• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan's population to shrink by a third by 2065

Status
Not open for further replies.
Japan’s population is expected to shrink by nearly a third within 50 years, according to new figures highlighting the nation’s demographic crisis.

The number of people is predicted to tumble from just over 127 million in 2015 to 88 million in 2065, dropping further to 51 million by 2115.

The new figures, updated every five years by the health ministry, are likely to put further pressure on the Japanese government as it deals with a shrinking workforce and soaring pension demand.

Solutions to the demographic issues facing Japan appear to have eluded politicians for decades despite a string of policies designed to boost birthrates and stem the shrinkage.

Source.

Those numbers are insane.

What's also nuts is that older Japanese folk are holding back pro-LGBT legislation from passing because they think it'll contribute to population decline.

Those numbers are insane.

What's also nuts is that older Japanese folk are holding back pro-LGBT legislation from passing because they think it'll contribute to population decline.

Do they think without gay marriage that LGBT people just go "welp guess I'll procreate in a heteronormative relationship now"

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That would be economically devastating, with effects not yet seen in a modern economy.

TheChaos0

This is something that is happening across the developed world but generally offset by immigration, something Japan lacks.

Steejee

Guess they'll open up to immigration one way or another.

Honestly it would be nice if everybody's population shrunk by a third by 2065 - that would be a massive help to the environment.

Do they think without gay marriage that LGBT people just go "welp guess I'll procreate in a heteronormative relationship now"

Why do you think Sailor Moon rejected Sailor Uranus' advances?

latest

Tadaima

No.

The real solution is better work life balance. There are many young and single people, but not enough opportunities to nurture relationships.

Cipherr

Honestly it would be nice if everybody's population shrunk by a third by 2065 - that would be a massive help to the environment.

Yep. It has to happen some time. Can't put it off forever. Over the next 60 years their population is going to take huge hits man. Time to stop pretending you don't know of a 'solution'.

kmag

That would be economically devastating, with effects not yet seen in a modern economy.

It's coming to most of the other modern economies though. Immigration is probably the best interim solution (mostly because 1st and 2nd generation immigrants tend to have more children) but ultimately 'Western' countries populations are going to top out in the next 20 years.

Immigration alone won't arrest a decline that steep. Birth rates need to go up to replacement level *and* immigration needs to be boosted.

Viewt

What does this mean?

It's a reference to an episode of Seinfeld where George has been swimming in a pool, and then undresses to get changed. A woman walks in on him and sees his (presumably small) dick. He yells "I was in the pool! I was in the pool!" at her to assure her that it was the pool that shrunk his penis, and that this wasn't representative of his usual size.

Basically, it's a gag on the population "shrink" in the thread title.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Are Japanese people unwelcoming to american immigrants? I honestly know very little about the culture, but always hear about game lovers wanting to move there.

No.

The real solution is better work life balance. There are many young and single people, but not enough opportunities to nurture relationships.

Birth rates are below replacement level in every post industrial country in the world. Japan is not a special case in this regard

kiri

Looking forward to their visa-restrictions being relaxed - then I'll be back.

I have a feeling that post-Olympics, there will be a push towards opening up the country more. There have already been steps made in Fukuoka.

They need pensions to pay for themselves, so the burden is not on younger people. Plus having houses and such be self reliant, so recycling, solar, etc. If we move on from the need for constant growth, this stuff won't be such a large problem. And every country will be challenged with this. We use immigration now in the US and Europe, but that will dry up sometime when other nations continue catching up with their living standards.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
There will be an inverse correlation. The dog population will go up.

Breed Trojita, breed!

Mathieran

Banned

This. We could use a worldwide population decrease. 33% would be great.

Related:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/04/05/national/1-4-japanese-men-still-unmarried-age-50-report/

Nearly 1 in 4 men and 1 in 7 women in Japan were yet to be married at age 50 in 2015 in a clear sign that Japanese are increasingly shying away from tying the knot, a government report has showed.

The data, which excludes people who were divorced or separated by the death of a spouse by age 50, is released every five years based on a national census.

Kitamura said the country needed policies for “stabilizing employment and arranging an environment in which both men and women can work while raising children.”

Roughly 40 percent of Japan’s labor force comprises temporary workers, making unstable employment conditions more common than decades ago.

Another survey released by the governmental institute last year showed most unmarried people wanted to get married, but many cited a lack of finances as an obstacle.

In that survey, which targeted people aged 18 to 34, 86 percent of male respondents and 89 percent of female respondents said they hoped to eventually get married, while more than 40 percent said ensuring they had money for marriage was a hurdle they needed to overcome.

tokkun

Maybe, maybe not. People are living longer, so the shrink is occurring in the younger demographics. Shrinking those voting blocs is bound to make governments much more conservative, and probably less responsive on environmental issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom