• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Turok Evolution really that bad?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It seems that everyone bashed the crap out of it, but when it came out I played it at EB and it seemed pretty cool. Did people just bash it because it's cool to not like Turok? Or was it because it doesn't have a million gizmos and features to fool you into thinking it's doing something new?

I dunno, I see you can get it for less than $10 now, so I was thinking about getting it. I read a few reviews and they say it's big problem is that it's just a straightforward FPS with nothing really new. That I wouldn't have a problem with, cause if I get Turok it'd be because I want to go through the jungle and shoot dinosaurs with cool weapons.

Anyone know?

Nintendo should buy this ip if Acclaim ends up falling.....i've read that many ex- turok team members are at Retro now......

Yea, this board gets a bit outta hand with callin every game a piece of crap that isnt a AAA title. Turok isn't that bad, I mean it's just Turok with better graphics. If you don't expect more than that then you'll probably have some fun.

SFA_AOK

I picked it up for silly money on GC and was not impressed. I liked 1, thought 2 was better and enjoyed the last game on the N64 (not the multiplayer one, the 4th game, 3rd "proper" game).

Played a few levels and got bored, there's better FPS games out there so you shouldn't waste your time with this one...

Gregory

Banned
Turok: Evolution Xbox 69.5%
Turok: Evolution PlayStation 2 64.4%
Turok: Evolution GameCube 69.6%

Gamerankings scores.

I pretty much agree with the scores it got, it`s just very average. I lost interest after 3-4 levels.
But for 10 bucks.. any game is worth 10 bucks.

robochimp

Bluemercury said:
Nintendo should buy this ip if Acclaim ends up falling.....i've read that many ex- turok team members are at Retro now......

Metroid Prime felt like the game Turok was trying to be

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
happyfunball said:
Yea, this board gets a bit outta hand with callin every game a piece of crap that isnt a AAA title. Turok isn't that bad, I mean it's just Turok with better graphics. If you don't expect more than that then you'll probably have some fun.

No, it most certainly IS NOT Turok with "better graphics". I have replayed Turok 1 within the last six months and, quite frankly, it has more in common with Metroid Prime than Turok Evolution (though, obviously, it predates both). Turok 1 is an exploration action/adventure title.

Turok Evolution plays nothing like Turok 1. Heck, Turok 1 actually has superior animation and effects if you simply want to look at the visual side of things.

IIRC, several people that worked on Turok 1 and 2 ended at Retro Studios to work on Metroid Prime. So, if you think Metroid Prime was the game Turok 1 was trying to be (assuming you were referring to Turok 1 and not Evo), it makes a bit more sense when considering this. Now, Evolution has virtually nothing in common with either of those titles and is more of a straightforward FPS.

Turok Evolution is NOT a good game. It isn't quite as awful as many make it out to be, but it sure as hell is not a good successor to the original game. Turok 1 is still a good game, even by today's standards. Evolution was dated immediately upon release...

dark10x said:
No, it most certainly IS NOT Turok with "better graphics". I have replayed Turok 1 within the last six months and, quite frankly, it has more in common with Metroid Prime than Turok Evolution (though, obviously, it predates both). Turok 1 is an exploration action/adventure title.

Turok Evolution plays nothing like Turok 1. Heck, Turok 1 actually has superior animation and effects if you simply want to look at the visual side of things.

IIRC, several people that worked on Turok 1 and 2 ended at Retro Studios to work on Metroid Prime. So, if you think Metroid Prime was the game Turok 1 was trying to be (assuming you were referring to Turok 1 and not Evo), it makes a bit more sense when considering this. Now, Evolution has virtually nothing in common with either of those titles and is more of a straightforward FPS.

Turok Evolution is NOT a good game. It isn't quite as awful as many make it out to be, but it sure as hell is not a good successor to the original game. Turok 1 is still a good game, even by today's standards. Evolution was dated immediately upon release...

That's why i said that if Acclaim ends up falling Nintendo should snatch the turok ip because its very associated with Nintendo platforms, buy it and give it to Retro........who own the rights?its acclaim right?

dark10x

Bluemercury said:
That's why i said that if Acclaim ends up falling Nintendo should snatch the turok ip because its very associated with Nintendo platforms, buy it and give it to Retro........who own the rights?its acclaim right?

Yeah, I agree...

I would love to see Retro work on a new Turok game. The world is actually kind of cool, to tell you the truth, and I would LOVE to see what Retro could do with it.

Sander

dark10x, did you by any chance replay Turok 1 on your PC? I've been looking for a working Glidewrapper so I can play it again, but no luck so far. Maybe I should reinstall my ol' trusty Diamond Monster 3D instead, woo!

ge-man

dark10x said:

IAWTP

I also agree that Nintendo would do good to get the Turok license for Retro. I'm still quite fond of first two N64 games--they were ahead of their time considering the things that dark mentioned in his post.

luxsol

Does Acclaim still publish comic books? X-O Manowar (however its spelt)? Ninjak? Turok??? Or is every Valiant/Acclaim comic dead now?

dark10x

Sander said:
dark10x, did you by any chance replay Turok 1 on your PC? I've been looking for a working Glidewrapper so I can play it again, but no luck so far. Maybe I should reinstall my ol' trusty Diamond Monster 3D instead, woo!

Yep. I purchased the game for PC when it was released.

I did not, however, use a Glide wrapper. Rather, I simply chose Direct3D mode and used that instead. It looked nearly perfect (with only a very small sky glitch involving fog). I'd say it was 98% perfect. Plus, I could use 6x AA and 16x AF to make the image very clean looking.

Sander

Thanks, I had no idea there was a D3D version, thought it was one of those Glide only games. I played it on N64 first btw, then later on PC. Lovely game :)

COCKLES

being watched
It's not terrible.

It's just....very average.

Has some nice graphics in places and weapons like the flame thrower look superb - just kinda falls apart after 3rd or 4th level into genericville.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I don't see why the game gets all of this hate. I really enjoyed the single player game. It's got action, platforming, stealth, and a wide variety of challenging levels, not to mention great graphics and creative weapons. There are some levels I'll pop the game in for just to play again. I'll even go so far as to say I think this is the best single player FPS out on GCN. Metroid is actually a good game to compare it to, because Turok has a lot of the first person adventure feel to it as well. If you liked Metroid Prime, you'll like this game. It's not as polished as Metroid, but it's still fun to play. I would say it's multiplayer version is average, with clunky animation, and standard 4-player deathmatch, however, there are a few good arenas that are fun and help make up for those flaws. To me, Turok has always lacked in the multiplayer department and shined in the single player. For the price it's going at now ($10 at most places), you really can't go wrong.

Top Bottom