• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It seems like gaming can become a job if you become too dedicated

jayj

Banned
I say this because I notice how some people approach playing video games like it's a job, usually because they are taking it very seriously or have some sort of dedicated goal they're trying to progress towards. Such as people trying to be serious competitive gamers, it becomes a job for them to play a game in order to maintain their ability to play it at a seriously high level. Others I often see are the completionists, people who feel a need to 100%, platinum, or simply complete games they play for whatever reason. This seems like it can be more casual, but I have seen how some people can get really wrapped up in that, especially if it's a particularly long, deep, or difficult game. Then there's the backlog gamers, which I think can sometimes become an "experience everything" obsession where you get people trying to work their way through an entire catalog or stacks of games. It can definitely mean work for this one as well, as some people really seem to treat gaming like it's a job they need to clock in for in order to meet their goals.

Now as someone who has long been into video game collecting that played a few games competitively in the past, I have seen myself fall into that sort of behavior in a sense, but I could never keep with it for too long, real life responsibilities would take priority or I would simply lose interest after a while. At one point I think I had the intention of trying to work my way through my collection, playing through everything, but now that I'm older and new stuff keeps coming out as it always has, I think I realized how gaming shouldn't feel like a job or it loses it's fun, and I think the entire point of gaming in the first place has always been to simply have fun. When I keep this in mind I realize how the best way to enjoy video games is simply living in the moment, where you are in the mood for something and just play that until you lose interest or become fatigued or have something else to do and so on. The only drawback I have with this approach is the lack of completion, where I rarely beat a game unless it's something that I am really into, and even then, I find the only reason I got that far is because I eventually fell into the labor mindset of having a goal and working towards it.

So how do you feel about all of this? Do you personally enjoy treating gaming as a laborious activity, do you even relate to that, or is gaming something you never took seriously? Do you think games can be completed without labor, of do you simply consider it a labor of love? Can collections be enjoyed without eventually treating it as work, or is that a part of the fun? I think there is a lot to think about when it comes to what drives us to play games, and where we derive our enjoyment from them.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yeah, that's being hardcore in a hobby for you. I'm sure the same thing applies to cinema dudes, sitting through movies that they're not really that into at the moment because they NEED to see em. Or books. Etc.

Just take things at your own pace and you will always enjoy your hobbies. You're not obligated to sit through an entire game if you're not in the mood for it.

Last edited:

poodaddy

I get you OP. I used to get a little down sometimes about my massive backlog, but then I had a daughter and realized that I barely get any time for gaming at all, so I just enjoy the moments for what they are. I've really gained a whole new appreciation for those times when I get to play Ninty games with the wife and daughter, those are what gaming is all about for me and why I got into it in the first place.

Mr Hyde

I take gaming seriously but I would never treat it as work. I actually used to work in the gaming space as a writer who reviewed games and wrote articles for a site on the web, but quit after three years because it sucked all the fun out of my hobby. Stressful deadlines, whiny gamers, shady practices from publishers, lousy pay, you name it. Fuck that shit I say, I love gaming too much to see it ruined by stuff like that. Take your time, play when you feel like it, don't get caught up in hype cycles, value your collection and all the memories attached to it. And above all, have fun.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
You see this with some people in practically every hobby, even sports card trading. I personally don’t get anywhere this serious about gaming, but feel that everyone’s purpose for gaming is different.

Wildebeest

If games are so shallow that they can't occupy your mind so much that you get distracted from real life pressures, then there is literally no point to them.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Gaming addiction is real. Real as gambling addiction or other unhealthy habits that can spiral out of control. I was pretty much living in Vana'diel for 5 years on FFXI. Will never touch another MMO for as long as I live. You see addicts now getting lost in games like Destiny. Some can treat it like a job, but it can get even worse than that.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
When I see how tedious it is to playing a videogame perfectly and also edit videos to upload to YouTube... No thanks.

Playing video games is a hobby, but I would never consider it as a job, nothing productive comes out of it.

