• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jack's Back! (Buys Stock In Take-Two Interactive)

No, your eyes are not deceiving you. Jack Thompson has purchased shares in Take-Two interactive - otherwise known as the publisher behind the Grand Theft Auto series of games. So has JT suddenly become a financial supporter of the company he's long campaigned against? Not a chance. JT has purchased stock in the company in order that he might attend Take-Two's shareholder meetings and face up to the company's CEO, Paul Eibeler.

In advance of attending the shareholder's meeting, he sent a ranting letter to Eibeler, outlining his plan to attend the meeting and visit several issues that have been on our favorite lawyer's mind as of late. In the letter, JT questions Eibeler's handling of the "Hot Coffee" sex scandal (which won an award, by the way) and mentions a report by MarketWatch naming Eibeler as the "worst CEO of 2005". Up until this point, the letter raises legitimate concerns that any shareholder could have regarding the company's CEO.

But, as JT's letters always do, it degrades into a messy rant against the video game industry in general. At one point, JT refers to Microsoft's Flight Simulator as a training simulator for the 9/11 terrorists: "What's next, Paul, a game in which players can practice flying commercial jetliners into the World Trade Towers? Oh, I forgot. Microsoft already did that." We're not going to dignify that statement with a retort. As these kind of statements demonstrate: Jack Thompson is, and will forever remain, a childish attention seeker. We hope the organisers of the next Take-Two shareholder's meeting refuse to obey JT's request for a "cordless microphone at the shareholders meeting." That's all he needs: a voice.

http://www.joystiq.com/

Miami, Florida-based Attorney Jack Thompson today announced that he has purchased stock in Take-Two Interactive (NASDAQ: TTWO).

The news came as a shock, but it appears that Thompson isn't out to make a profit from the stock. Rather, Thompson bought the stock so he could attend Take-Two's shareholders' meetings. At the meeting, Thompson plans to raise the issue of Take-Two CEO Paul Eibeler causing Take-Two's stock to fall through "catastrophic corporate governance."

Attending a shareholders meeting is not a new tactic for Jack Thompson. In 1992, Thompson went to a Time Warner shareholders' meeting with Charlton Heston. Thompson saw a great success there, and recounts it in his book Out Of Harm's Way.

Thompson today sent Eibeler a letter detailing his plan to attend the shareholder's meetings. Thompson also went over Eibeler's track record again, which includes being named "America's Worst CEO in 2005" by MarketWatch. Here's what the letter, which was forwarded to the press and numerous politicians, stated:

As you know, MediaWatch declared you "America's Worst CEO in 2005." A public relations firm in San Francisco this month called your mishandling of the Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas' Hot Coffee sex mod scandal one of the "Ten Worst P.R. Blunders of 2005."

You, Mr. Eibeler, managed, with your managment "skills," to gin up multiple federal investigations, including the ongoing Federal Trade Commission investigation backed by a Resolution of the US House of Representatives by a vote of 355-21. That came on the heels of Take-Two's payment to the SEC of $8 million for accounting fraud.

You were paid $3.3 million in calendar year 2004 for these management skills. (http://swz.salary.com/execcomp/layouthtmls/excl_companyreport_C1002368_summary.html) What are you now worth? A better question would be: What will you owe shareholders after their derivative lawsuit arising out of your diminution of their share value?

Thompson even mentioned Eibeler's promise to release Bully, which he calls "a Columbine simulation game in which kids in a virtual school can bludgeon classmates and teachers" in April 2006. Thompson then took a shot at Microsoft's Bill Gates, stating, "What's next, Paul, a game in which players can practice flying commercial jetliners into the World Trade Towers? Oh, I forgot. Microsoft already did that. Thank Time's "Man of the Year," Bill Gates, whose Halo trained Lee Boyd Malvo to be the Beltway Sniper as well.

In the letter, Thompson stated that Eibeler's dumbest decision was to hire the Philadelphia law firm of Blank Rome to represent Take-Two in court and serve as their lobbyist in Congress. Thompson had the following to say about Blank Rome:

...Now Blank Rome is being investigated for allegedly improperly securing DHS and DOD contracts for clients.

Blank Rome also, very importantly, managed to lose all motions to dismiss our wrongful death lawsuit in Alabama arising out of a teen's training on Grand Theft Auto. Blank Rome lost those motions to dismiss to a "mentally ill" and "paranoid" lawyer whom your www.rockstargames.com site branded a bisexual pedophile. That would be yours truly. Blank Rome also represented Wal-Mart at that hearing, despite what would appear to be a patent conflict of interest. Please ask your in-house lawyers to explain that to you.

Blank Rome thus managed to deliver to you and to all of us the first time in history that an entertainment copycat violence lawsuit has survived a motion to dismiss. We expect to try this case in 2006. We also expect to take at that trial every single penny Take-Two currently has.

With Blank Rome as the law firm you chose, Mr. Eibeler, that won't be as difficult as you once thought. Nice hire, Paul.

Not to be entirely negative, Jack Thompson called Eibeler's portrayal on a February 2005 episode of Law and Order: Special Victims Unit a success. Thompson ended the letter with a small request, stating, I'd prefer a hand-held, cordless microphone at the shareholders meeting."

We'll keep you updated, as Take-Two's next shareholders' meeting should be very interesting.

http://ds.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=3090

*Collapses*

LakeEarth

"LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME" - Jack Thompson

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
LakeEarth said:
"LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME" - Jack Thompson

Yeah, he has been outta the spotlight for several weeks now, LakeEarth pretty much summed it up perfectly :lol :lol

VALIS

Conflicting emotions. Thompson is a hack and a disgrace to the legal profession.... but he's so damn entertaining! His next step will probably be a Morton Downey Jr-esque fake mugging by "crazed Grand Theft Auto fans."

Link

The Autumn Wind
Take-Two may be a shady company, but jesus christ this guy needs to get off their nuts and find a hobby.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Link said:
Take-Two may be a shady company, but jesus christ this guy needs to get off their nuts and find a hobby.

this is all he has..

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Link said:
He's local, how about I seek him out and run him down with my car?

Too ironic?

be better to pay him for sex then beat him with a bat and take your money back...while whislting the song from Zelda

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
:lol :lol :lol

I'm glad he's back, if only for the hilarious threads that will ensue. Keep it up Captain Insano!

Link

The Autumn Wind
Blackace said:
be better to pay him for sex then beat him with a bat and take your money back...while whislting the song from Zelda
I'm intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

BTW, the bit about their CEO named the worst CEO in America is the personal opinion of long time Take2 basher Herb Greenberg who happens to write for MarketWatch and was at the Street.com before and who is widely known to have connections to a fund that short Take2 stock. I can name 10 CEOs in this business alone who are worse...

Now about Jack, why is any media outlet, let alone gaming media, continue to give this buffoon a forum to vent his obvious hatred for this industry? Do they feel the obligations to publish something just because they get an email from THE Jack Thompson?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Amused_To_Death said:
BTW, the bit about their CEO named the worst CEO in America was done by long time Take2 basher Herb Greenberg who happens to write for MarketWatch and was at the Street.com before and who is widely known to have connections to a fund that short Take2 stock. I can name 10 CEOs in this business alone who are worse...

Now about Jack, why is any media outlet, let alone gaming media, continue to give this buffoon a forum to vent his obvious hatred for this industry? Do they feel the obligations to publish something just because they get an email from THE Jack Thompson?

His rampant insanity contiunes to amuse us.

Top Bottom