• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It rains solid diamonds on Uranus and Neptune (WaPo)

Ithil

862015.gif

SRG01

Aluminium is still relatively expensive due to power required for its refining. IIRC, aluminium ore gets shipped to places where electricity is cheap, even quite long distances.

It's waaaay cheaper compared to what it used to cost before the reduction of aluminum was discovered. In fact, the recycling of aluminum is cheaper than aluminum ore itself.

Chronoja

If gas giant diamond rain impresses you folks, wait until you learn that there's pretty much entire stars formed of diamond.

Diamonds aren't really that rare/valuable here on Earth - it's just that all the diamond mines are owned by a couple people who got together, forming a monopoly, making diamonds seem valuable to better line their pockets.

i think this has been clarified enough already.

Biske

Obviously we are a long long way from this, but it does make you wonder about the potential of space mining.

Plum

"It rains solid diamonds on Uranus and Neptune!"

:)

"Diamonds are common af they're just highly valued because of cartels and artificial rarity"

:(

Philia

I'm feeling old here... this is basically the entire premise for Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer.

This villain would love to take the whole planet for herself.

Copied from Wiki: "Rainbow takes the mission to find Orin and later learns that Spectra is dimming as the result of a massive net being woven around the surface. It is being made so that a selfish princess (Rhonda Aldrich), known only as the "Dark Princess", can steal Spectra, "the greatest diamond in all the universe", for herself, and tow it back to her world with her massive spaceship. The native Sprites of Spectra, enslaved by Glitterbots under the princess' control, are being forced to weave the net. Now Rainbow has to stop the princess' plan before all life on Earth is frozen solid by an endless winter."

kyser73

Half of the interest in private space flight right now is to get a chance to mine an asteroid for rare metals. You do that and you're the richest man alive.

Yeah, there are some interesting economics around space mining.

In that it doesn't (currently) stack up.

Diamonds are actually worthless. The reason they cost so much is due to the De Beers diamond cartel artificially restricting supply.

https://youtu.be/N5kWu1ifBGU

Diamonds are overvalued, but are certainly not worthless. Synthetic diamonds still cost a lot to produce. If they were dirt cheap we would be using diamond substrates for semiconductors, diamond based heat sinks, and for plenty of other engineering applications.

Woorloog

Banned
2061OdysseyThree.jpg

Villain of the novel is Rolf van der Berg who trying to get a mountain size diamond that use to be part of Jupitur's core

It has been quite some time since i read that book but... That name can't have been an accident by Clarke, can it? It is reasonably close to De Beers...

Woorloog

Banned
Solid? Meh...let me know when it rains liquid diamonds somewhere

A gas giant with enough carbon might have make a liquid diamond layer possible, but not many other things. Mind you, there'd be no rain. But liquid diamond would be exceedingly impressive in its own right, as mere liquid carbon is very impressive.
Carbon cannot be actually melted in normal atmospheric pressure...

Grym

A gas giant with enough carbon might have make a liquid diamond layer possible, but not many other things. Mind you, there'd be no rain. But liquid diamond would be exceedingly impressive in its own right, as mere liquid carbon is very impressive.
Carbon cannot be actually melted in normal atmospheric pressure...

Huh...Well I learned something new today :) I just assumed liquid diamond was impossible when I posted that

Kthulhu

Diamonds are overvalued, but are certainly not worthless. Synthetic diamonds still cost a lot to produce. If they were dirt cheap we would be using diamond substrates for semiconductors, diamond based heat sinks, and for plenty of other engineering applications.

I meant in terms of cost. Not application.

Woorloog

Banned
Huh...Well I learned somwthing new today :) I just assumed liquid diamond was impossible when I posted that

I assumed so too... but some googling indicates it might be possible. That gas giant bit is my speculation, because there really ain't many places that might offer suitable pressure and enough carbon.

That said, carbon is not terribly common in gas giants...

Top Bottom