OrtizTwelve

I say this because I notice how some people approach playing video games like it's a job, usually because they are taking it very seriously or have some sort of dedicated goal they're trying to progress towards. Such as people trying to be serious competitive gamers, it becomes a job for them to play a game in order to maintain their ability to play it at a seriously high level. Others I often see are the completionists, people who feel a need to 100%, platinum, or simply complete games they play for whatever reason. This seems like it can be more casual, but I have seen how some people can get really wrapped up in that, especially if it's a particularly long, deep, or difficult game. Then there's the backlog gamers, which I think can sometimes become an "experience everything" obsession where you get people trying to work their way through an entire catalog or stacks of games. It can definitely mean work for this one as well, as some people really seem to treat gaming like it's a job they need to clock in for in order to meet their goals.

Now as someone who has long been into video game collecting that played a few games competitively in the past, I have seen myself fall into that sort of behavior in a sense, but I could never keep with it for too long, real life responsibilities would take priority or I would simply lose interest after a while. At one point I think I had the intention of trying to work my way through my collection, playing through everything, but now that I'm older and new stuff keeps coming out as it always has, I think I realized how gaming shouldn't feel like a job or it loses it's fun, and I think the entire point of gaming in the first place has always been to simply have fun. When I keep this in mind I realize how the best way to enjoy video games is simply living in the moment, where you are in the mood for something and just play that until you lose interest or become fatigued or have something else to do and so on. The only drawback I have with this approach is the lack of completion, where I rarely beat a game unless it's something that I am really into, and even then, I find the only reason I got that far is because I eventually fell into the labor mindset of having a goal and working towards it.

So how do you feel about all of this? Do you personally enjoy treating gaming as a laborious activity, do you even relate to that, or is gaming something you never took seriously? Do you think games can be completed without labor, of do you simply consider it a labor of love? Can collections be enjoyed without eventually treating it as work, or is that a part of the fun? I think there is a lot to think about when it comes to what drives us to play games, and where we derive our enjoyment from them.
I used to be more serious with gaming when I was much younger and had very little responsibilities. As I've gotten older and I have certain duties and obligations to maintain, I now view gaming as a way to relax or escape reality for some time.

When I see how tedious it is to playing a videogame perfectly and also edit videos to upload to YouTube... No thanks.

Playing video games is a hobby, but I would never consider it as a job, nothing productive comes out of it.
I find Nookrium's philosophy interesting in that regard. He says he doesn't consider himself a skilled gamer and does almost no editing. I could still see that sucking the fun out of it if you're on a schedule to churn out content, though.

LRKD

I think fomo is what makes gaming become like a job, not just dedication, but it may be different for different people.

jayj

Banned
I get you OP. I used to get a little down sometimes about my massive backlog, but then I had a daughter and realized that I barely get any time for gaming at all, so I just enjoy the moments for what they are. I've really gained a whole new appreciation for those times when I get to play Ninty games with the wife and daughter, those are what gaming is all about for me and why I got into it in the first place.
Yeah that's pretty much my position in all this these days. I managed to collect a huge backlog of games, and I came to realize how trying to get through it would turn gaming into a job for me, and how I simply just don't have the kind of free dedicated time to game that I used to, especially with new games still grabbing my time and attention the way they do. Finding what I truly enjoy with the time I have to game definitely brought about a new perspective, how trying to complete games or play everything is just an ambitious goal. It's like I might be able to play everything for a bit, but there is no way I will have the time to beat or complete most games I own, and that's fine. I think the joy should be all about how I can balance out gaming in my life, and exploring what is out there, and gravitating towards what I truly enjoy.

I take gaming seriously but I would never treat it as work. I actually used to work in the gaming space as a writer who reviewed games and wrote articles for a site on the web, but quit after three years because it sucked all the fun out of my hobby. Stressful deadlines, whiny gamers, shady practices from publishers, lousy pay, you name it. Fuck that shit I say, I love gaming too much to see it ruined by stuff like that. Take your time, play when you feel like it, don't get caught up in hype cycles, value your collection and all the memories attached to it. And above all, have fun.
I think this is why I am glad I never got seriously into journalism and the gaming scene. While there was definitely a time I aspired to be doing that, I came to realize how it would literally turn gaming to a job and probably suck the fun and enjoyment I get out of it for the reasons you described. Heck I bet gaming youtubers get effected by that as well, so it's no wonder why I struggle to relate to so many gaming journalists these days.

