• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple secretly demoed it's VR headset to the top 100 Executives. $3000 reconfirmed, expecting 1 million sold first year. Little to no profit initially

night13x

So we are going to show off Ipoop after popular demand. All synthetic but very organic. Every apple users will want one for their itoilets. $5000 initial cost and we expect a profit of about 4 million sales in first fiscal year.

Steve Jobs continues to inspire us at apple.

LordOfChaos

I look at this as getting it into developer hands as soon as possible. There's like 30 million registered Apple developers. Selling a $3k headset to like 4% of them shouldn't be a stretch.
This is it. They're not expecting a massive consumer hit here but they need to get it out to get the development ready.

Sorcerer

On top of every other negative, it's not even comfortable to wear. How do they expect to sell 1 millions of these things at $3000? Sounds like a complete disaster.

Elysion

Banned
I still think this 3000$ price is a fake rumor deliberately spread by Apple themselves, like they did with the original iPad. I remember how, prior to its reveal, the iPad was rumored to cost a thousand dollars, but when Apple revealed it, the price for the cheapest model turned out to be 499$. I wouldn’t be surprised if something similar is going on with these rumors about Apple’s VR set.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
If the components is the real reason for the price AND a lack of profit at a price that high, it would have to be insane tech. There would be no other possibility.
I'm guessing either insane optics, or one of their high end M2 chips.
Edit: That or they mean not much profit after covering all their R&D, acquisitions etc.

Last edited:
3k?

Montage Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
This is a developer tool, for those of you who don’t understand the price (it the insane tech and materials in the device).

Consumer version expected 2024/2025 according to Kuo for around $1,500

Call of the mountain isn't really a unique game in VR. Just has better graphics because of the tech. Something like Pavlov would be a better example of something Apple itself couldn't make, unless they have been developing games in the background all this time.

But again, they can just pay third-parties to use their tech, so they don't really need to make anything to be honest.
Isn't that what Amazon, Google and Facebook all tried?

This business is harder to break into than people think.

Fredrik

This is dumb. Uncomfortable, short battery life, $3000. It’s like a concept model launch, can’t believe they think they can sell 1 million units. It’ll be their biggest and most historical flop.

This is a developer tool, for those of you who don’t understand the price (it the insane tech and materials in the device).

At $1500 plus however many thousands of dollars for the other hardware needed this thing better bring me to orgasm every morning while it cooks me breakfast.

I want my eggs over easy with my bacon crispy.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

A million sold sounds like more than just developers.

DrFigs

why do i need a headset to use excel or zoom? i just don't understand what market these companies are trying to tap into.

Last edited:

nashman

Prolly comes with 2 recharable batterys that you swap out for each other every 2-3 hours.

Im more excited for possable software outside of games. Kinda like Meta is starting to do with Xstadium, but better, front row center court at NBA, UFC or on court at the US Open. Would be awesome.

hinch7

$3000 lol. Imagine the accessories prices.. Extra battery thats $200. Earphones $250. Gtfo of here :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Kdad

Seems like a NeoGAF Apple Reality Pro experience still has a chance to be a killer app...$40/month sub fee boyz lets go....

X-Wing

try owning a mac mini , macbook, iphone, apple watch, airpods, homepod , apple tv and smart home compatible stuff like an ebike or car.. it just works.. can't state enough how great it is when you are into it
You see, people who never tried it won’t get it. It’s pointless

I wonder if Apple is gauging developer interest and covering costs to build a library for then a loss leading consumer device at a lower sell price. Probably also searching for that killer app(s), if they haven't struck gold internally.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
VR headsets kind of don't mix with Apple's marketing... I'm more interested how they are going to spin their marketing than the tech itself.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
$3000 and little to no profit? I doubt that, but if true this is going to be an insane step-up from where we are now.
It will be a step up, but welcome to diminishing returns… think of audio, you can easily spend millions in audio equipment for a room but you will not have a million times better experience than someone with a thousand dollars or so Atmos one.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I wonder if Apple is gauging developer interest and covering costs to build a library for then a loss leading consumer device at a lower sell price. Probably also searching for that killer app(s), if they haven't struck gold internally.
I am not sure Apple execs know what a loss leading model is… is it when their profit margins is between 10-25%? 😂

Witchilich

legit point me towards a laptop that is better designed then a macbook m2 pro 14 or 16 inch...
I love Lenovo's Thinkpads and other Lenovo laptops that use a similar form factor and design. They are also very lightweight. I have an Ideapad 5.

Clowns don't laugh. They incite laughter. Apple and its most rabid fans are playing that role masterfully in this case (to be fair, in most cases).
Some of the takes here are completely stupid and garbage as expected. Guy with the original comment was right, it just works (if you use it for the intended purposes and don’t need anything outside of their eco system).

As owning my own IT consultancy company I can confirm there is no match to Apples ecosystem in a professional way. Everything just works, the OS doesn’t feel like an eternal beta and crashes apps constantly like on Android and many more stuff.

Also Apple stuff is not overpriced. It’s just expensive, but you get value in return. The new M2 Max MacBook costs eg 45000kr here in Sweden, if you buy a comparable laptop with a battery that lasts only 1 hour vs more than a whole day and a way inferior screen you pay more than 50000kr here in Sweden.

Now, if you don’t have a lot of money, the cheaper alternatives are not bad at all nowadays, but there is a reason why Apple can charge for their products, it’s just because they’re excellent in general.

Yes, they also make garbage stuff like any other brand, like those 999 wheels or that tv hanger. Ridiculous stuff. But their main products are well worth the money they charge you for it.

On topic: wonder what the headset will be like. It’s either revolutionary seeing the price, or like the 999 wheels.

Thebonehead

Banned
Playstation should seek the bag from Facebook and Apple, and publish all their VR games on their platforms. Easy money.
That's only three games though isn't it?

Call of the mountain, astro bot and gt7.

Everything else is 3rd party already available, apart from the resident evil content.

People discount apple because why? Because they’re not gaming focused? There’s no denying that as expensive as they are apple is a step ahead of everyone on certain fronts.

Steve Jobs is dead though, so who knows if this is truly going to be revolutionary or not

midnightAI

That's only three games though isn't it?

Call of the mountain, astro bot and gt7.

Everything else is 3rd party already available, apart from the resident evil content.
Blood and Truth? WipeOut? Rigs? Dreams? does Drive Club count?

And other exclusives include Farpoint, Until Dawn:Rush of Blood, The Inpatient etc. there are a few.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
If it is 3k I'm interested to see how they pitch it.

If it is 3k with no profit (depending on how they calculate the cost - does it include R&D? How much was spent?), it should be obvious that this is the best thing on the market.

Last edited:

G-DannY

it will sell bonkers even being an overpriced underfeatured thing

because apple

Last edited:
Top Bottom