• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's going to sound weird, but I take my brain bait: Can you cry?

matt360

I'm almost 40 and the last time I cried was when I was 17 years old. We lost the state football championships and it was to be the last team sport I ever played that wasn't college intermurals. All of my grandparents are dead, and I didn't cry for any of them despite being close with all of them. I did feel sad, but not to the point where I felt the need to cry. Same with my wedding day and the birth of my son. I do feel stuff, but it's probably on a more subdued level compared with most of the people around me, and I don't actively try to suppress any of my emotions. I'm fine with it.

is it really true that being a dad changes you?

i always thought it was bullshit, and still do

like yeah obviously you now have a stress of a new family member

but is it like a change the way dropping acid reconfigures your brain?

does your brain reconfigure?

matt360

is it really true that being a dad changes you?

i always thought it was bullshit, and still do

like yeah obviously you now have a stress of a new family member

but is it like a change the way dropping acid reconfigures your brain?

does your brain reconfigure?

Yeah, I think it's true. I never felt much to begin with, but I can definitely feel more after becoming a dad. News stories about little kids being abused or killed are really tough to listen to now, whereas before I didn't really give a shit. I'm not above a good dead baby joke though. I have friends who are dads who used to love dead baby jokes but get all uppity when you tell them one now.

I've not cried since I was like 13.

I've had people around me die since then... nothing. I just sort of take things at face value, maybe become overtly philosophical for a moment and that's it.

I tear up during emotional scenes in movies/shows. I tear up over other personal shit too when I reach a breaking point. I don’t fully cry over shit, though, no matter how bad it is.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I tear up the same reason I take a piss to get rid of waste products and regular plumbing and I do it often regularly after a hards day work. I don't feel any sadness while I do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom