• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is This Fall Better Than Last?

akascream

Banned
Xbox360, Oblivion, Zelda, DQ8, Vanguard, AW:DS, Battalion Wars, Fire Emblem, Prince of Persia 3, BF2:MC, Castlevania:DoS, Ultimate Spiderman, Mario Kart DS, FF3 DS, omg what am I missing?

EDIT: damn smilies heh

akascream

Banned
Wyzdom said:
I really doubt this year can top 2004 for me. 1994 and 2004 were the best gaming years ever so far to me.

Yeah, 2k4 was awesome, but this year is looking pretty hot. Xbox360 and Zelda alone top 2k4 for me.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Bebpo said:
Probably not. Topping MGS3/Half-life2/Halo2/RE4 is gonna be pretty near impossible.

if I have 10yen for everytime I heard a year couldn't be topped I'd have a lot more beer in the house...

Bebpo

Banned
Blackace said:
if I have 10yen for everytime I heard a year couldn't be topped I'd have a lot more beer in the house...

I dunno; I always find it hard to top a MGS year until the next MGS comes out :p

Even if Japan gets FFXII and it's the best thing ever, I still don't think that would outdo MGS3+RE4 IMO.

jarrod

Banned
-Twilight Princess
-Dragon Quest VIII
-Shadow of the Colossus
-Xbox 360
-tons of AAA DS games

...no contest. 2005 simply kills 2004.

Ranger X

akascream said:
Yeah, 2k4 was awesome, but this year is looking pretty hot. Xbox360 and Zelda alone top 2k4 for me.

Yeah the exitement from buying a new console is indeed like Gold. I may be less excited than you because i'm actually not planning to buy any next-gen consoles until somewhat 2007.

Bebpo

Banned
Bacon said:
RE4 didn't come out in the Fall.

Neither did any of the other big games of 2004. So I guess the answer to the OP is that of course 2005 fall will be better than 2004 fall. But 2005 winter might not be as nice as 2004 winter.

As a Nintendo fan, it completely kills 2004's fall lineup thanks to the DS, Fire Emblem, and Zelda. Still, Half-Life 2 made last fall's lineup awesome as well. Overall, though, I'd consider 2004 > 2005 since this summer has been much weaker than last summer's lineup.

akascream

Banned
Bebpo said:
Neither did any of the other big games of 2004. So I guess the answer to the OP is that of course 2005 fall will be better than 2004 fall. But 2005 winter might not be as nice as 2004 winter.

I mean the whole fall/holiday season, maybe even august. You guys know what I mean, that whole holiday window. No need to split hairs over release dates. =P

jarrod

Banned
Bebpo said:
I dunno; I always find it hard to top a MGS year until the next MGS comes out :p

Even if Japan gets FFXII and it's the best thing ever, I still don't think that would outdo MGS3+RE4 IMO.
So what? We get better versions of both RE4 and MGS3 this year. :p

Solid

Prince of Persia 3
Pro Evolution Soccer 5
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Resident Evil 4
Shadow of The Colossus
Soul Calibur III

05 > 04 :D

Prospero

Personally, I can't see anything on the current release schedules that would top my '04/early '05 streak of Phantom Brave, followed by Katamari Damacy, followed by SMT: Nocturne, followed by Shadow Hearts: Covenant. Other than Zelda, the various franchise sequels just don't excite me this time out, and I've yet to purchase many of the major '04 releases anyway (including RE4). So Fall '05 will pretty much be a non-event for me.

On the other hand, this might be the year I buy a DS, if only for Advance Wars, that crazy attorney game, and that crazy surgery game (assuming the last two actually make it out in the fall).

pringles

Zelda:TP and X360 launch with TES:Oblivion beats any fall ever.
I just hope that Zelda: TP lives up to the expectations, I don't want another Halo2 type of thing.

Zeo

Banned
Solid said:
Prince of Persia 3
Pro Evolution Soccer 5
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Resident Evil 4
Shadow of The Colossus
Soul Calibur III

05 > 04 :D

Why are you counting an inferior port, rerlease of a year old game, and Warrior Within 2 as the best games of the fall? :\ That doesn't make it nearly as good as last year.

