• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the PS2 supposed to play burned video DVDs?

Gattsu25

Banned
...because I think mine (launch era) is broken. I was under the impression that the PS2 didn't support DVD+Rs...but mine plays them perfectly...is it supposed to play them?

If it isn't...does this mean my PS2 may be entering into it's final days and choosing to show its impending death in a positive light? (err...)

BTW: those 2 new Shadow of the Colossus gameplay vids on my TV = :O

yeah it does, i remember back in the day a friend of mine played a bootleg copy of a jamaican movie called 'shottas' he bought in the street on his PS2... it had some trouble reading it properly though, then we tried it on my xbox and it ran fine... i laughed at him...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think only the newer ones. Flip top definitely, but I also think some of the fat ones did too - around the time they did the network bundle.

They started putting DVD+R etc on the packaging, so I guess they added the capability (or just decided to point it out to people?)

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
No...I'm pretty sure even the launch ones could do it. My friends's can and his is a launch model.

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
They play them, but they'll often stutter and lock up, and that's sometimes only noticeable later on in a movie or something of that length. Only on the later model PS2s was it properly supported, where you don't have any stuttering or freezing.

Flynn

pjberri said:
They play them, but they'll often stutter and lock up, and that's sometimes only noticeable later on in a movie or something of that length. Only on the later model PS2s was it properly supported, where you don't have any stuttering or freezing.

That's my experience. Most DVD burns won't play to the end.

gblues

Banned
PSTwo has the DVD+R logo on the box, and it's played anything I've personally burned.

I had an old Audiovox DVD player that would kinda play DVD+R, but if I tried to encode using VBR, I'd get the stuttering problems you guys describe. I found that if I used CBR to encode my video, it worked (or at least stuttered less).

Nathan

bud

Wakune said:
...because I think mine (launch era) is broken. I was under the impression that the PS2 didn't support DVD+Rs...but mine plays them perfectly...is it supposed to play them?

If it isn't...does this mean my PS2 may be entering into it's final days and choosing to show its impending death in a positive light? (err...)

BTW: those 2 new Shadow of the Colossus gameplay vids on my TV = :O

I found out a week ago. :lol

Yusaku

Fun fact. When I got my PStwo is said it can't play DVD-Rs in progressive scan, but it plays all my DVD-Rs progressively just fine.

garrickk

My launch PS2 and new PSTwo play DVD-R and DVD-RW just fine.

My new PSTwo plays DVD+R just fine, but I'm not sure if I've test a +R on my launch machine.

Niether machine like DVD+RW. The PSTwo will play the DVD+RW, but the play back occasionally shudders.

I have to open up my launch PS2 every 6 months and wipe off the lense with a Q-tip and isoproply alcohol - after that it's as good as new for another 5-6 months.

Top Bottom