• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is ZoneAlarm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
nomoment said:
Also, I'm hearing complaints about the newest version. Can anybody address this?

Yes its still the best and the newest one sucks ass, I don't know what they did, but when I tried it I got boot up problems. Don't use it.

Fatalah

Is the new zonealarm the reason why my computer is running slow and the reason why sound skips every time i run any application?

it seems to be a resource hog! i was thinking about reformatting, but maybe i should just uninstall zonealarm once i get sp2...cause as you said, sp2 is a good firewall.

i use protowall to block riaa digs, anybody else use it?

and btw, when's SP2 gonna be at windows update, cause i'm afraid to install it any other way.

maharg

idspispopd
I was not aware of that. However, I would argue the usefulness of blocking outbound connections, and the ability of an average user to tell the difference between a correct outbound connection and an incorrect one. Inbound connections are a security risk, and for the average user a deny-all policy is probably the right way to go, except for possibly messangers and ftp. Outbound connections, however, are usually a privacy risk and are so extremely common that a allow-all policy pretty much has to be followed by an average user.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
The new ZoneAlarm sucks! I had it and it kept freezing my programs. Get the version of ZoneAlarm right before this latest one.

hooo

boooy
Hitman said:
The new ZoneAlarm sucks! I had it and it kept freezing my programs. Get the version of ZoneAlarm right before this latest one.
So I wasn't the only one with this problem.

calder

I use the new version and have never had any problems at all... whew for a change I wasn't one of the poor suckers who gets nailed with all the bugs.

maharg

idspispopd
Actually I just read something that makes me think xpsp2's firewall is not so hot after all. Not sure if it's true yet though

SickBoy

From a lot of stuff I've read, it looks like life is better when you don't update ZoneAlarm. People use it trouble-free, then upgrade to the new one and have all sorts of issues. I'll be sticking with the version I've got now until such a point where it's determined that it's actually some form of alien spyware or something.

-SB

aoi tsuki

A dozen posts and no mention of Sygate Personal Firewall?

http://soho.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

i stopped using ZA (can't remember the version but it was the latest a year ago) when it completely killed my internet access. No problems with SPF, i've uninstalled and reinstalled it and it works like a charm. Plays well with Bittorrent and other P2P apps as well.

Deg

Banned
aoi tsuki said:
A dozen posts and no mention of Sygate Personal Firewall?

http://soho.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

i stopped using ZA (can't remember the version but it was the latest a year ago) when it completely killed my internet access. No problems with SPF, i've uninstalled and reinstalled it and it works like a charm. Plays well with Bittorrent and other P2P apps as well.

Sygate is flawed apparently. Best of the free ones is ZA.

Culex

Banned
Zone Alarm 5.1 fixed the problems with online gaming, but there are still major P2P problems. Bittorrent freezes along with Emule, etc. Pages won't load, or only half-load and continue forever. CPU usage skyrockets.

Stay away from 5.X

aoi tsuki

Deg said:
Sygate is flawed apparently. Best of the free ones is ZA.
Yeah, "best of the free ones" can kill/hinder internet access and eat up your CPU. FWIW i had no major problems other than occasion CPU usage spiking with an older version (2.x IIRC) of ZA. Later versions turned me away from the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom