• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jade Empire $20

hows the battle system in Jade empire

is it similar to KoToR, cause that was what put me off to the game I just could not stand how the battle system played out, I think I would have liked it more if they went with either full real time like an action adventure game or full choice based like a normal RPG the sort of weird middle ground of the game just didn't mix with me

Tellaerin

Shin Johnpv said:
hows the battle system in Jade empire

is it similar to KoToR, cause that was what put me off to the game I just could not stand how the battle system played out, I think I would have liked it more if they went with either full real time like an action adventure game or full choice based like a normal RPG the sort of weird middle ground of the game just didn't mix with me

It's real time like an action-adventure game. :) You control your character directly, and you're accompanied by one other (computer-controlled) party member. You can either order your AI partner to fight alongside you (the AI's passable) or switch them over to support mode. In support mode, they won't participate directly in the battles (meaning you don't have to worry about protecting them, but they won't be drawing fire for you, either), but they'll 'support' you with some sort of positive status effect during the fight. The effect varies from character to character--depending on who you're with, they can do stuff like slowly healing you, replenishing your chi, boosting attack power, etc. And yes, you can switch your companion in and out of support mode in the middle of a fight. :)

Ironclad

The battle system requires quite a bit of button mashing and doesn't offer up all that much depth outside the harmonic combos but there are enough styles in the game that should keep you interested. The stat portions of the game are rather shallow. There are three main areas of your character that you level up and then you can also funnel experience into your various styles. The main draw of this game for me, and any Bioware game in fact, is the dialogue. Absolutely brilliant and witty dialogue. The setting is a nice change of pace. The bloom lighting gets on my nerves though. So damn overused. Either way, the game is worth $20.

bill0527

Dammit !!!

I was going to sell my copy on ebay this week.

The limited editions were going for $22-$27.

Now I'll be lucky to get $17 for it.

Does Outpost make these price reductions permanent or is it just sale? I could hold off for another week or two.

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
what's the difference between this and the couple million special edition copies floating around for $30?

rather, what makes the special edition special?

Scott

Ash Housewares said:
rather, what makes the special edition special?
The Limited Edition has (ugly) foil boxart, and contains a Bonus Disc with a "Making Of..." feature (produced by G4), an extra playable character (Monk Zeng) with an extra weapon, and I think one more playable demo (but I can't for the life of me remember which game...).

That's it.

Top Bottom