• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

I am still properly angry about how this game was just chucked out and left to rot, shame on you Avalanche, shame on you.

Same, never completed it after they made the performance even worse, which is incredible. Avalanche did such a good job with JC2, so sad to see them fail so bad with this game.

vypek

I am still properly angry about how this game was just chucked out and left to rot, shame on you Avalanche, shame on you.

Yeah, I'm honestly pretty bitter about it. I wonder if they'll keep up with the series or if this is the final entry.

Same, never completed it after they made the performance even worse, which is incredible. Avalanche did such a good job with JC2, so sad to see them fail so bad with this game.

It was their newer studio in New York that did this game. Not really an excuse for some of the odd decisions and problems I guess. Chaos points are useless, too many locked down things, odd performance issues, etc. Wish they focused on patches for problems people complained about over DLC. But I guess that isn't going to happen.

danowat

Banned
Yeah, I'm honestly pretty bitter about it. I wonder if they'll keep up with the series or if this is the final entry.

I mean, I am as angry as I can be about something game related (which in the grand scheme of things isn't particularly angry), but I think that we won't see a JC4, at least in it's currently form, I wouldn't mind betting that the take a leaf out of R*'s book and make something like GTA:O, which appears to be a license to print money.

I haven't even tried to run it on steam since a couple weeks after it came out. Not sure if they improved performance, but I stopped bc it was super shitty.

Guess that's what I get for buying a game at release 🙃

Edit: I have a gtx770 and an i5-2500k oc'd to 4.2ghz

Disktrasa

Banned
Its like 25 bucks on eupsn now, and xl like 30 bucks.

I loved JC2 but haven't bought 3 yet, mainly because I've read so much bad about the game, mostly technical issues, but is the game fun like JC2?

Is it worth 25, i think i will stick with standard edt if i will buy it.

Its so damn hot here in Sweden now, must buy a new game =)

OVDRobo

Depends on your outlook.

It's still fun to fly around and blow things up, and the new wingsuit and some of the items the DLC adds make it even better.

The problems with this game lie on a technical and mission design level. Most of the missions, from the main story mission to the optional side missions that you have to do to unlock items and abilities that make 'just blowing stuff up' fun to do are seemingly designed completely against the spirit of Just Cause games, requiring precision control and aiming with systems that are clearly not built for them.

I'm sure you already know about the technical performance issues, but the most recent patch made the game somehow perform worse despite the fact many people had been waiting for it to be released because it was cited as a performance patch. In the multiple months since the patch that made the game run awfully was released, the developers have barely communicated anything, yet have kept churning out DLC to get more money without issue.

Short answer: Don't buy this game if you believe that paying money for something entitles you to respect as a consumer. If you don't care about that, you could do worse, but it's worse than JC2 on multiple levels.

I haven't even tried to run it on steam since a couple weeks after it came out. Not sure if they improved performance, but I stopped bc it was super shitty.

Guess that's what I get for buying a game at release 🙃

Edit: I have a gtx770 and an i5-2500k oc'd to 4.2ghz

Me too. R9 290X and FX 8370, still ran like complete ass. Can't express my disappointment after enjoying Mad Max so much.

Disktrasa

Banned
Depends on your outlook.

It's still fun to fly around and blow things up, and the new wingsuit and some of the items the DLC adds make it even better.

The problems with this game lie on a technical and mission design level. Most of the missions, from the main story mission to the optional side missions that you have to do to unlock items and abilities that make 'just blowing stuff up' fun to do are seemingly designed completely against the spirit of Just Cause games, requiring precision control and aiming with systems that are clearly not built for them.

I'm sure you already know about the technical performance issues, but the most recent patch made the game somehow perform worse despite the fact many people had been waiting for it to be released because it was cited as a performance patch. In the multiple months since the patch that made the game run awfully was released, the developers have barely communicated anything, yet have kept churning out DLC to get more money without issue.

Short answer: Don't buy this game if you believe that paying money for something entitles you to respect as a consumer. If you don't care about that, you could do worse, but it's worse than JC2 on multiple levels.

Ok then, thanks for the input, i will not buy this game then, maybe when its like 10 bucks i might dig in...

joesploggs2

Neo Member
I rented this game (PS4) but it continuously crashed for me to the PS4 menu any time I went to any of the massive bases. I've saw a recent patch the other week- did anyone else experience crashing and know if this is fixed?

eshwaaz

Depends on your outlook.

This is a terrific summary. There were certainly moments where I was really enjoying myself, but the game also fell short and frustrated in so many ways. Maybe my biggest disappointment of this gen.

Mifune

Mehmber
This is a terrific summary. There were certainly moments where I was really enjoying myself, but the game also fell short and frustrated in so many ways. Maybe my biggest disappointment of this gen.

Liberating towns and whatnot is so much fun. But the story missions are not, and they seem to get worse as the game goes along. The last handful are truly terrible.

I stopped playing this game because I got bored of its repetition, and I loved Just Cause 2. This isn't nearly as good.

I need to finish it, and the completionist inside of me will want to buy/beat all the DLC when it's on sale. But is it really even worth bothering with the 'expansions'?

OCD Guy

So is this game playable yet on PS4?

I uninstalled it back in March when the epic fail patch dropped promising better frame rates and optimization :p

Well I recently purchased this game on sale and the performance is awful.

I would actually describe it as unplayable and for once that's not hyperbole.

At times the game turns into a slideshow and is impossible to play. If ever a game was worthy of a refund on PSN this would be it.

Yet DLC is still dropping like everything is ok....

I really wish Sony would have a refund policy the way Origin, Steam etc do.

It's funny how Arkham Knight received so much criticism when it released on PC but it was pulled from sale and refunds were issued, yet here we are with Just Cause 3 and because it's the console version, it's acceptable to have a game that runs like absolute shit.

It's not even as though I'm expecting perfection, Assassin's creed unity after patching was enjoyable for me and I completed it despite still encountering framerate issues, but Just Cause is on a next level.....

Has anybody found a fix for the glitch where a rebel drop vehicle won't unlock despite having liberated the correct base/area?
The CS7 thunderhawk is glitched for me,I've gotten all collectibles and liberated everything.

there was never an issue with the pc version as far as i'm concerned, played through it all at 4k 50+fps on a titan x, no stutter, no problems
Prolly bc you're running it on a Titan x

Two of us mentioned problems on this page, plus I'm sure there's more in the rest of the thread.
Guess I could try it out tonight, tho. Would be nice if I was wrong lol

GHG

Prolly bc you're running it on a Titan x

Two of us mentioned problems on this page, plus I'm sure there's more in the rest of the thread.
Guess I could try it out tonight, tho. Would be nice if I was wrong lol

I'll also chime in and say that I've experienced solid performance on my i5 3570k + 980ti setup.

If you adjust the settings according to your computers specs then you should be able to get it running well.

Wil348

I bought the game off PSN yesterday and while I am really enjoying the core gameplay, the game does run like complete shit. It's a real shame too because while it is enjoyable for me it's just unpleasant to look at. I would really like to recommend the game to friends who wanted to pick it up during the sale but it just runs so poorly that I told them to wait.

Avalanche really need to fix this, worry about Bavarium Sea Heist later and actually make the game run properly.

mike6467

I had it running acceptably on a 3770k + 7970 Ghz edition, by acceptably I mean it was settings between medium-high and keeping 30FPS outside of super intense scenes. I just upgraded to a 980ti I got for cheap, and now I can keep 60 without a problem and settings nearly maxed.

I get that there were performance issues even if I never saw them, which is a real shame, because for what the game is I had a great time with it. I loved the traversal and it's still one of my go to unwinding games to relax, fly around, look at pretty landscapes and just blow stuff up.

OCD Guy

I bought the game off PSN yesterday and while I am really enjoying the core gameplay, the game does run like complete shit.

I think that's the most frustrating thing, because the game is good fun. But it got to a point where the fps was not dropping briefly, but turning into a slideshow for a what felt like far too long and it was happening too often.

As I'm digital I'm hoping for one of two things to happen, a patch that actually gets the game to be playable at a more constant 30fps, or when the "Neo" releases and it get's a 60fps patch.

If I'm honest I would be more happy with a 60fps update if the new playstation releases. Obviously in an ideal world I'd like a patch now and later but the reality is the game will likely stay as it is.

If I was physical or there was a good refund policy I would have sold the game by now and re-bought it at an even cheaper price if a patch dropped.

It's a shame because when there were public outcries regarding the performance of driveclub then refunds were actually issued by Sony without much trouble, but it seems the performance of Just Cause 3 has flown under the radar.

I appreciate that I am pickier than most people, but I refuse to believe the people that say they have not encountered any frame rate drops on the PS4, and there are actually people on this thread that have said that.

I have a similar setups (6700,980) ~90fps

This specific area is rather very demanding and you'll get even better performance in other regions.
In general the game seems to prefer strong cpus over gpus´.

980,i5 3570k performance for comparison ~50fps

Is the 3570k really bottlenecking there? Neither the CPU or GPU are being fully utilized compared to the first image. I mean we know JC3 is pretty CPU heavy, especially when there's shit flying about but I'm not sure that 53.6FPS is on the CPU there.

ISee

Is the 3570k really bottlenecking there? Neither the CPU or GPU are being fully utilized compared to the first image. I mean we know JC3 is pretty CPU heavy, especially when there's shit flying about but I'm not sure that 53.6FPS is on the CPU there.

And on what else? I'm using the same 980, the same operating system (win10), same ssd (500gb 850 evo), same PSU, same case, same cpu cooler etc.
And before you ask: My 3570k was overclocked to 4.3ghz, ran on a z77 board and had 16gb of ddr3 2400mhz ram. As you can see nothing was thermal throttling, voltages and power was also okay and I'm for sure not running something else in the background. Still I had to deal with many situations were JC3 went below 50fps.

Also as you mentioned the GPU load wasn't maxed and CPU load doesn't need to be at 99% on all threads to indicate that it's running at it's limit. A high CPU load (above 70%) and a GPU load below 90% is already an indication and a good clue.
To give you an example. I also did some testing with deactivated HTT on my new 6700k. CPU load went up to ~80%, fps went down and GPU load also went down to 89%.

For a long time I was under the impression that 'older' CPUs (especially overclocked i5s) are a perfect match for high end gpus. I was even planing on just upgrading my 980 in the future and to use my 3570k for one or two more years. Luckily I didn't. Before I upgraded my CPU I ran some games and took screenshots in areas that I remembered to run 'bad' on my PC. After upgrading I replayed those areas and to my own surprise fps were generally ~25fps higher in Witcher 3, GTA V, Batman AK and they even nearly doubled in JC3.

Disktrasa

Banned
Wow, i have played like all day long, really love this game, played JC2 so much once in a time and this feels so good, glad i bought the xl edition, Bavarium Suit <3

OK, the story is kinda meh and the voice actors sucks and so on, but the game is just so much fun, and thats why i play games; to have fun.

When it comes to how the game runs, maybe it was because i read so much negative things about the game before i bought it, but i don't have any problem to play the game, sure the framerate dips at time and the loading times are still to long, but i have no problem to play and enjoy the game.

It feels like i will play this game forever right now.

And on what else? I'm using the same 980, the same operating system (win10), same ssd (500gb 850 evo), same PSU, same case, same cpu cooler etc.
And before you ask: My 3570k was overclocked to 4.3ghz, ran on a z77 board and had 16gb of ddr3 2400mhz ram. As you can see nothing was thermal throttling, voltages and power was also okay and I'm for sure not running something else in the background. Still I had to deal with many situations were JC3 went below 50fps.

Also as you mentioned the GPU load wasn't maxed and CPU load doesn't need to be at 99% on all threads to indicate that it's running at it's limit. A high CPU load (above 70%) and a GPU load below 90% is already an indication and a good clue.
To give you an example. I also did some testing with deactivated HTT on my new 6700k. CPU load went up to ~80%, fps went down and GPU load also went down to 89%.

For a long time I was under the impression that 'older' CPUs (especially overclocked i5s) are a perfect match for high end gpus. I was even planing on just upgrading my 980 in the future and to use my 3570k for one or two more years. Luckily I didn't. Before I upgraded my CPU I ran some games and took screenshots in areas that I remembered to run 'bad' on my PC. After upgrading I replayed those areas and to my own surprise fps were generally ~25fps higher in Witcher 3, GTA V, Batman AK and they even nearly doubled in JC3.

I've been trying to replicate it but I can't do an apples to apples comparison because I'm using a 2500k at 4.5GHz and a EVGA SSC 970 (OC'd to 1530/43 but then lowered to 1525/38) with 16GB of RAM at 1866MHz and no idea what your settings are but after putting everything on very high, 16xAF in NVIDIA's control panel, with SMAA, SSAO (haven't bothered with GI since I haven't heard anything about it being fixed), water tessellation and motion blur, edge fade and DoF off, I also disabled Vsync in RTSS which I usually have locked at 60 and no noticable drops outside moments of large scale destruction or at least did I haven't played a lot since the supposed performance updates so maybe they're not as bad now. I don't doubt your i5 was a bottleneck in spots especially with this game, especially when going over 60FPS but that's just an odd drop that I couldn't replicate outside something non-game related happening, the worst performance drops I've had were for a split second after taking screen shots in Steam but just flying around Surpicco I wasn't seeing drops into the 50s, even in instances when GPU utilization dropped for a very brief moment.

My instances where I'm sure my CPU started to bottleneck:
http://i.imgur.com/7Gj7oIO.png
http://i.imgur.com/g1TlL03.png

This is one instance that I don't remember what happened but when I had my GPU on the stock factory OC and my normal, lower (just Shadows and LOD set to high instead of very high) settings that I'm 100% sure it wasn't a bottle neck issue.
http://i.imgur.com/C1JCTHg.png

And a couple others:

http://i.imgur.com/GijsGqX.png
http://i.imgur.com/bmQc6Q4.png

I need to change those OSD font settings.

I've been planning to replace my 2500K in 2018 with a Cannonlake i7 (or whenever it comes out) but I might move that up to the first half of next year and a Kaby Lake i7 if I really start feeling the need to.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I went ahead and reinstalled the game after hearing the game was patched up a bit and also bought the season pass after hearing good things about it. I had a nasty crash where the game was actually making my computer reboot(!). I did some troubleshooting and it recommended turning off the game's internet firewall access. The game has no multiplayer function anyways so I feel the game's "logging in" was nothing but a further DRM check anyways. It fixed the problem and the game seems like it runs smoother as well. Running the game at 1080p with the Nvidia optimized settings. Pretty much getting 60 fps at all times with a few slight hiccups but overall I'm happy with the performance now.

Windows 8 i5-3330 @ 3.00ghz
8 gig memory
Asus Superclocked Nvidia 970 4 gig
Xbox One controller
1 terabyte hard drive

Just got done playing the Skyfortress DLC and it's hella fun. Basically Rico is Iron Man now with a powered flight suit with built in heat seeking missles and machine gun. Really fun stuff. Just flying around like Iron Man taking out targets resulting in big explosions is pretty satisfying.

You can grab the season pass for $20 after 20 percent off at Green Man Gaming btw.

Ugh. I am done with the game on PS4. Time to eBay my copy I think. It boggles the mind how the game is still an unplayable mess after all this time.

4 patches in...

Still a slide show? Check!
Still getting weird lights flickering on the side of buildings? Check!
Buggy ass AI and NPCs? Check!

I am curious. How would it run on my PC?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
16384MB RAM

GeForce GTX 670

Can the motion blur be turned off on PC?

DrBo42

Picked it up on PC in the Steam sale. Game is using 15.5gb of my 16gb of RAM and causing my rig to be a stuttering mess. Any fix for this? Running a 6700k and a 980ti. Feel like the first time I ran it, it was fine but since then it's been maxing my memory.

I know I asked this a couple of months ago...
But does anybody know how to fix a vehicle not unlocking on the rebel drop menu? I've 100% take overs & collectibles but it still says griffon military Base is locked T_T
Re-capturing does nothing.
I have tried googling... If anybody has had something similar happen... Let me know -_-

vypek

I know I asked this a couple of months ago...
But does anybody know how to fix a vehicle not unlocking on the rebel drop menu? I've 100% take overs & collectibles but it still says griffon military Base is locked T_T
Re-capturing does nothing.

Might just be a glitch in the game that wasn't fixed if it is never registering the unlock.

Might just be a glitch in the game that wasn't fixed if it is never registering the unlock.
Yeah but other people have it unlocked and similar glitches in other games normally a weird workaround... I just can't find anything for this other than other people it has happened to(with different vehicles) on Playstation.

Hip Hop

Did something change with patches on the PC?

A month or two ago I was able to max it out and hold 30fps for most of the time on a GTX 670.

Now it's just a stuttering mess, freezing for 1 second here and there.

Falchion

Really wish I had this game on PC instead of Xbox. I'm almost done with the story but I have no desire to do any more past that including the really fun challenges because the performance is just so bad. Anytime I'm in a town or a base the framerate drops into single digits to the point where I can pull out an assault rifle and line up headshot after headshot due to the bullet time.

DrBo42

A month or two ago I was able to max it out and hold 30fps for most of the time on a GTX 670.

Check your memory usage. It's probably maxing on you like mine is.

abracadaver

How do you destroy the mech loading stations in the new DLC without an energy weapon?

I've dropped the weapon and I can't request it from the rebel drop. Normal weapons don't do damage to the mech stations. The next mission is locked because I have to take over the bases first.

ArjanN

How do you destroy the mech loading stations in the new DLC without an energy weapon?

I've dropped the weapon and I can't request it from the rebel drop. Normal weapons don't do damage to the mech stations. The next mission is locked because I have to take over the bases first.

Get in a mech and use it's gravity gun.

whyman

I had the same problem. Here is how I solved it:

Disconnected the Xbox one controller. Ran as administrator. Forced triple buffering via nvidia control panel. Used "best performance" in my gfx card control software. I really think it was just the Xbox one controller but who knows.

Top Bottom