• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've installed Windows SP2 and it fucked my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobafett

Well, as always, service packs from Microsoft can do more damage than the virus or trojan horses found in the internet.

I've installed SP2 today through live update and now my Firefox (when clicked, doesn't start), Outlook 2003 (Command line argument is invalid. Verify the switch you're using), and others stopped working.

I need your help Gafers...

My advice, never ever "update" to a new service pack. Slipstream the service pack onto a new install disk and then reinstall the OS fresh. If you can't reinstall or don't want to, don't update at all.

Just my 2 cents.

Celicar

Banned
It fucked up my computer too. I had to redownload daemon tools and now when the computer beeps (ie when I change the volume) the beep is delayed.

Is there anyway to get rid of SP2 and go back to the former version?

calder

I've been holding off, but since yesterday the autoupdate icon has been showing in my systray but won't respond and won't go away.

SyNapSe

Celicar said:
It fucked up my computer too. I had to redownload daemon tools and now when the computer beeps (ie when I change the volume) the beep is delayed.

Is there anyway to get rid of SP2 and go back to the former version?

Yes, uninstall it.

Deg

Banned
yeah always backup or use system restore.

SP2 has been working fine for me. I havent noticed much point of it however yet. Another case of hype over substance i guess :p

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
wait.. so its out?

That expalins why my DL speed has been asstastic today. SP2 get.

I updated (as opposed to slipsteam, clean install) when SP1 came out, and it didn't do any bad things. But these reports of SP2 updating (and general suckiness) make me glad I'm waiting.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
anyone know how I can check on my DL status.. I can only assume that its going on as I speak.. but I have no way of actually knowing.

MoxManiac

My advice, never ever "update" to a new service pack. Slipstream the service pack onto a new install disk and then reinstall the OS fresh. If you can't reinstall or don't want to, don't update at all.

Are there any FAQS on making a slipstream CD?

MoxManiac said:
Are there any FAQS on making a slipstream CD?

Just google "slipstream" and "service pack" and you should get a couple of websites that have step-by-step instructions. Some of them even include necessary boot loader files too, whereas others tell you how to rip it from the Windows XP cd.

CaptainABAB

How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875355

If your computer does start correctly, but you want to roll back changes that were made by the Windows XP SP2 Setup program and remove Windows XP SP2, use one of the following methods.

Method 1: Remove Windows XP SP2 by using the Add or Remove Programs tool in Control Panel
Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.
In the list of currently installed programs, click Windows XP SP2, and then click Remove.
Click Next, and then follow the instructions that are displayed on the screen to remove Windows XP SP2.

Method 2: Remove Windows XP SP2 by using the Spuninst.exe command-line command
To do this:
Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type the following lines. Press ENTER after each line.
cd %Windir%\$NtServicePackUninstall$\Spuninst
spuninst.exe

Follow the instructions to remove Windows XP SP2.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
So, the final version of SP2 is out now ? Does it make your computer run faster now or is it still slower like the beta version ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom