• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January 2014: Year of the Saturn Begins with Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Zwei

aww yeah

K2eH1RZ.jpg

(I really should get the US version of PD1 sometime, just for collecting's sake. The boxart's ugly, but I'm one of those weird people that love the US Saturn case design.)

Going to probably play through PD1 tonight and Zwei tomorrow. Going to try to see if I can unlock the dragon from the first game in Zwei again. (Only ever did that once)

boinx

I have the original Panzer Dragoon for Saturn. It was one of my favorite games for the system, i was pretty young at the time when I played the game though, so i never beat it cause it was pretty difficult and if i remember correctly, when you died you had to start the whole game over again. The OST was fantastic and i get really nostalgic whenever i hear the Main Theme. The art of the game was really cool too, quite unique for the time at least.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Checking in! I will be sure to play through Zwei in Jan. don't have a copy of Panzer Dragoon for some reason.

halfbeast

Banned
ok, tried to hook up my saturn on my led tv at first in the most convoluted way possible and as it turns out, I just have to use my composite cables. so far so good!

I wanted to stream it, but for some reason my hauppauge gaming pvr is losing the signal every 3 seconds. does anybody know how to fix that?

noquarter

Nice OP.

Would love to join in the playrhrough, but boxed my older games and systems up in preparation for moving.

The Panzer series was the first series I bought when I got a Saturn. Really like the cinematic presentation and the soundtracks.

Hard to believe that the Saturn is 20 years old. Still remember when,it launched and being jealous that Japan had a new system and wee would be waiting a year.

Mitsurux

Just last night hooked up my US model 1, going to order a s-video cable, since all i could find was RF (yuck),

Now i just need to go get these games, which i'm embarrased to say that i don't own...

But in the mean time I'll play the demo disc... or play the version on Orta.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I still regret never having played Panzer Dragoon Saga to this day.

Is there any way to experience this game today? Ya know? Without having to find an old Saturn to play it on?
Finding the Saturn won't be a problem. They're rather cheap on eBay.

Finding the game, however.... ouch. Just looked it up on eBay, and someone was selling the case and manual (not the game!) for... $150. -_-

I've only ever played (and adored) Panzer Dragoon Orta. I didn't realize PD was actually in Pandora's Box.

GUESS I SHOULD CHANGE THAT.

big_erk

Finding the Saturn won't be a problem. They're rather cheap on eBay.

Finding the game, however.... ouch. Just looked it up on eBay, and someone was selling the case and manual (not the game!) for... $150. -_-

I have been so tempted to sell my copy on Ebay, but my inner gamer wins out every time. I need to dust off the Saturn and gve it a spin soon. I love the game, bought it on a whim from a Toys R Us clearance bin for around $15.00.

Muffdraul

Panzer Dragoon defined the 32-bit era for me. One day in May 1995, I went from the 16-bit era, playing Super Metroid on my SNES and Sonic & Knuckles on my Sega Genesis, to coming home from the mall with a Sega Saturn and a copy of Panzer Dragoon, setting it up and playing it for the first time. Stepping over the threshold into 32 bits.

The first time I watched the PD intro CG, the first time I flew through that first level... it was literally mind blowing. I've never had another "Wow, so this is the new gen" experience as stark and intense as that since, and I accepted a long time ago that I never will.

IrishNinja

^i never even saw PD back then, and i fondly recall the era - i bet it'dve been a system-seller for me too!

glad this thread got bumped, tonight's my night off so i'm gonna get back to 1 and see where it goes.

Panzer Dragoon defined the 32-bit era for me. One day in May 1995, I went from the 16-bit era, playing Super Metroid on my SNES and Sonic & Knuckles on my Sega Genesis, to coming home from the mall with a Sega Saturn and a copy of Panzer Dragoon, setting it up and playing it for the first time. Stepping over the threshold into 32 bits.

The first time I watched the PD intro CG, the first time I flew through that first level... it was literally mind blowing. I've never had another "Wow, so this is the new gen" experience as stark and intense as that since, and I accepted a long time ago that I never will.

Pretty much my experience, except I also came home with Virtua Fighter and Daytona USA. I was in San Diego at the time and bought the system and those 3 games from a Babbage's or Software Etc (don't remember which one it was) in Horton Plaza, the day the console came out. It's funny because I only bought Panzer Dragoon because there wasn't much of a selection to buy. It turned out to be the best game purchase I have ever made. No game has "Wowed" me since then. Those were some good times.

Reporting in here too!

