• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Keller estimates Zen5 will have 30% better performance over Zen 4

winjer

Gold Member
During a presentation sponsored by TensTorrent, Jim Keller spoke about the performance of current and future platforms. Including Zen 5.
According to his estimates, Zen 5 will perform 30% better than Zen 4 in SPEC2K17INT.
Although Jim Keller helped design the first Zen architecture and set the roadmap, he no longer works at AMD and is not privy to internal information. So this is merely an estimate.
But considering this is THE Jim Keller, chances are he will not be off the mark by much.
Also consider that SPECInt is a benchmark for integer operations.

Jim Keller's presentation starts at 18:00 minute.
The slide about Zen5 performance is at the 42 minute.

NMs6sew.png

Last edited:

Tsaki

So this graph seems to be an IPC-like metric for integer performance since it has x / Ghz which makes it even more impressive keeping in mind the general increase of clockspeeds every new generation. Of course we should put a pinch of salt on this information since they are expected performance metrics by a 3rd party and not internal AMD documents. Still exciting though.
Edit: Also the TDP is expected to stay the same. Excellent for performance per watt metrics.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Intel will come up with something better.. Can't wait for true next gen cpu's

Jim Keller also has his estimate for Sapphire Rapids. But he estimates that it's significantly slower.
Remember that he also worked at Intel recently. So he has a good grasp of what is to come.

Tg89

When are we expecting these? Trying to upgrade from my 10600...was debating a 7800X3D but might just hold out for these/intels new stuff.

coffinbirth

I mean, didn't this shit leak a week ago?
Without looking, I assume he's just using that data?
I read it was a 20-25% base uptick in performance based on the leaked data.

Or is this something else?

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
When are we expecting these? Trying to upgrade from my 10600...was debating a 7800X3D but might just hold out for these/intels new stuff.
The best thing about AM5 is that it we already know it will support zen5.

We have no release date for zen5, and no idea on the accuracy of Keller's estimates.
If you are in the market for a new CPU soon, just buy the 7800x3d, you can't always be waiting for the next generation of products.

winjer

Gold Member

Probably in late 2024.
Same thing for Intel new CPUs, as they are just releasing a refresh of Raptor Lake in 2023.

So if you get now the 7800X3D, it's probably going to be the top dog for a year and a half.

Top Bottom