon reflection, the show does pretty much just repackage Star Trek content, but I don't mind that. It's solid comfort television that does enough to capture the feel of 90's space operas. One of my favorite episodes is "Majority Rule" since it's more like Star Trek x Black Mirror and unapologetically on-the-nose about cancel culture.

Don't judge it based on the pilot, though. The show goes from a parody to straight-up lighthearted TNG. Some of the episodes are serious in tone, where the first couple episodes of the show are really joke-y.

The cast isn't bad, either. Seth as the captain works. The crew members have decent chemistry. The weak link is definitely J. Lee since he couldn't act his way out of a paper bag.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

It’s great Star Trek while real Star Trek sucks ass. I was skeptical at first but it does turn the dial more towards a light hearted TNG.

H4ze

The Orville is one of the best shows we have atm imo.
I am watchting it right now too, am on the second season now.
Absolutely great, it has a lot of that Scrubs-feeling to me, very lovely.

Fbh

I just started watching it some weeks ago, I'm almost done with S1. So far I really like it.
I haven't watched that much star trek but to me it really seems to capture the style (way more so than something like Discovery), and it works great as a more light hearted homage.

So far I really like the cast, and the episodes have been quite varied and enjoyable. It's kinda funny how several episode sort of feel relevant to current topics like the one with the baby girl they want to turn into a boy and the one that was basically about a whole society built around cancel culture.

The only hit or miss part to me is the humor, specially in some of the earlier episodes. There's some good jokes here and there but it can often feel forced. The constant pop culture references also feel out of place, it's just weird having a show set hundreds of years into the future with everyone referencing stuff from the 80's and 90's.

But overall really enjoyable!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
After you hyping S3 of Discovery it's hard for me to take your opinion on Trek serious anymore, mate...

I actually started to watch S3 of the show... I actually found it engaging! Reminded me of a mix of TOS and TNG when on the ship. And first episode was pretty sweet. Reminded me of raw DS9

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
It's good. I am not a fan of Seth McFarlane humor, if it dialled down and gets somewhat serious the quality improves drastically.
The concept of Star Trek reboot without the New-Trek shite is by itself a great idea.

Top Bottom