• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Garlin Removed from The Goldbergs After 'Misconduct': He Said the Word 'Vagina'

ManaByte

I think comparing reasonable behavior on the set of a comedy show to that of an office is ridiculous anyway. You need different environments to produce different things. You can’t stifle inappropriate language when you’re trying to make a funny TV show, for fucks sake.
Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
OMFG "inappropriate jokes". These people can go fuck themselves. They're why comedy is dying.

It appears to be his aggression, interfering with the work of others, and disregarding HR guidelines because I assume he felt special or above them, that people most had a problem with. The jokes are easy to defend, and from what I can tell pretty harmless, which is why he is focusing on them.

tygertrip

It
The firing offense was him walking up to the person that complained and saying "vagina" repeatedly to their face. I think it is pretty juvenile to act that way in what is a professional environment. The other statement was that he was notoriously difficult to work with on set and added a lot of tension. I take the second part with a grain of salt as that is jut personality, but treating a co-worker like he did and antagonizing them is pretty bad.
s one thing to be called a vagina. It’s another to prove it by being offended, lol.

Apparently GAF thinks screaming "VAGINA" in people's faces like a toddler not getting enough attention is the height of comedic talent.

If he was being legitimately funny in a transgressive way, I could get on board the "Oh no cancel culture run AMOK" train, but seems like he was clearly being an obnoxious asshole who was burning bridges on purpose, so who cares. Sounds like he wanted out.

Last edited:

tygertrip

I work in a hospital. Literal life and death. We curse all the time. People talk about their sex lives and laugh about things you can’t even imagine. If someone complained because we used the word “vagina” they would be ostracized. Because in a environment like a hospital, if you’re so fragile that the word vagina gets you worked up, you aren’t fit to work there. A “mature” person doesn’t go to HR because someone used the word vagina.
Someone at my work got ostracized for this very reason. It was extremely mild, she overheard someone making a joke about bouncing balls, lol. People would still talk to her for work stuff, but otherwise wouldn’t talk to her anymore. Then she called HR and complained that people would only talk to her about work stuff. They told her they can’t force people to be friends with her. They did ask people about it, and everyone told them they were scared to talk to her, because she gets offended so easy. HR said they understood, and as long as they communicated with her regarding work stuff, that that was OK. This is the condensed version, the full story is pretty funny. She is quite the LOLcow!

Apparently GAF thinks screaming "VAGINA" in people's faces like a toddler not getting enough attention is the height of comedic talent.

If he was being legitimately funny in a transgressive way, I could get on board the "Oh no cancel culture run AMOK" train, but seems like he was clearly being an obnoxious asshole who was burning bridges on purpose, so who cares. Sounds like he wanted out.
So what, you have to be funny in order not to be fired and perceived as legitimate comedy? What about people who dislike or like dark humor? Comedy is so subjective. No one can ultimately say what is or isn't universally funny by definition.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Find it fascinating that everyone defending him is ignoring the fact that he put his hands on a coworkers face to just tell them the word “vagina” over and over.

sorry. That’s being a POS and it is a fireable offense in any company in the world.
Did he do it for no reason or was he retaliating to a bully?

Artoris

Gold Member
From personal experience, a person who complains about word like a vagina is neither soft nor naive but a nasty greasy pole climber
who destroys other people for personal benefit

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
It was a stupid ass complaint.
Stupid ass complaint for sure, but still a complaint. The correct play would have been to file a counter complaint as an above user said.

Retaliating on any complaint no matter how frivelious will automatically be a huge nono.

Stupid ass complaint for sure, but still a complaint. The correct play would have been to file a counter complaint as an above user said.

Retaliating on any complaint no matter how frivelious will automatically be a huge nono.
That’s fair. Although I think the entire HR culture is so broken it’s beyond fixing. You have all these blanket rules to try and standardize human behavior, even across industries. We aren’t all the same. And every complaint really shouldn’t be treated the same.

In a just world, the original complainer in this situation would’ve been told to go find a new job if she can’t handle the word vagina. Instead they “investigate” the star of the show, piss him off, and he gets himself fired. Now I likely would’ve handled it differently, and the reports (likely from people who don’t like him) don’t make him seem like a great dude. But now he gone and all those people will have to find new work. All because some whiny bitch couldn’t ignore a joke she didn’t like.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Can this show even exist without him? Seems like the entire crew just got fired over one persons hurt feelings.

Or is he a side character? Never seen it but seems like this would be Rosanne without Rosanne, which would spell a rating collapse and impending cancellation, right?

ManaByte

Can this show even exist without him? Seems like the entire crew just got fired over one persons hurt feelings.

Or is he a side character? Never seen it but seems like this would be Rosanne without Rosanne, which would spell a rating collapse and impending cancellation, right?

They said he only had a week of work on the 9th season to do and it hasn't been renewed yet.

Stitch

Gold Member
Never seen it but seems like this would be Rosanne without Rosanne, which would spell a rating collapse and impending cancellation, right?
Roseanne without Roseanne is called The Conners and has 4 Seasons...

Last edited:

Hnjohngalt

I knew a Vagina who hated the word Moist. She even quit the job since the word offeneded her so much. Moist. Vagina. Who can find any wrongs with these 2 words.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
That’s fair. Although I think the entire HR culture is so broken it’s beyond fixing. You have all these blanket rules to try and standardize human behavior, even across industries. We aren’t all the same. And every complaint really shouldn’t be treated the same.

In a just world, the original complainer in this situation would’ve been told to go find a new job if she can’t handle the word vagina. Instead they “investigate” the star of the show, piss him off, and he gets himself fired. Now I likely would’ve handled it differently, and the reports (likely from people who don’t like him) don’t make him seem like a great dude. But now he gone and all those people will have to find new work. All because some whiny bitch couldn’t ignore a joke she didn’t like.
Eh, it’s not “all because” of the complainant. Things would also have turned out differently if the “star” man child had responded like an adult.

Last edited:
Comedian reacted to stupidity with comedy. Actually I kinda respect the guy for just fronting up and forcing vagina in her face. See the jokes write themselves.

Kappa

Yea I'm sure thats what happened. Lots of reports of the dude being an asshole so im sure hes super playing it down

Last edited:

Soodanim

I don’t like the idea of the story as was told, but I find it hard to believe that there isn’t more to it than that. The idea that he was simply “Fired for saying vagina” is designed to enrage people, and it’s worked a treat here. I think it’s much more likely that, whether was his intent or not, there was more going on.

That aside, if you call yourself a comedian and your idea of comedy is a repeated variation of “My vagina itches” then you aren’t as good of a comedian as you think you are.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I chuckled at the "joke,"

I had a hearty laugh at him getting booted for it.

I fucking absolutely lost it at the vaginavaginavagina hug.

So many clowns in this story I'm starting to think I'm at It-Con 2021.

MacReady13

The report from deadline said he held the persons head with his hands and repeatedly said Vagina at them. Started with a whisper and got louder and louder.
I'm surprised he is not in jail after this. How DARE he say the anatomically correct word to same fucktard who complained in the 1st place!?! Just another reason why MANY things about today are no way near as good as things were in the 90's and early 2000's.

NickFire

Not in my professional environment. You would get hit with harassment. It isn’t about growing up, it is about having respect for those around you. People that get off in talking about genitalia are not the mature crowd.
You got that completely backwards. All of these type of "issues" are caused by people never growing up, and never respecting anyone but themselves. Well functioning mature adults don't cry and cry over minor unpleasantries until someone gets fired.

The report from deadline said he held the persons head with his hands and repeatedly said Vagina at them. Started with a whisper and got louder and louder.

lmao that's just fucking hilarious.

I'd probably do the same if I found out who got me in trouble with HR over a vagina joke on the set of my own damn show.

Top Bottom