• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the switch lite worth it?

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
This, i Would have bought one long time as i find them used for very cheap prices everywhere. but sooner or later it will have a drift in the control and then you are fucked till you either fix it your self ( which is almost very hard ) or send it to Nintendo every now and then.

Otherwise, from a form factor and perfect Dpad (unlike the regular switch), it would have been perfect.
I bought a 2 year warranty from GameStop for $35, they said they'll fix my joysticks if they drift/break.
You can’t play Super Mario Party with a Switch Lite. That is the ultimate dealbreaker
Have you heard of Mario Party Superstars?

//DEVIL//

I bought a 2 year warranty from GameStop for $35, they said they'll fix my joysticks if they drift/break.

yes. that is the smart thing to do. But the hassle of you sending it. wait for it to be fixed and returned back, or them scratching the screen or the body ( i am so OCD about shit like this ). its totally not worth the hassle for me.

I am just going to wait on the Switch PRo. I love DLSS and I want this technology everywhere ( its the reason i switch from AMD to Nvidia even ).

Karmic Raze

I’m just going to wait for the Switch Pro. The Lite and OG Switch don’t offer a high enough video fidelity for me to enjoy the games right now. I’d say you should do the same if you’re going to be a picky mofo like me, but maybe you’d like the Switch Lite. I personally didn’t.

The Switch is an amazing console with shite controls. You can buy yourself a can of wd-40 and fix them in under 5 minutes without even leaving your home (that's what I did), but that's apparently a huge mess if you own a Switch Lite. There's still a slim chance the Switch Pro comes out this year (I don't personally believe so, but eh), so you could wait a bit if you're not in a hurry to get one.

Trimesh

Banned
I would go with the regular Switch, for two reasons:

- joycons drift
- no TV output

I really don't understand why Nintendo decided to disable it instead of letting people buy a separate dock and additional controllers.

I do. Firstly losing the HDMI output means you don't have to pay HDMI licensing fees - secondly eliminating the docked mode means that you can use smaller power supplies and cooling since the main CPU is only ever going to be running at the portable power level an that means you can use more of the available internal volume of the unit for batteries. It also means you can eliminate the HDMI retimer/switch IC, which is a fairly expensive part.

It all makes perfect engineering sense to me, and from a marketing point of view it creates a very clear distinction between the units.

Havoc2049

I've had a Switch Lite since launch and haven't had any problems with stick drift. I enjoy handheld gaming, so I was geeked for the Lite. The Switch isn't my main gaming platform, so I probably don't put the sticks to the test like a hardcore user would. BTW, you can pair joy-cons and the pro controller to the Lite.

tsumake

The Switch is an amazing console with shite controls. You can buy yourself a can of wd-40 and fix them in under 5 minutes without even leaving your home (that's what I did), but that's apparently a huge mess if you own a Switch Lite. There's still a slim chance the Switch Pro comes out this year (I don't personally believe so, but eh), so you could wait a bit if you're not in a hurry to get one.

Did you use contact cleaner or regular WD 40?

Cutty Flam

Banned
255px-C021DB84-AABA-47E9-8B5E-2471E1728FEB.png

DonF

Gold Member
Not worth it. Wait. If there is indeed a switch pro, maybe the other models will get a price cut (hardly cause it's Nintendo)

lachesis

If you are only playing portable, yes. My daughter only plays on portable mode with her regular switch.

I seriously can't though. I would have to be wearing reading glasses to see what's going on. She's been playing Hades for quite extensively recently - I can't even tell what's going on with such tiny character.

arvfab

Banned
I do. Firstly losing the HDMI output means you don't have to pay HDMI licensing fees - secondly eliminating the docked mode means that you can use smaller power supplies and cooling since the main CPU is only ever going to be running at the portable power level an that means you can use more of the available internal volume of the unit for batteries. It also means you can eliminate the HDMI retimer/switch IC, which is a fairly expensive part.

It all makes perfect engineering sense to me, and from a marketing point of view it creates a very clear distinction between the units.

Well, I've learned something new. Thanks.
Especially the CPU part sounds reasonable, also due to the smaller form.

Fluo

I've had one for a year, it's still good and I'm enjoying it. Super comfy for most types of games.
The only issue I've had is when playing button masher types of games, especially Bayonetta, my thumb joint starts aching after 30 min or so.

Sw0pDiller

I have a PS5 (costed an arm and a leg tho) and i dont want to miss out on nintendo stuff this gen, i know about the pro rumors but that thing is gonna be costly and hard to find too whenever it comes out
So i ask, is the lite a good buy at this point?
i was in the same postion last weak. Bought a lite including 3d world and a case for 175 euro used. great deal IMO. but... i dont really play it, i allready own a PS5 and when i have to choose between playing indie shit on the small screen or a couple of rounds destiny 2 on my ps5 with mates... it's a no brainer. It doesn't help that is allready own (and played) all of the real "switch" gems on my wii-u. cant even get exited about the next zelda remaster cus i played the VC version on wii-u.

so no, dont buy it when you allready have a PS5. nothing to get exited about. Battery life is crazy short. no new games to play.... (for me)

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I would advise not getting the Lite unless that is your only options. The Switch(big brother) is the far better value to buy. Docking (lol) is one big advantage but also you can detach the joy-con for two player games rather then having to buy more controllers. So don't just go Lite and limit your options. Also the Switch screen is bigger then the lite and if you seen BOTW played on the Switch in portable mode you will understand why having the Docked options is the biggest reason.

Daymos

Sometimes it's hard to read the text or see stuff in game .. being able to hook into the tv at those times is important.

A switch lite with a satisfye grip is ultra light and comfortable though, definitely my favorite portable system of all time and the BEST way to play NES, SNES, the final fantasy PS1 games, and several others.

Birdo

Banned
People saying "No, because of Joycon drift", but they have sold millions of these things. You'd think there would be a bigger fuss if Drift was such a big problem.

I see far more people worrying about it, than people who actually encountered it (It's like Covid of the game word).

It's a great device if you think you'll never want to play games on a big screen and don't mind having less battery life.

2017 Switch has 2.5 - 6.5 hours (3 hours of BOTW)
Switch Lite has 3 - 7 hours (4 hours of BOTW)
2019 Switch has 4.5 - 9 hours (5.5 hours of BOTW)

In the unlikely situation you get drifting Nintendo will fix it for you. For what ever it's worth my Switch I got in April 2017 doesn't have any drifting to this very day. My friend who has had a Lite since they first came out doesn't have any drifting on his and yeah I've actually played on it.

Last edited:

scydrex

People saying "No, because of Joycon drift", but they have sold millions of these things. You'd think there would be a bigger fuss if Drift was such a big problem.

I see far more people worrying about it, than people who actually encountered it (It's like Covid of the game word).
Maybe is not a big problem but a friend has a Switch and it had problems with joy drift. Nobody knows if the one the OP will buy will have drift maybe yes or maybe no.

Edit: I looked at the Amazon reviews on Amazon and some people had problems with joy drift. Taking the amount of reviews and the people who had problems it´s not a big problem.

Last edited:

Josemayuste

Nope, if you find yourself with joy-con drift, you're stuck with it, and would likely need to replace the entire console or repair it; meanwhile on a standard Switch you just buy new joy-cons.

I was doubting on buying a Lite or a Standard model (2019 one, longer battery), and this was a crucial point on making a decision.

cHaOs667

That totally depends on your taste of games. I've bought one for my wife, so she can play Zelda and Monster Hunter: Rise etc. but beside the Switch exclusives there is zero she, and I, want to play on the Switch.

Every game port is better on any other console (even on the OG X1), the online services are a joke as well the store is unorganized and hard to navigate.

A blatant joke is the screen brightness, as the screen is only usable if you find a spot that's covered by a shadow and the sun does not shine that bright.

GametimeUK

The fact that the memory is so small and joycon drift is still a thing I'd much rather pay the extra to have a dock, the ability to swap joycons myself and have a bigger internal storage.

That's just my take on it and other people are different. The Switch Lite feels much better in hand as a handheld device, but it isn't enough to sway my opinion.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
The fact that the memory is so small and joycon drift is still a thing I'd much rather pay the extra to have a dock, the ability to swap joycons myself and have a bigger internal storage.

That's just my take on it and other people are different. The Switch Lite feels much better in hand as a handheld device, but it isn't enough to sway my opinion.
I have 512GB in my Lite. Internal storage isn't really an issue.

Hustler

From a form factor standpoint? Yes if you play handheld alot.
From a technical standpoint? No. Much more susceptible to joycon drift, Nintendo won't fix it for free like individual joycons. It's not a terrible repair, but it still sucks. And no way to play on the tv.

I don't mind buying it for my kids, but if I have a choice I always go with the OG switch.

Mr Moose

No, it doesn't Switch.
Get the normal Switch or wait for the Pro.
The games aren't going anywhere, and the prices will make you think the games have just been released when you get one :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:
If you like portable gaming, yes.

Soon I will buy a Lite too. I do not even know where my dock is at the moment...

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I have a PS5 (costed an arm and a leg tho) and i dont want to miss out on nintendo stuff this gen, i know about the pro rumors but that thing is gonna be costly and hard to find too whenever it comes out
So i ask, is the lite a good buy at this point?
My answer

Nintendo Switch Normal = awesome console and one of the Best of Nintendo

Nintendo Switch lite = piece of crap... Avoid it

Top Bottom