• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Stewart returns to The Daily Show to talk about 9/11 First Responders Health Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
He even reunited with the panel that he talked to in 2010
rztik0S.jpg

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jon-ste...vocates-for-911-first-responders-zadroga-act/

Jon Stewart walked away from his role as host of "The Daily Show" only four months ago, but his return to the set Monday night as a guest showed the late night talk veteran's words still carry weight, reports CBS News correspondent Vladimir Duthiers.

Bearded and casually dressed, Stewart returned home, not to check up on the new tenants occupying the house, but to advocate for a cause close to his heart.

"So back in 2010, okay, after far more lobbying than should have ever been necessary, Congress passed what was called the Zadroga Act, funded healthcare for 9/11 first responders who'd gotten sick working at Ground Zero," Steward explained.

But the health care provision of that bill expired in September.

"It's soon going to be out of money. These first responders, many sick with cancers and pulmonary disease, had to travel at their expense to Washington, D.C., hundreds of times to plead for our government to do the right thing," Stewart said.

The 53-year-old comedian said the 9/11 first responders have been forgotten by the politics of Washington.

"So right now there are 67 senators sponsoring the bill, 260 representatives, which even by stupid Senate and House math is more than enough to do this," Stewart said.

For years, Stewart has been a voice for those impacted by the 2001 terror attacks, providing first responders and their families a set of shoulders to stand on. In 2010, Stewart took up their cause, dedicating an entire show to the issue. But five years later, things are visibly different.

"Just out of curiosity, where is everybody?" Stewart asked first responder Kenny Specht, who was sitting next to three empty chairs.

"Just you and I. Five and a half years ago we did a show. Seventy-five percent of the panel is no longer here. Two of the people have illnesses and John Devlin, who sat at the last chair, an operating engineer, passed away since our show," Specht said. "So I think we brought the statistics to show that when we did the show five and a half years ago, four men sat here. It's you and I."

Specht told Stewart that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell gave him his word during a meeting last week that Congress would fully fund those health care benefits. They said the plan is to attach it to a bill that is set for a vote this week. A spokesman for his office told CBS News: "Everyone, Republican and Democrat, House and Senate, is working very hard to get this done. And it will get done."

Part 1:
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/4hfvw...or-noah-jon-stewart-returns-to-shame-congress

Part 2:
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/5xvbo...or-noah-jon-stewart-calls-out-mitch-mcconnell

Yeah, it was a good episode, and it was nice to see Jon. When they got to the "How can we fix this part", as soon as Trevor said "Let's get the old panel back together!" My first thought was "Shit, they're all gonna dead, huh?" I'm glad it wasn't quite as depressing as I anticipated.

Foffy

Banned
The contrasting picture is fucking sobering stuff.

Of all times where "do the right thing" is so basic, American politics finds a way to make it into quantum mechanics being taught to ants.

"They said the plan is to attach it to a bill that is set for a vote this week."

And watch them attach it to something really controversial so it gets killed and each side can blame each other. It should be its own separate bill.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The contrasting picture is fucking sobering stuff.

Of all times where "do the right thing" is so basic, American politics finds a way to make it into quantum mechanics being taught to ants.

It's not even that. I wish it was just American politics as usual but it isn't. It's just two men being total and complete assholes. Two guys, that's it. The votes are there from both sides of the aisle. Should this be unanimous? Yes. Is it? No, but there's enough of a majority that it can easily pass. It's just been two assholes, literally two assholes, preventing anyone from voting on it.

That's probably the worst thing about all this: enough people are willing to do the right thing that this shouldn't be an issue, it just is because the two men in charge of what comes up for a vote decided to be assholes. This should have even needed to be an issue!

Watched the show when I got home from work. Amazing episode but obviously sad at the same time. The look of the first responder on the set by himself gut wrenching stuff.

Loxley

I watched this earlier today, it's absolutely gut-wrenching. Especially when the camera first pans over to the table and you see the three empty chairs ;_;

ColdPizza

Banned
9/11 is still claiming victims. It's horrible. That picture comparison is just gut wrenching for me. I can't even imagine how awful it must be for their family and friends.

Syncytia

It was great to have Jon back, but it was depressing and maddening to have him back for this issue once again.

So disheartening.

Yeah, watching it with the 'panel' and him saying more or less "No, Jon, it's just us, the rest are gone" was just heartbreaking.

It's also very unfortunate that we even need something like this in the first place. And even worse that it can't be implemented permanently.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I watched this earlier today, it's absolutely gut-wrenching. Especially when the camera first pans over to the table and you see the three empty chairs ;_;

I actually thought it was going to be worse when they brought up the panel. I'm glad at least one of them is still around.

Every time this comes up my stomach drops and I feel sick and embarrassed to even live in this country. This never should have had to be a thing in the first place and yet here we are again, for the second time.

Why can't we just do the right thing the first time and be done with it?

Nibiru

Banned
This is really great stuff and needs more press. Really cool of Jon Stewart to choose this as a cause to be passionate about.

You can really see how angry Jon is about all this. I don't blame him for leaving the show, I think to keep your sanity/health you need to have some level of disconnect from the dysfunction that you're lampooning, and I think for Jon it's always been something very personal to him.

Politicians love to point out how much they love first responders or soldiers/veterans during election cycles. But when it comes to voting for the money and programs to support them, they frequently seem nowhere to be found.

Then again, people usually fall for it hook line and sinker every time and keep putting those type of people into office.

Mikey Jr.

Well, hold on.

How did the guy die? Car accident or illness? And from what?

And the 2 other guys. What kind of sick are they? Stomach flu?

The picture is powerful, but I would like some context behind it.

I take it this was from tonight ( or rather last night )?

Well, hold on.

...Hmmm, I'm going to take an educated guess.

They are extremely ill due to health complications linked back to exposure to horribly toxic elements when they were first responders.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well, hold on.

Health complications due to working at ground zero in the immediate aftermath. All four of them were really sick the last time they did this, I was a little surprised that someone was waiting at the table. A lot of first responders got really really fucked up by all the fumes and particles and shit floating around.

December 7th show.

Good ol Mitch and gang are still playing politics with it. The new proposal is to fund it with money taken from medicare which obviously the Dems would object to. It's beyond pathetic that either side needs to play politics on this type of issue.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...adroga-act-plan-dems-object-article-1.2459336

Oh just fuck the lot of them right in the ass. Bunch of total assholes.

jerry113

Banned
If we can't even take care of our bravest and most self-sacrificial, how can we hope to take care of each other....

If we can't even take care of our bravest and most self-sacrificial, how can we hope to take care of each other....

It is absolutely awful, especially when the money is there in droves, but the people with all that money are the same ones calling the shots on what gets passed and what doesn't.

Health care in general in this country is disgusting. These men should be able to walk into any hospital in the nation and get treated, instead they're dying.

dabig2

Politicians love to point out how much they love first responders or soldiers/veterans during election cycles. But when it comes to voting for the money and programs to support them, they frequently seem nowhere to be found.

Then again, people usually fall for it hook line and sinker every time and keep putting those type of people into office.

They're quick and deliberate to lobby for war and send thousands of young men and women overseas to fight in these wars often with poor planning and no strategy, but slow and prodding (at best) in helping the broken and shattered returning from combat. It's a bit disgusting.

Nephtis

My happiness of seeing Stewart again was overshadowed by the heartbreaking picture of the missing 9/11 panelists. I can't believe we are playing politics with this.

As he said, end the fuckery, indeed.

You know what the saddest thing is? You'd think, wow, with 9/11, both sides would work together and make things right by people. Clearly, they didn't.

with Sandy Hook and the many mass killings you'd think, man, maybe I shouldn't care if I'm R or D, people senselessly dying is awful and we should do something about it. Clearly, this isn't happening.

With the Veterans experiencing the hardships they have to endure once they're no longer in service, you'd think -- ok, WE sent these people to war. Let's take care of them! Except... nope.

I would've liked to think that maybe we need a nuclear incident, like a nuke being dropped, or a reactor exploding, to finally get people's heads out of their ass and work together to do right by people. I don't think even that will do it now.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Not to give the Republicans a pass on this, but what was the reason Democrats didn't pass this permanently in 2010 when they had both houses?

dabig2

Not to give the Republicans a pass on this, but what was the reason Democrats didn't pass this permanently in 2010 when they had both houses?

In control of both houses doesn't matter when one side can filibuster. Let's rewind the clock 5 years and see what was going down:

CNN (12/10/11_ - 9/11 responders bill defeated by Senate GOP filibuster

and the only reason we even had this bill the last few years is because the Republicans were literally shamed into supporting it finally:
Senate Passes 9/11 Health Bill as Republicans Back Down

Democrats had to expend a ton of political will just to even get the current version passed back in 2010. They had no chance of a permanent provision with even more money set aside.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Republicans filibustered it.

In control of both houses doesn't matter when one side can filibuster. Let's rewind the clock 5 years and see what was going down:

and the only reason we even had this bill the last few years is because the Republicans were literally shamed into supporting it finally:

Democrats had to expend a ton of political will just to even get the current version passed back in 2010. They had no chance of a permanent provision with even more money set aside.

Well. Screw them, I guess.

Condom

Representative democracy at work, everybody wants a piece of the cake before giving it to the birthday boy

cameron

December 7th show.

Good ol Mitch and gang are still playing politics with it. The new proposal is to fund it with money taken from medicare which obviously the Dems would object to. It's beyond pathetic that either side needs to play politics on this type of issue.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...adroga-act-plan-dems-object-article-1.2459336

Jesus. End the fuckery.

kendrid

Banned
Two weeks ago I went with my son to hear a 9/11 first responder talk about his experience at ground zero. He arrived from Chicago on 9/12.

It was gruesome and at the same time very interesting.

He is a firefighter and he brought up that a lot of the firefighters on the scene end up with cancer and other issues that were outside the levels of normal firefighters. He is still healthy but long term he is concerned. He mentioned that this bill was up for debate but he wouldn't get into it in detail. I thank Steward for bringing this up. These men and women went there to try and save lives and as a result they most likely shortened their own. They deserve support from the government.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Looking from the outside..this is really something where I can't understand how you could be against it. Ffs those people rescued/evacuated citizens in one of the most traumatic experiences the US ever had. Wtf are the politicians doing? How can you leave them alone like that.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This should be passed by itself. Fuck all the games, using it as leverage on other bills, etc.

Stewart should be appearing on someone's show every week until this is passed. Colbert next (since hell, Stewart's an EP there), throw something together for HBO while that whole new deal is still being figured out, Larry Wilmore's show, etc.

Kathian

Banned
It seems to me you should not get special treatment due to where and when you respond. There are others in less prolific tragedies who are no less deserving. It should also not matter if you respond.

Should just be a basic right to healthcare.

It seems to me you should not get special treatment due to where and when you respond. There are others in less prolific tragedies who are no less deserving. It should also not matter if you respond.

Should just be a basic right to healthcare.

No shit, but since this country is full of idiots, the least we could do, is give these people the healthcare they need.

It's like pulling teeth with republicans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom