• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Japanese Government Could Change Cosplay Forever

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Currently, anyone in Japan is free to dress as their favorite characters. But it might not stay free for them to do so. The Japanese government is proposing big copyright law changes for those who make money from cosplaying—and possibly, even for those who don’t.

As writer and translator Matt Alt points out, the Japanese government is currently considering changing the country’s copyright laws, so that professional cosplayers would pay for use of characters.

Cosplay can be big business. Japan’s most successful professional cosplay Enako (pictured) has made over $90,000 a month from public appearances, merchandise, photobooks, chat sessions, and endorsements. Other cosplayers also earn cash for selling photos or clips of them dressed as famous characters. Creators don’t currently get a cut, and the amendment would change this. Moreover, it’s suggested that a standardized set of rules would help avoid any trouble with creators.

According to Kyodo News, Japanese copyright law is unclear but points out that cosplay done without a profit motive is not necessarily infringement. So, for many cosplayers in Japan, things will probably not change. However, Kyodo News adds that even uploading cosplay photos to social networking sites like Instagram could be considered copyright infringement. If so, the effects would be felt throughout the cosplay community.

On Twitter (via SoraNews), Enako discussed the issue, explaining that when she goes on television or appears at paid events, she dresses as original characters to avoid copyright infringement. Moreover, she adds that she also gets permission when she cosplays as characters created by others.

Enako, who is a Cool Japan ambassador, has discussed the possible changes with the Japanese government but wrote that she personally had not heard that uploading cosplay photos to social-networking sites could violate copyright.

They are joking no?
Well, I guess we will be having "government" or "corporation" approved cosplayers lol

Last edited:

Soodanim

Wanting a bit of kick back from professional cosplayers makes sense, but punishing people who just want to have fun and upload to social media would surely be a negative move for both cosplayers and creators.

theclaw135

Banned
Highly circumstantial. There are ways for cosplayers to intrude on a character's commercial likeness or public image.
For instance selling large amounts of merchandise, an overwhelmingly derogatory portrayal, etc.

Fbh

Seems silly, if someone highly popular is doing free advertising for my brand I'll gladly take it instead of trying to scare them away with lawsuits and fees.
Hell it's even better than a paid sponsor because if they screw up or are involved in some scandal you can just be like "we don't really have any ties to this person"

Then again I don't really care. Though if they really go after not only professionals but just fans having fun it seems stupid as hell. "Please don't enjoy our brand"

Aenima

Soon...

k6jjl.jpg

Does anyone of you have some of that cosplay?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Seeing the cosplays in Japan are wonderful in most cases, and well partly I support the people who do them.

Who I totally repudiate is the Streamers and the Youtubers.

I would put Streamers and Youtubers to work, which is what they should do, not be lazy people who don't know how is work.

Wait, so are they also going to legislate against impersonators, parody, tribute bands, fanart etc?

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I feel like the bad guy here but profiting off of copyrighted material that you don’t own has always been illegal in most places.

This kinda feels like the laws catching up to new monetization paradigms via social media. There’s definitely a point where things go from the concept of fair use by a simple fan to “I’m making a living using this imagery”.

Kotaku: Big law changes in Japan

Reality:
The government is not planning to revise the copyright law as it fears stricter regulations would drive people away from cosplay. Instead, it plans to share specific examples of situations in which cosplayers may be asked to pay copyright fees to enhance awareness.

This will most likely not even affect ero cosplayers selling ROMs on Fantia and Booth.

Top Bottom