• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Bezos is the first human with over 100 billion dollars

jason10mm

Gold Member
I don't know much about social studies and the like, so I ask this in earnest. How is Bezos having $100b good for American citizens?

Well, he spends a chunk of it on space exploration/exploitation technology, that could benefit all of us immensely. He pushes a lot of technological boundaries and is one of the few companies that could push a major initiative through to completion, like drone deliveries, robotic trucks, stuff like that.

He should buy his own country and fill it with cloned wooly mammoths, then resell the dead ones to Japan to eat.

100billion becomes 1trillion

Ubername

Banned
People get so bonered up in conversation about stocks and shit concerning Amazon/bezos. Seriously it's like the dick riders alliance whenever this guy comes up lol. I mean he's rich yea but that's not to say it wouldn't have been someone else had he not been there to fill that void. Interesting to know that he was a billionaire way before all this shit blew up though, apparently in '99 he was already rolling in the $t@x.

Dunki

I don't know much about social studies and the like, so I ask this in earnest. How is Bezos having $100b good for American citizens?

Successful Businesses will also mean expansion which means also more jobs for people. I do not know where he sits and how many buildings etc he has in the US but expansion is always good. Also there is the big deal of technical progress which can also help society overall.

He does not have billions of dollars.

He owns shares of his own company - an intangible asset whose value is based on demand.

It's like owning the Mona Lisa - it doesn't mean you have money to throw around unless you sell the painting, in which case some other schmuck would forfeit millions of dollars for pigment on canvas instead of going on a spending spree and boosting aggregate demand.

Exactly, assets and "worth".

Trogdor1123

Why would someone want so much money?

Im pretty sure most people could have everything money can buy for them when they hit $1 billion.

Its stuff like this that makes me think there must be an apocalyptic event happening soon and the billionaires are saving up because to survive is $25 billion a ticket.

Why else would they need such vast sums of money?
It has nothing to do with the money at all, it has to do with the things you envision doing with the money.

n0razi

Why would someone want so much money?

Im pretty sure most people could have everything money can buy for them when they hit $1 billion.

You gotta understand that guys like Bezos and Musk don't want to sit around and have a plush retirement and play games all day. You only need a couple million or so to do that.

They want billions because they want to build vast empires, send multi million dollar rocket ships to Mars, have their name slapped on every product that every human uses.

Youre thinking way too small

Grinchy

Banned
This is what it looks like when hard work and ingenuity pays off. No surprise there's a ton of jealousy surrounding that.

Ide88

Neo Member
Oh, he didn't work hard when he started Amazon out of his garage? That's interesting.

A slave owner works hard taking risks to bring slaves from Africa to work on a plantation. Therefore he deserves all the profits. A rapist works hard stalking a 4 year old girl for months before kidnapping her and making her a sex slave, he worked hard to obtain the sex slave, therefore he's entitled to rape the girl.

Just because you work hard or take a risk doesn't mean what you are doing is right.

Also Amazon genuinely treat their workers like shit, but it's okay because Jeff Bezos worked hard in his garage.

He also has more money than the GDP of certain countries, you really think he worked that much harder than all those people?

A slave owner works hard taking risks to bring slaves from Africa to work on a plantation. Therefore he deserves all the profits. A rapist works hard stalking a 4 year old girl for months before kidnapping her and making her a sex slave, he worked hard to obtain the sex slave, therefore he's entitled to rape the girl.

Just because you work hard or take a risk doesn't mean what you are doing is right.

Also Amazon genuinely treat their workers like shit, but it's okay because Jeff Bezos worked hard in his garage.

He also has more money than the GDP of certain countries, you really think he worked that much harder than all those people?

thank you

thought i was going crazy with all the capitalist fellating that was going on itt

Grinchy

Banned
He didn't work hard, the workers he employed worked hard, he exploited them for his own profit.

He has probably been putting in up to 16 hour work days for years to get to where he is. It's a different type of work. Warehouse workers just move things from point A to point B mindlessly.

If a warehouse worker worked his way up the ladder, how high up does he have to get before you decide he never worked hard? It's so foolish to act like people who create giant companies don't work hard just because they're not in a warehouse doing mindless work.

Gitaroo

He has probably been putting in up to 16 hour work days for years to get to where he is. It's a different type of work. Warehouse workers just move things from point A to point B mindlessly.

If a warehouse worker worked his way up the ladder, how high up does he have to get before you decide he never worked hard? It's so foolish to act like people who create giant companies don't work hard just because they're not in a warehouse doing mindless work.

Yup, its like ppl think running business is easy work compare to the guys flipping burgers at mcdicks.

womfalcs3

Banned

QFT.

he's not sharing his money with you, you can stop

TTOOLL

Really? It's not like Amazon has only him as an employee you know.
Also, the amount of tax revenue Amazon generates for the government must be insane.

I didn't say the way Amazon treats its workers is okay. I wouldn't work there as a software engineer, just like I wouldn't work in the games industry. I also don't think he worked harder than *all* those people, but harder than most. Certainly harder than I ever have. It takes an insane amount of work to start and grow a business like that.

Blueingreen

Nah, he just has to babysit a business, all it's employees, try to make it a workable environment, make the investors, business partners, and stores happy and make sure everyone gets paid. His job is sooooooo easy and he shouldn't be making that much money off of the success from the business he runs.

I was speaking from an ethical viewpoint, in my opinion ofcourse.

Yes I do. More people benefited from his hard work as well.

Top Bottom