I used to be more serious with gaming when I was much younger and had very little responsibilities. As I've gotten older and I have certain duties and obligations to maintain, I now view gaming as a way to relax or escape reality for some time.
Yeah that's definitely why I fell out of competitive gaming in general. I think it's a young man's activity, as I got older I simply didn't have the time to dedicate myself towards playing one game all the time, and that really conflicted with my growing appreciation for collecting and enjoying a variety of games as well. It's also why I just don't have the time or patience for playing highly demanding games anymore as well. Gaming for me these days has become something I just like to be able to relax with, and play at my own time and pace.

I think fomo is what makes gaming become like a job, not just dedication, but it may be different for different people.
I think FOMO is a huge part of what can give us anxiety or desires for playing or experiencing everything. Like there is so much critically acclaimed content out there these days, and it's so easy to take in a wide variety of perspectives from a wide variety of people, to where you can easily get lost in trying to find the joy or value that others derive from things that might not be for you. I think this is why focusing on my personal interests has become such a big deal to me, and why that's a big part of how I have grown as a gamer.

Like when you're younger it's easy to have a desire to try everything out and try to get into things that might not be for you because other people are really into it. Now that I am older and have played such a wide variety of games, I have a really great concept of exactly what I enjoy and typically don't enjoy. I think that's the best way to defeat FOMO really, having the experience to know what things are like and exactly why you probably won't enjoy them, knowing how not everything that is popular will be for you, and how it's okay to pass on big release games. It's like as money became less of an issue for me time became the greatest issue, and priorities shifted over to how I can spend my time.

Last edited:

SHA

Entrepreneurs deal with money, the money topic for itself brings headache, double it 10 times if you own it, it's like watching Netflix, most of the time for healing, it's not like wasting time, adults know how to not get distracted and emotional on things.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
My attention span is too short and my taste in game too eclectic to be able to focus on a single game enough to become pro.

Not to mention the lack of time because of work, family...etc.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I was in a similar place. Backlog started growing all the way back from 6th-gen. Got married about 7-years ago and my wife has been gaming longer than I. We co-op on Switch games and it's less tedious for me to play longer with the company. Family gaming is where it's at.

simpatico

Certain games require a commitment that I am unwilling to give. Destiny 2, The Division etc. I bought Diablo 4 during the sale and it remains to be seen if it requires 40hrs a week to keep the game playable. I hope not.

SHA

I was in a similar place. Backlog started growing all the way back from 6th-gen. Got married about 7-years ago and my wife has been gaming longer than I. We co-op on Switch games and it's less tedious for me to play longer with the company. Family gaming is where it's at.
You are right, we all started playing with our families.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
You are right, we all started playing with our families.
Not sure if you're serious or sarcastic. I didn't start that way, that's where I ended up. Started gaming solo on PC when I was a kid. Didn't get to consoles until I was nearly 11-years old. I shared my consoles with my siblings but, that's about it.

SHA

Not sure if you're serious or sarcastic. I didn't start that way, that's where I ended up. Started gaming solo on PC when I was a kid. Didn't get to consoles until I was nearly 11-years old. I shared my consoles with my siblings but, that's about it.
Sharing experiences is the same for me, what's the difference?

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I am an achievement whore. I suffer through a bunch of crap I don't enjoy just so I can get my Steam achievements. I completely agree with the OP. I wish I could just enjoy videogames for what they are. But I need that dopamine hit.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
eh most games are crap these days but we do get more than a few good ones each year so I'm ADD about it as I was when I were younger I can get something like eldin ring and play for years but still through in a Mario and Zelda in that time.

Bond007

Thats how i felt when i needed to complete game in a backlog- a chore/job.
I ditched that idea and just play what im in the mood for when i want. A backlog is only something in my head that doesnt require any commitment to.

Last edited:

Freeman76

I have never understood the term backlog in gaming, tbh I see that as a fucked up way to look at it, no wonder some ppl see it like a job. I see it as a library of games and I play what I feel like. Seeing it as a backlog would take the fun out of it for me

Top Bottom