• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese government gives permission to name kids "Buttocks" or "Prostitute"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Okay - I won't get into the government being involved in kids names because that's a cultural thing but if you're going to control people's name choices - why oh why would you make prostitute acceptable?

belgurdo

Banned
Phoenix said:
Okay - I won't get into the government being involved in kids names because that's a cultural thing but if you're going to control people's name choices - why oh why would you make prostitute acceptable?

Gotta find some way to bring about more angles in hentai doujins

pnjtony

But this week, the ministry said public pressure had forced it to withdraw nine of the most controversial characters, including "Rape", "Excrement" and "Cancer".

I could read this article all day long

SKluck

Banned
The thing I never got about foreign language names is that they typically mean something. So does that mean you are effectively calling your child that?

"Hey Flower Child, dinner is ready."
"Flower Child, did you do your homework?"

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
The key point :

"A language review panel working for the ministry had initially decided that it was not its place to make moral judgments on characters - instead leaving it up to parents to exercise their own common sense."

Certain Kanji (mainly NGUs i assume?) weren't to be used as part of a name, now they can be.

Hands up if you think ANYONE in Japan will be stupid enough to rush out and call their kid "small prostitute" , "Hairy Cock Pole" or anything else ridiculous ?

The difference now is that if some family wishes to subject their child to being called something stupid, resulting in years of bullying and a repressed hatred of their parents that eventually culminates in their bloody demise, then that door is now open! ;)

belgurdo

Banned
SKluck said:
The thing I never got about foreign language names is that they typically mean something. So does that mean you are effectively calling your child that?

"Hey Flower Child, dinner is ready."
"Flower Child, did you do your homework?"

Yeah, in the same way that Anglo names tend to be derived from words or phrases of old languages, but people just see them as names instead of concepts or titles (some Japanese names used to be given out as titles or rewards back in the feudal days, however, since only samurai had family names)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom