• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft says it’s starting to test ads inside the Start menu on Windows 11

Spyxos

Gold Member
The software maker will use the Recommended section of the Start menu, which usually shows file recommendations, to suggest apps from the Microsoft Store. The app promotions can be disabled in the Settings section of Windows 11, but it appears that Microsoft will enable these by default. Microsoft is seeking feedback on the changes, so it’s possible the company could decide to ditch these ads in development builds of Windows 11 if there’s enough feedback that suggests they’re not going to be a popular addition.

Capto_Capture_2024_04_12_02_21_43_PM.jpg

Microsoft started testing ads inside the File Explorer of Windows 11 last year before disabling the experiment in beta versions of Windows 11. Microsoft has been experimenting with ads inside Windows for more than 10 years.

Pejo

Microsoft started testing ads inside the File Explorer of Windows 11 last year before disabling the experiment in beta versions of Windows 11. Microsoft has been experimenting with ads inside Windows for more than 10 years.
Damn, I thought I time traveled or something because I could have sworn I already read about this, but the link you provided above was what I was thinking of. Fucking shameful of MS to pull this stuff.

I think a lot more people are gonna start using Pi-holes because you can't breathe or take a shit without being presented with ads these days. It's on TVs, it's on paid streaming services, hell that new Kong movie even had an entire scene of the actual movie that's just a Volkswagen ad.

I do kinda find it funny that big tech has all of our demographic and shopping preferences data, but they keep whinging because people have gotten pretty proficient at blocking ads.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Last edited:

Mikado

At some point I'd think this would put a dent in the value of Windows as a professional operating system for businesses that do actual work? So I'd hope this was disabled(or at least disableable) in Pro; I'm not paying my employees to look at ads and I'm not allowing them to install random shit on their machines.

But I'm pretty sure that MS basically admitted a few years ago that Home is the Lite/F2P version, Pro is the new Home, and Enterprise is the new Pro. Which is fine*. But it's a pain to buy Enterprise licenses for smallish businesses.

* Not really "fine" but it's only possible to fight so many fights at the same time

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Microsoft is seeking feedback on the changes, so it’s possible the company could decide to ditch these ads in development builds of Windows 11 if there’s enough feedback that suggests they’re not going to be a popular addition.

This is where you know they are just fucking with users. Like what user would actually give feedback that they like this addition? I guess "like" is just marking speak for "tolerate" or "not complain".

Hudo

I dunno, man. If I were Microsoft, I'd be less "bold" about fucking over my users with shit user experiences. Linux has come a long way and there a distributions like Ubuntu or Linux Mint out there that are pretty user friendly for the basic shit. And the point of entry for Mac is also """just""" 1200€ (Macbook Air 13").
And with many business software products moving to the cloud and using the PC as a glorified terminal, there will be fewer and fewer reasons to use Windows.

So I dunno, man. But I guess they did market research and decided that they still have so much power over the market that they can easily fuck users in the ass. Otherwise they wouldn't do it.

PSYGN

Gross. Companies have no shame anymore. Gotta beat them quarterly earnings even if it means trampling on your own users. America, f-yeah!

Sonik

I fucking wish Linux was easier to use.

You use something simple like Zorin OS or Kubuntu (if you want pretty effects but worse performance) and when there's some rare problem where you can't use the GUI you just google the problem and copy paste the commands the solution requires, it's that simple. In fact troubleshooting is often easier in Linux because the google results are from the actual Linux community instead of shitty AI written articles and the useless Microsoft forums where they tell you to update fucking Windows and your drivers 9.9/10 times. The only real problem nowadays is gaming, if I wasn't gaming I'd have abandoned their shit spyware OS years ago

nkarafo

Microsoft is seeking feedback on the changes, so it’s possible the company could decide to ditch these ads in development builds of Windows 11 if there’s enough feedback that suggests they’re not going to be a popular addition.

You think?

Jinzo Prime

I fucking wish Linux was easier to use.

The problem with Linux is that it is a bunch of independent projects duck-taped together instead of full OS made by one team. MacOS, iOS and Android often feel more stable than Linux, unless you are using it to run a server, which is its original purpose to begin with.

I won't give up on Linux, however, because it is the only hope right now for a desktop OS that can do work and play games without ads and spyware. I got burned on Pop OS, but I'll get back on the penguin soon.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I like how all the apple bro's are like, just use MacOS. First of all, unless you want to 'hackintosh' your system, you have to buy an apple device. Linux is free to use, and works on just about any hardware with some additional tweaking, and there's a lot of documentation/youtube vids to help with that. I think most people will go the linux route instead of spending $2-3k on a decent macOS system. But ofcourse, everyone who owns an apple device likes to throw money away apparently. Don't get me wrong, MacOS is great at what it is, but most people wont go buying new hardware when they can just install linux for zero cost.

Soodanim

If you want even more there is Winaero Tweaker. Basically lets you customize windows in any way you want.

You're 2 for 2 on these, thank you. They're both very good.

LOL why even mess with Linux in 2024, just use Mac OS
If Mac was openly available to any and all, this might be a legitimate suggestion. So long as it remains locked to an overpriced walled garden it's never going to happen for most.
Don't get me wrong, MacOS is great at what it is, but most people wont go buying new hardware when they can just install linux for zero cost.
Maybe for enthusiasts, but the mass market is never going to do that. It's going to be Windows forever unless they use Android.

And those two things combined is why Windows is putting ads in their OS. There aren't any alternatives for regular people that want to go out and buy an OEM machine. Businesses aren't going to jump OS, the cost, time, and effort could be catastrophic for nearly any size of company. Microsoft can do whatever they want at this point, and even if they cross the line they step back and slowly push the line for a while.

Jinzo Prime

And those two things combined is why Windows is putting ads in their OS. There aren't any alternatives for regular people that want to go out and buy an OEM machine. Businesses aren't going to jump OS, the cost, time, and effort could be catastrophic for nearly any size of company. Microsoft can do whatever they want at this point, and even if they cross the line they step back and slowly push the line for a while.
They need to be broken up.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I am seriously considering moving to Mac for desktop when Windows 10 is sunset next year. I detest Windows 11 that much. Linux unfortunately is not an option, as it would just be too much of a hassle when it comes to work. I wish all of the applications I needed had full-featured web options but they just don't, and I need a reliable thick client for the Remote Desktop client (AVD).

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Has there been any pushback from the press and usual YouTubers yet?

I use MacOS as my daily driver, and Ubuntu on all my servers and it's great having far more control over what your systems are actually doing. I have a Windows system for games, and specifically I'm running ReviOS which is pretty solid.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I am seriously considering moving to Mac for desktop when Windows 10 is sunset next year. I detest Windows 11 that much. Linux unfortunately is not an option, as it would just be too much of a hassle when it comes to work. I wish all of the applications I needed had full-featured web options but they just don't, and I need a reliable thick client for the Remote Desktop client (AVD).

W11 is just W10 with a slightly different skin. I'm using a start menu replacement (StartAllBack) that also adjusts the way windows and the taskbar are displayed. I see almost no difference between the two with the exception of the settings menu and control panel.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
We need Steam OS, running whatever makes the Steam Deck work, and then I can dump Windows for gaming. I use Mac/ipad for everyday usage already.

There are reasonable options if you want a dedicated gaming OS powered by Linux - steamOS doesn’t have special closed source proprietary stuff to facilatate compatibility other than the steam client itself, as far as I know.

Nobara is a popular gaming focused distro, you can try that one.
I like how all the apple bro's are like, just use MacOS. First of all, unless you want to 'hackintosh' your system, you have to buy an apple device. Linux is free to use, and works on just about any hardware with some additional tweaking, and there's a lot of documentation/youtube vids to help with that. I think most people will go the linux route instead of spending $2-3k on a decent macOS system. But ofcourse, everyone who owns an apple device likes to throw money away apparently. Don't get me wrong, MacOS is great at what it is, but most people wont go buying new hardware when they can just install linux for zero cost.

A 13 inch M3 air with 16gb of ram and 512gb ssd will set you back 1499$ + sales tax. Not quite 2k 😜

But I get you, they’re expensive computers and costs skyrocket quickly if you start moving up the line.

SoloCamo

Microsoft can start testing sucking my dick.
Win11 is so fucking bad, made my PC slow af.

I haven't migrated to Win 11 on my home desktop but moved to it for both my work desktop and personal laptop. No speed differences in day to day nor noticeable change elsewhere. Besides forcing Win 11 on pc's that have no business being used today (think Core 2 Duo's) Win11 should run fine.

Top Bottom