STGs.jpg

(Ok, just ignore the rest of the swag, I took this pic years ago. You can see, however, Omega Boost, basically the last scream of the PSX, I still remember how magazines were surprised that the game ran at 60fps back then. Darius Gaiden rocks too, hell, the Saturn had so many AWESOME shmups! Did you guys know even freaking EA published a shmup called Sokyuugurentai?)

Remember that thread by Grief about asking SEGA to port some stuff to PC and release it on Steam? (I quite liked the ring of "Project Dream Steam", heh)

Panzer Dragoon already has a PC port but both Zwei and Orta could really get a second life... Although it would depend if they still have the code to do anything.

Either way, yeah, fantastic games with an equally fantastic music. Love the song of the final battle against the guardian dragon in Zwei.

Few final boss themes are actually so soothing and evoking of a massive aerial battle of god-like proportions over the sea.

edit2: Did anyone watch an old games show called Cybernet? That's how I found out about Panzer Dragoon. Fell instantly in love with it.

edit: Was talking to a japanese dev who linked me to this...

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/panze...r-released-could-sega-re-release-it-on-steam/

Oh, man. Where is Grief to re-ignite a more focused Project Dream Steam?

Synth

Either way, yeah, fantastic games with an equally fantastic music. Love the song of the final battle against the guardian dragon in Zwei.

Few final boss themes are actually so soothing and evoking of a massive aerial battle of god-like proportions over the sea.

edit2: Did anyone watch an old games show called Cybernet? That's how I found out about Panzer Dragoon. Fell instantly in love with it.

edit: Was talking to a japanese dev who linked me to this...

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/panze...r-released-could-sega-re-release-it-on-steam/

Oh, man. Where is Grief to re-ignite a more focused Project Dream Steam?

I cannot even begin to tell you how much I love that final boss theme for Zwei. Probably my favourite vgm track ever.

I used to watch Cybernet, that show was awesome, and was the only reason I was aware of the Street Fighter 2 anime when it released. It was pretty much all we had once GamesMaster was gone.

It would be awesome if Sega would release Saga on Steam. I only ever played the first disc (from the Official Saturn Magazine), because my little brother completely screwed us out of a £20 copy they had in CeX, by whining for Virtua Fighter Kids instead. Have never forgiven him, and never will unless he buys me a copy off eBay or something. :(

Khaz

Don't forget guys, Panzer Dragoon Zwei is one of the few Saturn games that can be played widescreen! There's an option ingame to render the game letterboxed (hor+) and your widescreen CRT TV should have an option to zoom in.

As soon as my very special parcel is here i'll play with you ;)

Khaz

898779979_1366386934.jpg

What is this?

The Sega Saturn is probably my favorite console of all time but I have never seen this.

It's a Pluto, a saturn prototype with built-in netlink, it was rumoured for years but the real stuff was only found last year. Only two are known.

Trojan X

Banned
Look at what I found collecting dust in the basement...

2d6r.jpg

d70h.jpg

0e4m.jpg

rn14.jpg

and I'm an idiot for not taking care of it because my PDS somehow got wet and 3/4 of the discs had some mold on them. What were literally scratch/spotless discs before now has some crap of them that I can't seem to clean off. Not sure if they even work now since I've misplaced the power cord to the Saturn somewhere and can't find it. The manual is all dried up and the pages are all stuck together, I can't even turn them lol. Really sucks since nothing else in the box got wet. Oh well, gonna look for the power cord later and test the game then. Hopefully, they still work.

Anyway, I had waaaaaay more Saturn games than what is shown here which I sold off in 2000. Had import gems like X-Men Vs Street Fighter, Marvel Vs Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Ikaruga, Strikers 1945 II, and Radiant Silvergun. I sold each for around $50 (maybe more or less, can't remember) at the time because I needed the money. I don't really regret selling them other than the fact that I probably could've got more money for each.

I also sold off a bulk of US games, maybe 20 or so games for a mere $50. Off the top I can remember getting rid of Virtua Fighter 1, Daytona USA, Toshinden, Night Warriors, Virtua Cop 2, Mr Bones, Fighter's Megamix, Guardian Heroes, Area 51, Dark Savior, Last Bronx, Mortal Kombat 2, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Quake, and a few others that I can't remember. Probably could've gotten more money from some of those individually but again, at the time I needed the money and just threw them together to get paid quickly.

I also owned and sold the US versions of Shining Force III and Burning Rangers. I remember being bummed out for giving up SFIII because I loved the game and played through it many times, but I knew we'd never see scenario II and III in the US, so ultimately ended up selling it off. Got paid a good amount for it, though. As for Burning Rangers, thought the game was a piece of shit and to this day I don't see the appeal. Sure, it does a lot (graphically) on the Saturn that's never been done before, but at the same time it runs like shit and many of the effects still look like turd. Aside from that, the game just wasn't any fun, so I didn't mind letting go of that one at all.

Also as you can see, I own most of the Netlink games and the peripheral itself. Played a lot of Bomberman and Duke Nukem 3D (both of which I still own) over Netlink and can still recall a lot of good times with it. Overall, even if the system did flop I would say it's up there being my favorite right next to XBOX 360.

:( I had to sell my Sega Saturn with Panzer Dragoon Saga when I was really down with money. Managed to sell my Panzer Dragoon Saga for over £180... I miss that game so much.

IrishNinja

#YearoftheSaturn - Panzer Dragoon complete! kinda...

...well okay i used the action replay i had on hand, but only cause the 4th ep boss or so was troubling me and i really wanted to keep going & see what the game had in store...the next boss (the one in the tunnel) took fuckin forever so i clearly have to work on that pattern.

looking again, i don'd think this would've knocked my socks off in '95 the same way Mario 64 did in '96, where much of that effect was the feel of playing something that was familiar in 2D remade into 3D, in a way that felt crazy impressive at the time (even with camera control issues). Panzer, on the other hand, would've/did feel totally alien to most things, not just because it's a new IP (on-rails SHMUPs weren't fresh off the block at that point) but the entire ambiance/environment was so unique that i wouldn'tve had much of anything to compare it to. likewise with the gameplay, i think it was the 2nd or 3rd world boss (desert one) that started fucking my shit up because i wasn't watching the radar and for some reason it hadn't entirely clicked that this was a large scaled three-dimensional battle, so i could be trading shots (and counter-shots to stop attacks, natch) with the boss & actually have enemies creep up behind/flanking me just to buck off their own shots or kamikaze me; that's something pretty cool even today but i can't imagine what that would've done to my mind in the mid-90's.

I'm gonna get back to trying to beat the boss of the jungle level in Zwei now, but i'm really impressed here - not only was this an early 32-bit/3D gen game with what some on here would wrongly call big ugly polygons, it was a fucking launch title and still managed to impress nearly 2 decades later.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The JP manual for this game is an odd one... It's a fold-out poster with the instructions printed on the reverse side.

Going to give this game an honest effort for the first time later today.

Muffdraul

Pretty much my experience, except I also came home with Virtua Fighter and Daytona USA. I was in San Diego at the time and bought the system and those 3 games from a Babbage's or Software Etc (don't remember which one it was) in Horton Plaza, the day the console came out. It's funny because I only bought Panzer Dragoon because there wasn't much of a selection to buy. It turned out to be the best game purchase I have ever made. No game has "Wowed" me since then. Those were some good times.

There is definitely something to be said for the days when a new game was coming out, and all you had to go on was a few tiny screenshots in EGM or GamePro, and a tiny one-paragraph preview. No videos on the interwebs, no demos, nothing. You bought a new game with a lick and a promise, and you hoped for the best. And when you hit the jackpot, you felt it.

Sixfortyfive

Two stages in and I wish I was playing Sin & Punishment instead.

I just don't think I take well to rail shooters in general. At least when it comes to those without auto-fire, anyway.

ss_lemonade

Zwei was incredible. Trying to unlock all the dragon forms and finding all the branching paths was all I did back then when we had the game.

Bog

Junior Ace
Been on a Saturn kick lately (replaced the internal battery finally over the weekend). Not in the mood for PD/PDZ but I'd be interested in a PDS playthrough.

I only use original hardware and software over an XRGB Framemeister, keeping it as close to authentic as I can without taking up room with a huge CRT. I was streaming some Radiant Silvergun and Dragon Force last week. Never realized just how boring DF probably is for people watching. Great game to play, obviously, though.

Sixfortyfive

Man, Zwei is a considerable step up right out of the gate, especially performance wise. 16:9 and a decent framerate helps a lot.

Might hold onto this one.

IrishNinja

The JP manual for this game is an odd one... It's a fold-out poster with the instructions printed on the reverse side.

Going to give this game an honest effort for the first time later today.

oh yeah? what's the poster look like, is it the regular cover art? that'd be pretty cool if it's a decent size!

There is definitely something to be said for the days when a new game was coming out, and all you had to go on was a few tiny screenshots in EGM or GamePro, and a tiny one-paragraph preview. No videos on the interwebs, no demos, nothing. You bought a new game with a lick and a promise, and you hoped for the best. And when you hit the jackpot, you felt it.

so much this - i had my share of stinkers but the gamble for something amazing always felt incredible when it payed off - especially up front, but sometimes later when the game'd click with you as well

Two stages in and I wish I was playing Sin & Punishment instead.

