• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT'S OFFICIAL reviewers that gave TLOU 2 positive reviews were afraid of being blacklisted by Sony and had to "keep with good terms with Sony"

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I trust very few reviewers these days. I think I only really pay attention to ACG. I prefer blunt and honest reviews as opposed to ones that walk on eggshells.

Main issue is that this story driven game's story is "bad" and that's why it isn't going to be well received.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
Pretty much every media site wants to keep good relations with every publisher they deal with. This is nothing new and won't stop.
I had reviews censored/edited (not by the publisher, by the media site I was doing the review for) because the truth was "too harsh" and "the publisher might not like it".

But you can't say all 80+ positive reviews have the same experience.

I've been writing reviews for over 15 years and only once felt the consequence of a negative review. And I know many people who work for small-ish to big outlets and say the same.
Does that mean it never happens? Nah, I'm pretty sure there might be some instances. But accusing every 10/10 review for this game is just wrong.

As long as your arguments lead to the final verdict, no publisher/PR agency will get you into trouble.

But - just an example - if you're criticising TLoU2 for "crappy graphics worse than any PS1 game", publisher would call you out on that, no doubt.

makaveli60

Is this really considered a bad videogame by so many? I understand the ideology problems with it, and I hate that thing in it too, but if you objectively check the game I don't want to believe that you are not amazed by it. I'm sure this is about that and fanboy shit in addition. This is currently the top of videogames next to RDR2, no matter if you personally like its gameplay or not.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I've been writing reviews for over 15 years and only once felt the consequence of a negative review. And I know many people who work for small-ish to big outlets and say the same.
Does that mean it never happens? Nah, I'm pretty sure there might be some instances. But accusing every 10/10 review for this game is just wrong.

As long as your arguments lead to the final verdict, no publisher/PR agency will get you into trouble.

But - just an example - if you're criticising TLoU2 for "crappy graphics worse than any PS1 game", publisher would call you out on that, no doubt.
My problem was never the publisher, my uncensored text never got published to even know how the publisher would react to it, my problem was with who was running the media site (this kinda sounds that it was all the time, no, it only happened in 2 situations).

sircaw

Banned
Dats reysis.

Okay so reviews can only be allowed if players finished it. Any other requirements you want to add before people are allowed share their opinion? Should I need a store purchase receipt, picture id, or give out my personal contact information also?

Now your just being obtuse and Pharisaical with your line of thinking.

Its pretty clear that there are hundreds if not thousands of people trying review bomb this game. Are there a few legit reviews in their, maybe but the vast majority of them are just plain ridiculous.

As for criticising the story, yes i do think people should have played a good chunk of the game to experience it. If you are going to be using the story in a "SINGLE PLAYER STORY GAME " as your main metric to judge said game, then yes, i do expect you to put some time into it before judging it.

There is no point going any further in this discussion, you obliviously have your point and view and i have mine and we are both not going to budge on it.

Last reply
Have a good day.

Herr Edgy

I believe that it makes all the difference between a 8/10 or 9/10 and a 10/10 score though. It's less about it not being negative, rather, it's about it not being this hugely amazing unfathomable game. The gameplay, while well made, is very simplistic and too repetitive I'd argue, and the story, while subjective, has some very questionable storytelling devices built-in. There is no way all those outlets have basically no qualms with the game at all, while so many gamers (outside of console warrior kids and bots) take actual issue with parts of the game.

Imo it's all about the unconscious bias brought forth by the weight of expectations that leads to weird review situations like these. (I have another post a page back on this, I don't want to repeat myself too much).

DarkBatman

My problem was never the publisher, my uncensored text never got published to even know how the publisher would react to it, my problem was with who was running the media site (this kinda sounds that it was all the time, no, it only happened in 2 situations).

That makes it even harder to say how the publisher would have reacted.
Would they have blacklisted the outlet? Or cut you out of any future perks? Who knows?

I don't want to downplay your experience, this is certainly something that is happening at some outlets from time to time.