But yeah, as far as popularity goes, it won't touch last fall. But I'm personally more excited to games this fall (thanks to the DS/PS2/GC lineups) than I was last year, with the disappointing Prime 2, lame Halo 2, and GTA:SA got tiring kind of quickly. (MGS3 was the only game that I thought lived up to and surpassed the hype.)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The ONLY game that will truly make this a great fall is Shadow of The Colossus. 2004 was one of the best gaming falls we've had in a LONG time. It will not be topped for years to come...

Zeo

Banned
dark10x said:
The ONLY game that will truly make this a great fall is Shadow of The Colossus. 2004 was one of the best gaming falls we've had in a LONG time. It will not be topped for years to come...

You apparently haven't seen Zelda, Phantasy Star Online, Castlevania DS, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Kingdom Hearts 2...

Tarazet

As an Xbox owner, I don't have much to look forward to on my current system...

...but the 360 has me shivering with anticipation. And my wallet is cowering.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
this fall does nothing for me

xbox is pretty much dead

the upcoming gc games actually don't interest me (yes, i know zelda is coming out)

PS2 games...guitar hero looks quite nice

I can't even remember any *new* games I bought in late 2004, if any.

And I can tell you I'll be picking up at least 6 new Nintendo DS games(along with a Nintendo DS), the new Zelda, the new Dragon Warrior, Sonic Gems, and possibly an Xbox 360.

So, yeah, 2005 is not only better than 2004 was, but it completely decimates it in every way fathomable.

At least, in this man's opinion.

Vark

I get to take a vacation after ship and actually play the games that come out this year.. so I'd have to yes.

One of my favorite games last year was Spider-Man 2, thanks to them finally nailing the web-swinging. This year we get Ultimate Spider-Man and a free-roaming Hulk game in the same spirit!

That's on top of what other people have mentioned--Shadow of the Colossus, a new Prince of Persia (which might not suck), Zelda Twilight Princess, a new Katamari game, and a whole slew of great DS games.

Yeah, that tops last year's Half-Life/Halo/Metroid Prime 2, etc lineup. The DS library puts it over the top. And I haven't even mentioned the X360 launch.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Zeo said:
You apparently haven't seen Zelda, Phantasy Star Online, Castlevania DS, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Kingdom Hearts 2...

Sure I have, and they will all be great (though KH2 can burn after the first one...).

However, it takes a special game to truly excite me...and SotC is the only one doing it this fall. I am chomping at the bit to play it.

Oh, and if August is considered Fall, I'm also pumped for Grandia III. :p

akascream

Banned
Lil' Dice said:
360>>>>>>>>>>>everything else

Tell me about it. Something about a new console that is just exciting for me. What really rocks this time around is it doesn't looke like 2 consoles will launch at the same time. Xbox and GCN in the same holiday season was like having your birthday near christmas. The exitement kinda gets combined.

Zeo

Banned
dark10x said:
Sure I have, and they will all be great (though KH2 can burn after the first one...).

However, it takes a special game to truly excite me...and SotC is the only one doing it this fall. I am chomping at the bit to play it.

Oh, and if August is considered Fall, I'm also pumped for Grandia III. :p

Uh, Grandia III isn't in the US in August. I'm pretty sure this thread is about fall American games, hence us comparing it to last year...

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Although I'm pretty excited about this fall I really can't think that it can top what I bought last fall. Halo2, MGS3, Halflife 2, GTASA, Metroid Prime 2.

Tough call. Every year is usually better than the last. But Halo2 alone pretty much beats everything for my gaming pleasure.

Can't wait for the new Zelda and Xbox360 though. Fall can't come soon enough.

Pimpbaa

360 will easily make this year better than last for me. My DS getting more use this fall is a plus as well. WoW is the only game from last year I still enjoy to play.

_Angelus_

Banned
This generation has been like a blur. I don't even remember what came out last fall,let alone all the heavy hitters that are coming later this year,except for a select few I've been keeping my eyes on.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Halo 2, Half-Life 2, WoW, GTA: SA, MGS 3, MP2

I doubt there will be as many games of this quality this fall...

Rhindle

Personally, there's more stuff this fall I'm looking forward to.

But in terms of market impact, there's nothing even remotely close to the GTA:SA/Halo2 double-whammy this year.

jiggle

Last fall had Shadow Hearts Covenant
This fall will have DQVIII and Radiata Stories.

Tough choice. It would be easier if KH2 or FFXII somehow gets released in NA near the end...

Top Bottom