I just don't think I take well to rail shooters in general. At least when it comes to those without auto-fire, anyway.

ehh i thought that at first, but given the Rez-like recticle shooting thing of holding down the button to aim, it woudln't work as well. sure there's times you're flooded and just bucking off shots (i use my virtua stick here for another button on auto) but that's not as often.

Man, Zwei is a considerable step up right out of the gate, especially performance wise. 16:9 and a decent framerate helps a lot.

Might hold onto this one.

oh yeah, Zwei is a huge jump over 1, but again for a launch title, i really think 1's no slouch.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Love this series, and own (and have beaten) Zwei/Orta/Saga. Still have yet to play #1. Now I wouldn't say rail shooters are my favorite genre, but the PD series, the Sin and Punishment series, and Rez rank as some of my all-time favorite games.

I beat Zwei for the first time last year... the boss of stage 4 was always a toughie for me, other than him though the game wasn't too challenging (then again I played just to beat the game, not for rank)... cool game but I still prefer Orta.

Orta though, some of the later levels are simply jawdropping. And the series music is another standout, it's vaguely reminiscent of that new age/worldbeat stuff that was so popular in the 90's, but with a style and originality unparalleled in the rest of gaming.

Played Crimson Dragon recently and was really disappointed. While the game looks gorgeous, the dragon felt way too heavy and I hate all the superfluous stuff like leveling up and the blatant, in your face story (not to mention the microtransactions!). It was one of the very few next-gen titles that looked interesting to me so that's a shame...

gnomed

Saturn circle jerk, eh. Never owned one myself, but spent a summer with one from a friend. Love the industrial like look of it over the psx Fisher price toy material.

RyudBoy

An update on my PDS. The second disc works fine, it's my Saturn that's broken. I tried several games and most of them loaded with no problem but would stop reading during gameplay, then kick me back to the launch menu. I had a similar problem with my first Saturn that I got modded to play imports. It just stopped reading discs entirely. Oh well, always good and bad news. Now to hunt down a new Saturn and 3D controller.

IrishNinja

didn't get any real time in tonight sadly, but ive got several weekends left this month for Zwei. i think i'll follow some of ya'lls lead and get into Orta at the tail end of january as well, been meaning to spend more time with that one.

An update on my PDS. The second disc works fine, it's my Saturn that's broken. I tried several games and most of them loaded with no problem but would stop reading during gameplay, then kick me back to the launch menu. I had a similar problem with my first Saturn that I got modded to play imports. It just stopped reading discs entirely. Oh well, always good and bad news. Now to hunt down a new Saturn and 3D controller.

this happened to me once too man, it's a thing with some ribbon & the disc drive or some such i forget...it just stops reading discs. it's not a complicated/expensive fix as i was told by my modder anyway!

Sorry for the quality, I have no better camera.

nice! when i've got more space for a proper sega display, this one's getting bought & framed. it's hard to find quality stuff from that era...on a somewhat related note, i just barely missed a promo NiGHTS pillowcase thing a few weeks back, gotta keep an eye out for stuff like that, i totally never knew it existed!

RyudBoy

this happened to me once too man, it's a thing with some ribbon & the disc drive or some such i forget...it just stops reading discs. it's not a complicated/expensive fix as i was told by my modder anyway!

Oh that's good to hear. I'll Google a fix and see if I can do it myself when I get the chance.

I remember when my Dreamcast broke and I went out and bought a new one, then it also broke a few days later and I was like WTF? Turns out there was a problem with the controller port that would fry whenever I'd use a 3rd party VMU card. So I found a solution online and was able to fix it myself. Had to do some soldering for the first time ever.

Anyway, stupid unreliable Sega hardware, man.

cj_iwakura

Unreliable? My Saturn is going on 18 years strong!

And sadly I've never played Zwei, just Orta and the OG via the unlock.

Orta remains my favorite.

I spent entirely too much time playing Panzer Dragoon, I really loved this game and the Sega Saturn. My launch Saturn is still kicking and at this moment, begging me to turn it on.. ;)

Threads like this always make me think of this video, Saturn was a beast.

Ramune

I spent entirely too much time playing Panzer Dragoon, I really loved this game and the Sega Saturn. My launch Saturn is still kicking and at this moment, begging me to turn it on.. ;)

You know what to do then? ;)

Episode 4 seems to be where I reach my limit atm. But it's finally the weekend, and I'm gonna make sure this Dragon gets to that tower Gundamnit! XD

Threads like this always make me think of this video, Saturn was a beast.

*Sniff* This console sure has a lot of heart doesn't it?

Top Bottom