I just find it hard to take a thread like this one seriously.
One guy has to delete his positive review because his community is accusing him to be a shill and suddenly he is like "Yeah, I wanted to make Sony happy"?
Sounds to me like "I can't stick to my own opinion, want to make my community happy and point my finger at the publisher".

DarkBatman

The dumbest argument is the Woke nonsense.

Ellie was a lesbian in TLOU1, with Left Behind, and almost nobody had an issue with it.
Now it's pushing agendas because they just build on something, while it makes perfect sense in the story?

Narrowmindedness at it's finest.

Yeah, after finishing the game it was totally lost on the whole "Pushing an agenda" thing.
Although there are some moments that seem to push the "women are strong as well" narrative to a weird high, it's never even close to be understood as an agenda.
And Ellie's sexual orientation just made perfect sense and was well integrated into the overall story, like you wrote.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Hell, I have no issue with Ellie being a lesbian, or fuck even Abby and her story, I mean, I’ll be perfectly honest, I side more with Abby than I do Joel.

But the execution of all this... if you forgive the pun... was just so wrong. FOR ME.

Last edited:

DarkBatman

Hell, I have no issue with Ellie being a lesbian, or fuck even Abby and her story, I mean, I’ll be perfectly honest, I side more with Abby than I do Joel.

But the execution of all this... if you forgive the pun... was just so wrong. FOR ME.

I don't even have a problem with your opinion, having a problem with the pacing, execution or even some dialogue is perfectly understandable.
But I read so many angry user reviews that hate the SJW agenda and wokeness that is being forced onto the player - and I just had a hard time finding any of that.

Rudius

Well it’s a happy coincidence the game happens to be so good then.

The reviewers got paid and didn’t even have to compromise their opinions. Win for everyone 👍
A game can be good in some aspects and bad in others, thus not deserving perfect scores.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I don't even have a problem with your opinion, having a problem with the pacing, execution or even some dialogue is perfectly understandable.
But I read so many angry user reviews that hate the SJW agenda and wokeness that is being forced onto the player - and I just had a hard time finding any of that.

I’ve read countless tweets from people giving it a 0 JUST because you play as a woman.

I don’t have time for that shit man... that’s just pathetic. I’ll happily play as a man or woman in a game as long as it’s fun and engaging. Same goes for sexual orientation, too. I was bought up on decent video games where shit like this didn’t make a damn bit of difference.

But for me, I could play as Joel and Owen was it (Abbys fuck buddy?), instead. It would make zero difference to my overall opinion of the game. A stunningly beautiful game that shows ND are the absolute best at creating a world like this, that sadly has a story that doesn’t resonate with me, coupled with gameplay that feels a decade out of date.

I don’t know, it’s just not a 10. It’s a 7, tops. And as I said, I get a stonk on for the visuals, which are absolutely top tier. And that’s my motivation. Hell even though the story for me is straight trash and they fucked over the characters, the actual way the story parts are shot (the main ones anyway) is utterly beautiful.

So yeah, anybody giving this 3 or below is utterly fucking dumb.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Think positive! Now that the game is out, ND can start working on something different (and more interesting). I would love to see ND doing a fighting game, something completely different from Uncharted/TLOU.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Think positive! Now that the game is out, ND can start working on something different (and more interesting). I would love to see ND doing a fighting game, something completely different from Uncharted/TLOU.

Did you not catch the sheer overload of space paintings, drawings, models and story points in the game? I would bet good money their next game is about space in some regard.

Tiamat2san

The drama 😂
It’s amazing how some are so anti-TLOU 2, they will find anything to justify their hate.
Anything.
Maybe Druckman is a vegan and that he had a parking ticket when he bought tofu in a LGBTQ market.
You should investigate.

DarkBatman

Did you not catch the sheer overload of space paintings, drawings, models and story points in the game? I would bet good money their next game is about space in some regard.

Wasn't there a rumor that they are working on a space game?
Thought I'd read about something like that a few weeks back, sadly can't find anything about that.

Ar¢tos

I didn't play TLOU2. I liked the 1st one, but felt zero interest in TLOU2 since it was revealed.
A space game would be nice, as long as it isnt just TLOU in space...

Kokoloko85

This is purely culture warring.

And take it from me, Im not a SJW warrior. But Alot of you guys are reminding me of them and there sense of justice and shoving down everyones throats. Just because you dont like the story etc, then you try and say the gameplay sucks and blahblah blah....

Some of you sound so desperate to try and convince people how they should like there gameplay.... please go fuck yourselves.... you sound desperate and pathetic, and you sound as bad as a “feminist” trying to convince me that Men are actually CIS men... and trans men are men.....

And your mostly saying it because you don't like the whole political reason.... because you were probably loving the first game and if you didn't fair play.
But your favourite game is probably just as dull to me as Last of us is to you.

Im betting ive been to more Anti left and anti right protests than most people here, I just separate my art to the politics.
Is Neil Drickman someone I could get along with and have a beer.? Doubt it as he has so many opposite views to me in politics, but he’s a damn good game maker.

1st off youR opinion on gameplay is subjective.

Anyone saying its dull and the gameplay is a 6 or 7, must have felt like that during the first one... and thats cool for you, but stop trying to tell people its a 6 or 7 out of 10 game because of X, Y and Z.

I Personally love how the slow, interactive gameplay mixes with the story, I like how the shooting and surviving and combat mechanics are. Theres not another game that executes It like it.

And to me its not dull, its calculated, interactive, engaging and has suspense. Along with the animations and HOW naughty dog mixes is story telling and gameplay, I love it.

I could go on a say, the gameplay in Final Fantasy 14 is dull, Doom eternal to me is dull and repetitive. Gear 5 was dull....
Witcher 3 to me is a 7 out 10. But it probably doesnt deserve that score as a game, I just find the combat so bad.

GTA V is bloody awful to me but I don't go around telling people, it a 6 not 10.... Clearly people love the gameplay formula, as bland, lifeless and boring and repetitive as it is to me.

People who say its dull... its subjective. Thats right, your opinion doesn't mean is golden. As good as your points sound in your head.

All a sudden people expect people to say Naughty Dog’s gaming formula and gameplay sucks because of a lesbian love story ruins there zombie apocalypse game lol. I havent even got 20% into the game. I might hate the story and ending, but Im not gonna pretend that any other game developers can create the same experience naughty dog does. There formula for there type of gameplay is awesome.

To me theres no1 in the industry that makes games like Naughty dog. I love there Formula. If you dont, good for you.
Dont try and convince people its not a 10.
Because then neither is GTA V, Zelda Breath of the Wild, Mario Galaxy ( damn I hate that game ) witcher 3 etc.

Just like movies, Some people think Fast and Furious are the best films, some people think Dunkirk is the greatist film they”ve seen,
I think they are both shit and Id literally rather sit and meditate for 3 hours then watch them.
Matrix..... or Guardian of the Galaxy.... now your talking my language

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

giphy.gif

Ixiah

Banned
Sales numbers show people love TLOU2.
Maybe you should prove otherwise.
Sure, they love it so much that People who werent informed now return the Game en masse after one day, when they get to the shit part.
Stores like JB Hi-Fi now refuse trade ins for last of us 2.
But hey, when the Game "Journalists" or rather, paid Political Activists all praise a game, while the Players who actualy have to pay money for it say its shit, i know which one i believe.

Sony

Nintendo
Is that a coincidence Sony's biggest game in this gen is getting attacked by salty Xbox fans who have nothing else to do because their platform underdeliver and should better spend their time demanding better games to MS?

Hmm, probably yes...🤔

Calling it an attack by salty Xbox fans doesn't make sense. By that logic, it should also have occured with other PS exclusives. This attack seems to be politically motivated by far right activisits rather than console wars.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I don't think the reviews are "paid for" but there's probably a small part of not wanting to sour a relationship with a major publisher, particularly if that publisher is a platform holder. The much bigger issue at play is not wanting to go against the cabal of "game journalists" who will try to cancel you if you don't like a game with pro SJW/LGBTQ+ agenda. It doesn't matter if that's not why you don't like it, you must like it period, or you're an enemy that must be taken out. Now I haven't played TLOU 2 but I have heard a few of the major plot points from people who have and I trust their opinions. They told me that even if you took out all the LGBTQ stuff away, like if Ellie was straight and Abby was either a man or a woman that looked like a real woman, The writing and the way the plot is executed are still terrible and sound like some teenage fan fiction. Without spoiling anything, one of the major themes that the game touches on is that there's 2 sides to every coin and sometimes actions we take can affect others in a big way that we're not necessarily ever aware of. This is a very interesting theme that if executed properly could make for a powerful story, but the thing is it does not seem well executed at all here, it's sloppy and constantly undermines the first game that people loved.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Kokoloko85 Kokoloko85 : “PLEASE STOP TELLING PEOPLE HOW TO THINK AND THINK LIKE IM TELLING YOU.”

Nah fuck off mate, I can make my own mind up cheers. I don’t give a fuck, have a side mission where Micheal Barrymore invites you over to clean his pool for all I care, that shit doesn’t bother me, but this gameplay is far behind the visuals in terms of polish, and that’s what I think. I’m entitled to think that because I slapped down the cash for the game.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
I must say I quite enjoy drinking the tears of all those fragile snowflakes who can't stand the fact the game was rated among the best of all times and also selling among the best.

Nobody cares about your hate, the artists shared their vision, most people loved the game, the reviews are out and they're stellar, and the money is in the bank. It's time to move on.

You'll have to deal with it, but some of you should certainly be put on suicide watch.

Last edited:

Kdad

I don't think the reviews are "paid for" but there's probably a small part of not wanting to sour a relationship with a major publisher, particularly if that publisher is a platform holder. The much bigger issue at play is not wanting to go against the cabal of "game journalists" who will try to cancel you if you don't like a game with pro SJW/LGBTQ+ agenda. It doesn't matter if that's not why you don't like it, you must like it period, or you're an enemy that must be taken out. Now I haven't played TLOU 2 but I have heard a few of the major plot points from people who have and I trust their opinions. They told me that even if you took out all the LGBTQ stuff away, like if Ellie was straight and Abby was either a man or a woman that looked like a real woman, The writing and the way the plot is executed are still terrible and sound like some teenage fan fiction. Without spoiling anything, one of the major themes that the game touches on is that there's 2 sides to every coin and sometimes actions we take can affect others in a big way that we're not necessarily ever aware of. This is a very interesting theme that if executed properly could make for a powerful story, but the thing is it does not seem well executed at all here, it's sloppy and constantly undermines the first game that people loved.
You 'trust the opinion' of people that say things like "or a woman that looked like a real woman, " .... please, do tell, what does "a real woman" look like? (this is rhetorical).

Last edited:
I love the game, most reviewers love the game.

But from a business perspective to have say a third of your audience hate the game perhaps I'm some respects it's too much too soon and the transition of the more SJW elements could of been done more gradually/naturally.

That been said if the hate is actually story elements then I love the game takes risks. Rather that than everyone have plot armour like in Game of Thrones season 7 and 8. At least they followed through with the ideals of the world they had created. As a lover of good stories I want to be emotionally moved, if bad things only happens to characters I don't care about where is the emotional investment.

So yeah it comes down to the reason for the hate to me as to if theres any validity behind it.
I hate the game. But its a great game.
I dont care who died. But I do care greatly who didnt die. It’s stupid.

The SJW agenda hate and the homophobic rants is all little boy shit. The valid criticism of this game, there is zero pay off in the end. Its a great story about hate, hate. hate, hate, hate, but then they dared mercy? Nah fuck that. Happy you liked it though.

Kokoloko85

Kokoloko85 Kokoloko85 : “PLEASE STOP TELLING PEOPLE HOW TO THINK AND THINK LIKE IM TELLING YOU.”

Nah fuck off mate, I can make my own mind up cheers. I don’t give a fuck, have a side mission where Micheal Barrymore invites you over to clean his pool for all I care, that shit doesn’t bother me, but this gameplay is far behind the visuals in terms of polish, and that’s what I think. I’m entitled to think that because I slapped down the cash for the game.

Lol no. How am I telling you to think? Im saying it's subjective lol and gameplay is subjective.
Just like you hate it and I love it.
Im just saying think for yourself. Not how I think.
If the gameplay is behind visual’s in what way?

What ways do other games gameplay beat Last of US 2 that leaves it so far behind other games?

People can rate it whatever they want. Funny to see babies react to it. Pandering to Sony is fucking lame though. Get some self respect.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Well if these guys weren't blacklisted before, if I was in Sony's shoes, hell if I was with any publisher/platform-holder I'd definitely blacklist em now.

I mean they are basically saying they have no integrity but trying to foist the blame for that on everyone but themselves.

Fuck 'em.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Lol no. How am I telling you to think? Im saying it's subjective lol and gameplay is subjective.
Just like you hate it and I love it.
Im just saying think for yourself. Not how I think.
If the gameplay is behind visual’s in what way?

What ways do other games gameplay beat Last of US 2 that leaves it so far behind other games?

(Long post is long sorry, didn’t think when writing it)

I’ll preface this post with stating again this game is tip top in many ways, just not gameplay. Graphically it’s stunning, and the scene execution for hero asset cinematics is second to none. Without question. The only game I feel that is graphically superior is RDR2, and that’s because they push almost this level of detail but over a full world.

The story is personal preference. People hate it because it’s got lesbians, or because Joel dies, or because the actual lead character is a man (when she isn’t). That’s up to them. For me, I just hate the respect they gave these characters, and while I actually side more with Abby than Ellie and Joel’s crew, I just feel the way this was all done was wrong. You don’t build up an amazing father figure like Joel that resonates with so many people in the first and then let him go out like a bitch. That screamed the sort of plot point you give a character when an actor decides he doesn’t want to come back for series 2. It just felt bad.

But the gameplay? That’s an area that’s a hot topic.

See for me, the gameplay didn’t evolve, at all. And it was basic in the first one, and was the worst part of the package there too. You now have ropes, that all work the same way and essentially work like a slower ladder. They are used in some puzzles but the “puzzle” is so basic it can’t really be called one. And you have boats/horses, which... Well let’s be honest they consist of pushing forward.

And that’s your gameplay evolution form the first. There’s a jump button, but to be fair it’s not even used for anything, it’s the same as just having a context jump before.

The actual gameplay itself, and this is ME talking not a collective thought, it’s just shallow. 10 minute cutscene, walk forward for 10 minutes, and then shoot 4 guys. Repeat. That’s it. The actual way you battle in these encounters is aways the same... Go in quietly for as long as you can. Humans? Sneak. Infected? Sneak. Tank? Shoot it until it dies. This is all cemented in with very, very stiff control that is only second to a rockstar game, and really lose feeling aiming.

For me, the actual gameplay loop isn’t enough. There’s nothing incredible there. If you stick this gameplay in any graphical engine, would it still be enough?

So as I said, the visuals are a clear 10/10 and if you disagree sorry but from a technical standpoint you’re absolutely wrong.

The story is debatable but again for me, it’s like a 3 maybe? These characters just don’t hit home with me, I don’t care, I don’t feel. Compared to other games like RDR2 where the ending left me genuinely sad, or Ori where when that event happens at the end I was shocked... I just don’t feel for these people now. It’s the video game equivalent of when the stupid character does the stupid thing in a horror film. I’m just like “meh”. Not because of lesbians, or SJW. But because of just “meh”.

But for me, this isn’t a 10. It’s not. I’ve played better games this gen, easily, that will last in my mind longer. Prettier? No. But a game can be near perfect without being a graphical powerhouse.

Don’t get me wrong though, this Is a game I’ll be coming back to just for it’s visual design. It’s absolutely top tits. But it’s GAME part of it isn’t even close to being the same quality, for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom