• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Juiced - Gamespot review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/driving/juiced/review.html

In the end, it's hard to understand what, if anything, the developers of Juiced did with that extra year between publishers. The whole thing feels antiquated to the point of obsolescence, and the few interesting things the game does to try to set itself apart are counteracted by stupid problems that seem like they could easily have been fixed with just a slightly different design philosophy. As it is, there's no shortage of street racing games on consoles, and even on the PC, where the competition is less of a factor, Juiced does very little to impress. Regardless of your platform of choice, Juiced isn't worth your time.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wow, that's very different from the Gamereactor review I read recently (Gamereactor is a big Swedish mag)... two reviewers and both gave it 9/10. Not saying this and that score is right/wrong, but the disparity is definitely big.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
XBOX VERSION

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/624/624534p1.html

7.5 Presentation
The calendar and cell phone calls present the life of a street racer who needs to juggle a busy schedule.
8.0 Graphics
A smooth framerate, some good-looking car models, and a blurry sense of speed are all that the game needs.
7.0 Sound
The soundtrack has a good selection of tunes and the sound effects are well-done, but the characters really need a lot more phrases that can be used in the middle of a race.
6.5 Gameplay
The racing itself is fast-paced and with the exception of some squirrely control and the occasional spin-out it's pretty fun. The world that it lives in is what brings it down.
6.0 Lasting Appeal
With the worry of losing cars and money, the career mode begins to be too much of a reminder of the real world and that's something that a game should never be.
6.8 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

PS2 VERSION

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/624/624299p1.html

7.5 Presentation
The calendar and cell phone calls present the life of a street racer who needs to juggle a busy schedule.
7.5 Graphics
A smooth framerate, some good-looking car models, and a blurry sense of speed are all that the game needs.
7.0 Sound
The soundtrack has a good selection of tunes and the sound effects are well-done, but the characters really need a lot more phrases that can be used in the middle of a race.
6.5 Gameplay
The racing itself is fast-paced and with the exception of some squirrely control and the occasional spin-out it's pretty fun. The world that it lives in is what brings it down.
6.0 Lasting Appeal
With the worry of losing cars and money, the career mode begins to be too much of a reminder of the real world and that's something that a game should never be.
6.5 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

With all of the other racing games that have come out recently it's hard to make a strong argument for Juiced. The street racing genre has had some strong entries recently and what Juiced offers is a career mode that has ideas about respect and making connections, but in the end is a clunky racer where the main gaming mechanic of making money to spend on more races and car parts can easily backfire and put players in a position of struggling to make ends meet. With all of the work put into the other areas it would've been better if the racing itself had been made more interesting to make the core of the game more fun to play so that it would've risen up to being something more than just decent.

That's a shame, it seems the game got better review scores when it was in Acclaim's hands. THQ missed on a great opportunity to have something special...

Ranger X

"oh shit guys, our game is crap"
" i know boss... what should we do now?"
"let's try to make an ad with tities!"

I saw a commercial for it the other night and would have sworn it was for NFSU2. It's such a blantant (and apparantly weak) rip-off of NFSU2, its sad.

Weak NFSU2 + the chrunkity chrunk = Juiced.

Guy LeDouche said:
I saw a commercial for it the other night and would have sworn it was for NFSU2. It's such a blantant (and apparantly weak) rip-off of NFSU2, its sad.

Weak NFSU2 + the chrunkity chrunk = Juiced.
If we have learned anything from Halo 2, it's not to judge a game by it's marketing.

My current judgement rests on the nearly year old demo, which looked good, ran great, and did not play like NFSU.

ram

trust me, pleaed a actually demo and its not worth either.

btw.

juiced got some of the terriblest hud/gui design ever. and the game i not smooth on ps2/xbox, there is small strutter in every race.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I Just saw the commercial for this for the first time so I decided to click on this topic to see how good the game was and, wow, wow. They really tried to make this game seem like the unofficial Fast and Furious street racer in that commercial but those write ups are pretty negative as a whole.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Amused_To_Death said:
That's a shame, it seems the game got better review scores when it was in Acclaim's hands.

which would have been logically impossible, to boot! (unless you're FHM or something)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Cold Shadow said:
I remember seeing a review for this game months ago. Was it delayed in the US or something??
The game was finished and review copies were sent to magazines all around the world but Acclaim collapsed on the very last minute, then THQ picked it up.

The old game was not great but not bad either, I guess I'll have to check this one out.

Be glad Red Star didn't come out. Though it got a decent review in GI....it was a beat em up...and a disgrace to the comic. It didn't even have the damn story.

Top Bottom