• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 1 - 7 August

DSXBoy

Sony is doomed!!! They're losing a fortune on hardware sales, software sales are too low to recover those losses.
Remember when the PSP lovers on GAF said DS will die in Japan once PSP is launched. WHY DIDN'T THIS HAPPEN? :lol

heidern

gamewhooper said:
What the fuck? Those numbers were made up?
Yep, my prediction numbers were as made up as the prediction numbers posted in the previous half a dozen posts :p

Jonnyram said:
I now feel truly complete. :lol Oh and I just love the last comment of that topic:
lawl, that's what you get for refreshing GAF all the time topiX creator.

cvxfreak

gamewhooper said:
It's bad enough I already said they were from July 1-7.

:( I miss when jonny used to do them (or was it daveinjapan?)

jonnyram.

That was back in the day M Create charts came out a day early from Bloomberg. =(

heidern

I miss the good old days when Ki/oon used to break the Famitsu hardware data. Oh well, I did find some interesting numbers at Gamescience:

Hardware
platform 2004 Q1-Q2 sales 2003 Q1-Q2 sales sold
2 Gameboy Advance SP 1,295,460 1,279,689
4 Gameboy Advance 158,516 895,879

Looks like Nintendo's handheld sales have increased significantly over last year. Still a bit off the highs of the year before. The handheld market overall though is way bigger than even 2003 now with the psp, GBA and DS selling around 3 million combined in the first half of this year.

Jonnyram

DS about 43000
PSP about 20000

Some rough totals from 2ch:
PSP Tenchu 39,000
PSP Yarudora Double Cast 6500
PSP Yarudora Sampaguita 1400
PSP Mimibukuro 4000
PSP Mercury 3000

DS Ouendan 23000
DS Caduceus 7500
DS Pac'n'roll 4000
DS Goemon 22000

PS2 Twinkle Star Sprites 5000

GC Power Pro 12 55000
GC DDR Mario 40000
GC Chibi Robo 76000

jgkspsx

Not bad:
Jonnyram said:
DS Ouendan 23000
GC Chibi Robo 76000
Ouendan will probably keep selling reasonably decently if word of mouth in the general public is half as good as it is here. Chibi Robo wasn't that major an investment and I think lifetime sales of ~180K across all regions will make it well worthwhile for Nintendo.

Bad:
DS Caduceus 7500
Poor Atlus. I hope this does better in the US (but I don't really expect it will). I wonder if they turned a profit on it?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
[Scout] [Niv: 23 Exp: 2232 Evo: 1] [Envoyer un message privé] [Mon Blog]
Posté le 12/08/2005 à 11:04 [En Ligne]

psp will die soon !!ok c du troll facile mais sans rien avoir contre cette chose (car on ne peut pas parler de console) il n'y a pas de jeux dessus (reactions objetcives) a part lumines

[Eloi005] [Niv: 1 Exp: 76 Evo: 1] [Envoyer un message privé] [Mon Blog]
Posté le 12/08/2005 à 11:35 [Hors Ligne]

whoaaa La Nintendo Ds se vends mieux que la PSP et LA PS2......... Par contre niveau jeu ils ont pas les memes gout

[Pesman] [Niv: 59 Exp: 5758 Evo: 2] [Envoyer un message privé] [Mon Blog]
Posté le 12/08/2005 à 11:39 [Hors Ligne]

c'est finalement pas une grosse semaine pour les console, j'aurais pensé que la GC et la PS2 se vendraient plus que ça !!! Mais la semaine prochaine, la DS va cartonner.

[Yusuzuki] [Niv: 2 Exp: 171 Evo: 1] [Envoyer un message privé] [Mon Blog]
Posté le 12/08/2005 à 11:53 [Hors Ligne]

Le top hardware c'est pas vrai. Jeux France a copié de top de quelques forums americaines. Quel professionels ¬¬

[Lover] [Niv: 14 Exp: 1364 Evo: 1] [Envoyer un message privé] [Mon Blog]
Posté le 12/08/2005 à 11:59 [En Ligne]

Je suis sidéré,comment fait NINTENDO pour vendre autant de DS,avec de tels jeux?

Uh-oh looks like someone caught on. Can we get a translation? They got over 50 comments from derns fake numbers thinking they're legit.

You silly americaines.

EDIT: Damn, those french guys were doggin out the PSP pretty bad and the system isn't even out yet in Europe.

Culex

Banned
I figured sales would have gone up this week for the DS, and apparently I was wrong.

Maybe JSS won't be the big hardware push we all think it should be?

fresquito

I wonder if JSS will affect in any way the more traditional software that didn´t sell very well. I think the regular consumer of a game such as JSS maybe will be interested in acquiring games like Goemon or FWDS after purchasing a new DS, may we see a come back from those games? :-/

I was expecting DS numbers to drop into the low 30s in anticipation of JSS and the new colour. The previous weeks before a new colour launch saw a noticible decline, dropped to about 20k on both occasions.

jarrod

Banned
Rock_Man said:
Power Pro Kun Pocket 5 (GBA) did over 230k in 2003 and Naruto RPG (GBA) over 130k in 2004. Also, Fullmetal Alchemist: Meisou no Rondo (GBA) sold more than 130k last year.
Power Pro Kun Pocket is a different series than Power Pocket Koushien. When Power Pro Kun Pocket 8 comes out on DS (with online play!), then you can bemoan it if it fails to hit 200k.

What were first week sales for Naruto RPG 1-2 and FMA GBA btw?

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Netrunner2k2 said:
M-Create.com has this:

DS 43,665
PS2 34,057
PSP 20,571
GBASP 12,107
GC 4,445
GBA 419
Xbox 228

GC bump wasn't as big as most people thought it would be. A little less than double of last week.

Culex said:
I figured sales would have gone up this week for the DS, and apparently I was wrong.

Aehm, what? JSS and a new color is out directly after these numbers and you expected them to go up!? I would say the DS sells freaking crazy good! 43k(more then 2 times the PSP sales) just directly before the probably biggest seller in its first week and a new color - yeah, Nintendo is definitely doomed :D

DSXBoy

Market Share

PlayStation 2 29.49%
PSP 17.81%
GameCube 3.85%
Game Boy Advance 0.36%
Game Boy Advance SP 10.48%
Nintendo DS 37.81%
Xbox 0.20%
Total 100.00%

:D

mj1108

Culex said:

JSS released on 8/8. Wait for the next numbers. :)

Rock_Man

jarrod said:
What were first week sales for Naruto RPG 1-2 and FMA GBA btw?

Naruto RPG (GBA - Tomy) 32,005
DS Naruto RPG 2 Tomy 36,841
FullMetal Alchemist : Sonata of Memories (GBA - Bandai) 30,851

I believe sales of the new Naruto RPG wasn´t that bad after all :p

Besides Winning Eleven and the white PSP, is there anything big on the horizon for the PSP in Japan.

US has Burnout, GTA, Medievil, Socom, Virtua Tennis, Daxter, and alot of other "western" oriented titles, but is there anything big for the land of the rising sun?

Cause the WE & White PSP will be a nice bump for a week or two, but they needs some software pretty badly.

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Besides Winning Eleven and the white PSP, is there anything big on the horizon for the PSP in Japan.
Gran Turismo Mobile and Crisis Core FFVII, but those aren't expected until sometime in 2006. By which time they'll be facing Pokemon Diamond/Pearl on DS. :/

I think we might see a SNES/Genesis situation play out between DS & PSP... fairly close overall, with specific leads by territory (DS in Japan, PSP in the UK, etc).

heidern

Flakster99 said:
Bah heidern, you goob! No beer for you!

It's a good thing I don't drink. In fact judging by activity on a certain French website I imagine I'd be banned from a summer booze cruise for my innocent misdemeanour. And yes, for the insightful among you, their assumption of me being 'americaines' is as accurate as the assumption my numbers were actual sales and not predictions.

I especially like this google translation of a comment :D :
F.U.J.F. said:
yes the figures were false as what gaf becomes a poor forum once more or more and more from people come poster from the conneries. And why I have took again it? because usually the figures are on two forums before the site of media create and are always true, but today crafty one wanted to have fun.

sonycowboy said:

Not really. They've got stuff like Gundam, Naruto and One Piece scheduled, which are all solid. But those are more filler rather being something to really spark the psp into life. It's also compounded that these licenses are out or scheduled for the DS, and something like JSS will make the DS the choice for anime fans.

The problem for Sony, is that "console ports" like Dynasty Warriors and Hot Shots have a stunted impact which will also probably hold true for something like Winning Eleven. On the other hand investing in high quality original psp games is not really viable. Sony really need to pull something out of the bag, I really think Sony are in danger of software drying up entirely and the psp being totally smashed.

I can do charts if requested, but for now I'll just point out what seems interesting.

One of the stats I keep track of that isn't common to see is "weeks owned", or "months owned" for NPD, where basically each new period the people who owned the system previously add 1 week apiece, and the new owners on average get 0.5 weeks apiece. Mostly as a way to see how often the average ownership of a system has purchased a game, in I think a better way than just looking at tie ratios based on a given week or the current total. Anyway, it looks like with this last week's numbers PSP has crossed the halfway mark to DS. PSP total weeks ownership: 36,914,101. DS total weeks ownership: 70,968,061.

Relatedly, the average PSP owner has had their system 23.3 weeks to the average DS owner's 25.6 weeks.

Year to date, tracked console sales have been 1,401,928 compared to 2,842,743 for portables.

Year to date shares among all tracked systems:
DS: 30.13%
PS2: 29.50%
PSP: 25.95%
GBASP: 10.52%
GCN: 3.31%
GBA: 0.37%
XB: 0.21%

Top Bottom